LCD 2C Vs. ELEX - Yes, that question again - Endgame Headphone Suggestion
Mar 29, 2021 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

XioXsj

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm brand new on this forum from Tbilisi/Georgia. While I appreciate Music, I have had only HD238 Sennheiser's which I've bought in Japan and which are really very good for the size. Other than that I have Klipsch RP-600M's Bookshelf Speakers running on NAD D3020 V2, they sound ULTRA mega clean to me, but perhaps not very dynamic... I dunno... they are super clean, but somehow they do not make me move as much as my simple powered Presonus Eris 4.5 PC speakers do... Not complaining through, really love my Bookshelves.

Ehem, my question: Audeze "LCD 2C" or Focal "ELEX" for my Endgame?

Joshua valor - LCD 2C Vs. ELEX

MDS - LCD 2C Vs. ELEX

These guys make very good reviews, but I need an advice in the context of the music I listen to and I also want to hear your opinions regarding how should I power those Headphones? Would it be fine if I just use Presonus Eris 4.5 Headphone jack in the front? Is it a better idea to buy a DAC and use my motherboard's TOS-link? (NAD is not the best option as I use it to power my speakers on my TV and generally I prefer to listen music on headphones while at the PC).

Music Type: I mainly listen to Classic Rock, but also some Indy-pop/rock like stuff and even some PC game soundtracks.

Led Zeppelin

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Half Moon Run

L'Impératrice

Metric

Earth

Pelican

The Marías

Creedence Clearwater Revival

The Beatles

Flobots

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Soundtrack

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind Soundtrack

Tiberian Sun

Stuff like that...

You know, I just want the music to sound really intimate and make me wanna not my head. Those Sennheiser's actually do that, but I think I'm ready for my Endgame.
I understand the technical difference between Planar and Dynamic drivers, but I've never heard them myself. So my point is probably, which one would feel more mind-blowing? I think I like Audeze a bit more (probably because it looks a bit crazy compared to regular headphones)... but they both seem to be very solid.

What do you think? Thanks!

Mar 31, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 18
LCD-2C are really great all around headphones. I don't think you can go wrong with them. They're slammin, lively, warm, just easy listening while still being engaging enough.

I haven't heard any of the Focals.

Jul 1, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #3 of 18
lcd 2c i bought

Jul 1, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #4 of 18
lcd 2c i bought
Are you happy with them?

LCD-2C are really great all around headphones. I don't think you can go wrong with them. They're slammin, lively, warm, just easy listening while still being engaging enough.

I haven't heard any of the Focals.
In a way I also started considering LCD X , just because everybody seems to say they are a real step-up from 2C, but I'm not sure if I personally need that.

Jul 1, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 18
I got them today, not much critical testing yet. They are heavy, but very comfortable pads and headband. Very clean sound. I do not notice any need for eq, they sound to me great already. I bought a b-stock, all looks like new, except the conector has a bit of the plastic ring broken.

2021-07-01 19.38.08.jpg

The have all the bass you want to put them. Will depend on your equipment of course. I think focal is a dynamic driver... they are not very reliable according to comments, and the sound signature is very hd6xx, so better take the 6xx instead of a focal.

I´m not sure I will keep these LCD, not sure yet, depends if I can handle them and see the improvement in sound quality compared to a 200€ 6XX

Jul 1, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #6 of 18
I got them today, not much critical testing yet. They are heavy, but very comfortable pads and headband. Very clean sound. I do not notice any need for eq, they sound to me great already. I bought a b-stock, all looks like new, except the conector has a bit of the plastic ring broken.

2021-07-01 19.38.08.jpg

The have all the bass you want to put them. Will depend on your equipment of course. I think focal is a dynamic driver... they are not very reliable according to comments, and the sound signature is very hd6xx, so better take the 6xx instead of a focal.

I´m not sure I will keep these LCD, not sure yet, depends if I can handle them and see the improvement in sound quality compared to a 200€ 6XX
Hey, great thanks! Hope you enjoy them a lot! Please provide some comments after a few weeks. Also, will you be using some sort of a converter of the connector to 3.5 jack?

Jul 1, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 18
Well, these type of cable are expensive, that kind of adapter would be perfect, gonna look for some. Any link?

Jul 1, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 18
Jul 1, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #9 of 18
what do you want to connect them to? The connector is already like a motorbike grip big almost, LOL, if you put that, then it's dildo big size, hahah. Better get an adapter with a bit of cable in between, or just a new cable. I thought you meant adapters for each can, each side, to be able to use hifiman cables, for example, sundara cables, much cheaper...

I will get for me a 2m 4pin xlr cable 16 core copper 51$ aliexpress shipped... best deal I could find.

Jul 1, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #10 of 18
what do you want to connect them to? The connector is already like a motorbike grip big almost, LOL, if you put that, then it's dildo big size, hahah. Better get an adapter with a bit of cable in between, or just a new cable. I thought you meant adapters for each can, each side, to be able to use hifiman cables, for example, sundara cables, much cheaper...

I will get for me a 2m 4pin xlr cable 16 core copper 51$ aliexpress shipped... best deal I could find.
Generally to PC, over the usual 3.5 jack, sometimes to NAD amp (but rarely), I could also try connecting it to Presonus 4.5 Eris active speakers (they have 3.5 out on the front), unless they degrade the sound quality. I understand I'm not doing it in a audiophile way, but I just want amazing cans for general PC music listening.

Jul 1, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #11 of 18
Soundstage is huge on these things, with an r2r dac, it's like 2x 3D. Maybe a tiny mids scoop somewhere, another peak on the highs, narrow but... no harsh though. My dac is not high res, so these cans sound plenty resolving, not missing any more detail. Detail is over-rated.

Jul 1, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #12 of 18
Generally to PC, over the usual 3.5 jack, sometimes to NAD amp (but rarely), I could also try connecting it to Presonus 4.5 Eris active speakers (they have 3.5 out on the front), unless they degrade the sound quality. I understand I'm not doing it in a audiophile way, but I just want amazing cans for general PC music listening.
Well, then this is not what you want really. I see you are new here... If you want open cans, get a sennheiser hd6XX from drop, 200$. For closed, DT770 pro 80Ohm, for example, or sennheiser hd25, best bass I heard in my life, for 130$ I guess, 150$ maybe... hd25, very versatile.

Now, these audeze are a heavy clonk brother, this is for fat ass people, or for listening to music meanwhile you are on the 50th floor of a manhattan 5 ave nueve apartment and they are injecting you heroin in the arm, and it its connected to a 2000-4000$ system. This is not for connecting directly to a pc.

For that, my advise, get 99$ schiit amp, 99$ schiit dac, and one of these headphones, or a few of them, after that try more expensive stuff... Sundara is great planar headphones also at 350$.

My total system is 4000€, speakers included, so these cans are appropiate. I started like you, but get sennheiser. Sennheiser and beyer is like porsche/bmw/audi/wolkswagen. Audeze is like ferrari or koenissig or mac laren. So this is like a cheap MacLaren, Elex more suitable for you then, but I would get a nice porsche if I was you, Beyer 770 pro 80ohm... hd6xx, hd-25...

Audeze connected to pc is like a maclaren lo buy groceries or bring the kids to school and they puke inside.

Jul 1, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #13 of 18
Or get the audeze plus a 200-400$ system. In USA you have schiit modius + magnius, 400$ top system. 1000$ total with the audeze, that is a killer setup.

Jul 1, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #14 of 18
Are you happy with them?

In a way I also started considering LCD X , just because everybody seems to say they are a real step-up from 2C, but I'm not sure if I personally need that.
lcdx not worth it brother. People here lost theis head long ago, me too. Just like in the Scpecialty Coffee they lost their ****ing mind long long time ago, and in the cycling forums they are buying 2-5000€ carbon fiber wheelsets...

2C are already expensive for what they are really, and they are already heavy and uncomfortable. LCDX, even heavier, much more expensive... no way... unless you have a 30K collection and a 20K system...

but you need a proper system man, between that pc and the headphones, you need a DAC+AMP

Jul 1, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #15 of 18
Or get the audeze plus a 200-400$ system. In USA you have schiit modius + magnius, 400$ top system. 1000$ total with the audeze, that is a killer setup.
Yeah, that is an option too. I wanted to avoid overcomplicating it, but this might be the way.

Now, these audeze are a heavy clonk brother, this is for fat ass people, or for listening to music meanwhile you are on the 50th floor of a manhattan 5 ave nueve apartment and they are injecting you heroin in the arm, and it its connected to a 2000-4000$ system. This is not for connecting directly to a pc.
Haha, I like the sound of that.

My total system is 4000€, speakers included, so these cans are appropiate. I started like you, but get sennheiser. Sennheiser and beyer is like porsche/bmw/audi/wolkswagen. Audeze is like ferrari or koenissig or mac laren. So this is like a cheap MacLaren, Elex more suitable for you then, but I would get a nice porsche if I was you, Beyer 770 pro 80ohm... hd6xx, hd-25...
I have simple HD238 Sennheiser's and I think they are GREAT, but after these years I am ready for a step up.

2C are already expensive for what they are really, and they are already heavy and uncomfortable. LCDX, even heavier, much more expensive... no way... unless you have a 30K collection and a 20K system...
Yeah... and I'm buying for US amazon which means... +18% import tax and the shipping... LCD 2C's will easily cost me 1000 bucks.
The weight... is actually a serious factor... my neck is anyway not in the best shape due to TV in front of the bed and YouTube/Netflix watching habit before I go to sleep... /:
Those Sennheiser's are so light, but I've had them since 2010 and now the cable is breaking apart...

I think I'll build that Shiit Magnus system and take LCD 2C. I know Sundara is great, but it just feels like a half-step... it will feel like settling for something instead of marring a girl you always liked (even if you get divorced at some point...). The thing is, I'm really looking for an endgame for me that is why I avoid Sundara's even if they are much better value compared to Audeze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back