LCD-X and XC Update
Oct 8, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #1,096 of 2,722
I want to retract what I said about the LCD-XC (2021) vs LCD-2Closed (2020).

I could tell the resolution and separation was superior on the XC but after a week of listening vs a few hours its super apparent how nuanced/detailed/textured the XC is compared to the LCD2 closed.
The LCD2 closed (2020) have a "veiled" sound compared to the XC.
While the dynamics in the XC are more apparent due to resolution the LCD2 bass hits harder than the XC but it doesn't match it's resolution and texture.
Also, treble and mids are more prominent on the XC which contributes to the more balanced, refined sound.
The LCD2 Closed Backs have a emphasis on the low end and sacrifices the mid frequency nuances you can pick up on live recordings like when a guitarist has twangy new strings for example.

Theres always a trade off but as much I thought I would prefer the bass of the LCD2 closed back (2020) the less bass but more textured and technical LCD XC (2021) have replaced them without a doubt.

PS Im about 5 beers in this Friday.

Oct 9, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #1,098 of 2,722
Just acquired a pair of these. There is a surprising amount of detail packed in their sound. Question I have is what are you guys using to power these? I've kinda been in and out of the hobby over the years and my "favorite" amp is a tube amp and Im not sure the output impedance is a great match. I also have an older magni and its maybe just a tad bright and metallic sounding when paired with the X. Anyway looking to try something else maybe even balanced? gasp! Not looking to spend a ton (under 400-500)
any insights appreciated.

Oct 9, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #1,099 of 2,722
Just acquired a pair of these. There is a surprising amount of detail packed in their sound. Question I have is what are you guys using to power these? I've kinda been in and out of the hobby over the years and my "favorite" amp is a tube amp and Im not sure the output impedance is a great match. I also have an older magni and its maybe just a tad bright and metallic sounding when paired with the X. Anyway looking to try something else maybe even balanced? gasp! Not looking to spend a ton (under 400-500)
My macbook pro for now… waiting for chord to either make more mojos or come out with something new to replace the mojo. They don’t need heaps of power but something like the mojo is clean yet characteristic enough to make these cans shine. That or a tube hybrid would be a great pairing. Or you could go burson or audio gd.

Oct 9, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #1,100 of 2,722
I am on my 6th diffent LCD model currently. While they do not require a ton of power to sound okay. They are way better with a good amount of power and they can handle a lot. Better in what way? Most of the increase in power benefits the bass. Bass tightness, accuracy, extension, impact and texture (detail to me). I think the bean counters (& marketing) at Audeze want everyone to believe they are ‘very good’ with an iphone or pc jack. This way more people will buy them without being hesitant because of a perceived need to also invest in an amplifier. But then when you really dive into it you find that 1 watt or a little more (and good current) is where the magic happens. For all of the LCD’s that I have owned the 1.3 W (6.53 VRMS) of the JDS Labs Element II has been about perfect. Leaves enough headroom for pre amp correction when using EQ as well. For my taste I have never heard a tube amp that I liked with Audeze headphones OTL, Hybrid or otherwise. To me, with these, the lower output impedance the amp has, the better. The higher damping factor really plays well with all of the Audeze/Planar positive attributes.

Oct 9, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #1,101 of 2,722
I ended up updating my EQ again to the following. With burn in, this headphone just keeps evolving and changing in sound. It is quite the little chameleon. This EQ is the best thus far for my LCD-X 2021.

Pre-Amp = -5.5

21Hz = +3 Q 1.41
30Hz = +1 Q 1.41
60Hz = +1.5 Q 1.41
80Hz = +0.5 Q 1.41
100Hz = +0.5 Q 1.41
400Hz = +1 Q 1.41
500Hz = +1 Q 1.41
750Hz = -0.5 Q 1.8
1kHz = +0.5 Q 3
1.9kHz = +1 Q 3
3.5kHz = +3.5 Q 4
4.1kHz = +3 Q 2
5kHz = +0.5 Q 2
8.2kHz = +1.1 Q 2
11.9kHz = -2.8 Q 1.8

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #1,102 of 2,722
Since none of you people would sell me your XC, I went and bought one at Audio46.

Literally just got them out of the box, my only comment so far is that it would be cool to swap the cups with the marble carbon that the LCD-2C has, rather than old-school 3K carbon. Or maybe add the carbon fiber headband? that's 3K as well. hm.

Oct 10, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #1,103 of 2,722
Since none of you people would sell me your XC, I went and bought one at Audio46.

Literally just got them out of the box, my only comment so far is that it would be cool to swap the cups with the marble carbon that the LCD-2C has, rather than old-school 3K carbon. Or maybe add the carbon fiber headband? that's 3K as well. hm.

Yeah, the marble look of the LCD 2 is pretty sweet but the new XC is lighter (I’m not sure if the carbon fiber has anything to do with it though) and the new pads smell amazing!

It’s like an intense butter smell. Too bad mines is starting to fade..enjoy your new XC. What're you pairing it with?

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #1,104 of 2,722
Yeah, the marble look of the LCD 2 is pretty sweet but the new XC is lighter (I’m not sure if the carbon fiber has anything to do with it though) and the new pads smell amazing!

It’s like an intense butter smell. Too bad mines is starting to fade..enjoy your new XC. What're you pairing it with?
Currently I have an ifi idsd BL that im hoping handles these well enough.

Any consensus on what amp pairs best?

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #1,105 of 2,722
Currently I have an ifi idsd BL that im hoping handles these well enough.
I haven't heard the BL for a long time now but my iFi diablo pairs well with it and they have the same DAC. I also have an iFi Zen Can I use a lot when I want more lows.
The X bass is always fun when listening to something like house/techno and shows how deep that LCD bass can reach and maintain its texture.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #1,106 of 2,722
Rebel amp - sounds amazing with the LCD-X 2021

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #1,107 of 2,722
I have a pair on the way, the creator edition w/case. I have a Schiit magni 3+ on the way as well. I'm reading this version is a little more musical out of the box, and do not need to EQ as much. Are these revisions still worth it? I hear the bass has been recessed a bit, and that's kind of a concern, but as I said apparently its more refined tonally which may hopefully make up for it? I didn't realize how underpowered the atom is, and the magni should bump the bass up quite a bit, even on the revisions?

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #1,109 of 2,722
I have a pair on the way, the creator edition w/case. I have a Schiit magni 3+ on the way as well. I'm reading this version is a little more musical out of the box, and do not need to EQ as much. Are these revisions still worth it? I hear the bass has been recessed a bit, and that's kind of a concern, but as I said apparently its more refined tonally which may hopefully make up for it? I didn't realize how underpowered the atom is, and the magni should bump the bass up quite a bit, even on the revisions?
Let me know how it goes with that set up please. I'm considering buying the LCD-X revision and was curious about which DAC and Amp pair well with it. I was thinking Schiit too, as I've read it pairs well together. Not too sure on what other products though, I'm still doing some research.

Oct 11, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #1,110 of 2,722
I haven't heard the BL for a long time now but my iFi diablo pairs well with it and they have the same DAC.

Although they feature the same DAC chips, they sound quite differently. Your Diablo sounds quicker and more authoritative, while micro iDSD BL is warmer and calmer. That's the rough idea and micro iDSD Signature's sound characteristic is somewhere in-between them.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back