LCD-2 vs SE535
Aug 14, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 11
Uh I have never heard the LCD-2 but the SE535 do not sound like any full sized headphone that has a touch of bass. I personally never liked the Shures since they were bass anemic and sounded overly bright/sibilant to me, but then again I'm extremely sensitive to the high registers. From what I've read about the LCD-2, it seems that the SM3s would be closer to them than the SE535s would be.

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 11
If the SE535 is bass anemic then so are half the full sized headphones on the market.

Quote:
Uh I have never heard the LCD-2 but the SE535 do not sound like any full sized headphone that has a touch of bass. I personally never liked the Shures since they were bass anemic and sounded overly bright/sibilant to me, but then again I'm extremely sensitive to the high registers. From what I've read about the LCD-2, it seems that the SM3s would be closer to them than the SE535s would be.

Aug 15, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #6 of 11
... I personally never liked the Shures since they were bass anemic and sounded overly bright/sibilant to me,.

Huh? I've owned the Shure 535 and the 530 and bass anemic and bright/sibilant are NOT what they were. I sold them because I thought the bass was too bloomy and the highs rolled off too soon for me.

I can see where the OP could think the Shure 535 and LCD2 might sound similar. And to disagree with Peter just a little bit, to some extent they do. The somewhat rolled off top, sweet mids and smallish staging could give a bit of a similar taste. The bass is far superior in extension and quality on the LCD2 though. That said, Peter has both the Shure and LCD2 now and I've heard them at different times with a long period of time in between hearing them. So I can't disagree with him too strongly. lol. :)
... I personally never liked the Shures since they were bass anemic and sounded overly bright/sibilant to me,.

Huh? I've owned the Shure 535 and the 530 and bass anemic and bright/sibilant are NOT what they were. I sold them because I thought the bass was too bloomy and the highs rolled off too soon for me.

I can see where the OP could think the Shure 535 and LCD2 might sound similar. And to disagree with Peter just a little bit, to some extent they do. The somewhat rolled off top, sweet mids and smallish staging could give a bit of a similar taste. The bass is far superior in extension and quality on the LCD2 though. That said, Peter has both the Shure and LCD2 now and I've heard them at different times with a long period of time in between hearing them. So I can't disagree with him too strongly. lol. :)

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #7 of 11
I'm just speaking from personal experience, and the bass anemic aspect is a bit exaggerated due to how overly silibant they were to me in the high mids and low treble given the pairing I had with my setup at the time. I was a bit confused given their frequency response but I guess you can't always judge headphones from their graphs. I liked most of the other mid-centric IEMs I've owned but the SE535s just weren't for me.

Quote:
If the SE535 is bass anemic then so are half the full sized headphones on the market.

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #8 of 11
Did you try all the different tips? It really sounds like you had a bad seal.

Quote:
I'm just speaking from personal experience, and the bass anemic aspect is a bit exaggerated due to how overly silibant they were to me in the high mids and low treble given the pairing I had with my setup at the time. I was a bit confused given their frequency response but I guess you can't always judge headphones from their graphs. I liked most of the other mid-centric IEMs I've owned but the SE535s just weren't for me.

Aug 15, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #9 of 11
Yea I tried all the tips, the only ones that sort of worked were the yellow foamies and the olives. I couldn't listen at all with the silicone tips. With the volume turned down really low, they were okay but once again they sounded bass light to me at that point. I'm not sure if it was a problem with my specific pair but I liked the sound from the Westone UM3X much more. That's why with all that I've been reading about the LCD-2 I thought it was a bit weird for them to be compared to the SE535, but then again I guess people had a different experience from what I've had with the SE535s.
confused.gif

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:

I can see where the OP could think the Shure 535 and LCD2 might sound similar. And to disagree with Peter just a little bit, to some extent they do. The somewhat rolled off top, sweet mids and smallish staging could give a bit of a similar taste. The bass is far superior in extension and quality on the LCD2 though. That said, Peter has both the Shure and LCD2 now and I've heard them at different times with a long period of time in between hearing them. So I can't disagree with him too strongly. lol.
smily_headphones1.gif

I can see where the OP could think the Shure 535 and LCD2 might sound similar. And to disagree with Peter just a little bit, to some extent they do. The somewhat rolled off top, sweet mids and smallish staging could give a bit of a similar taste. The bass is far superior in extension and quality on the LCD2 though. That said, Peter has both the Shure and LCD2 now and I've heard them at different times with a long period of time in between hearing them. So I can't disagree with him too strongly. lol.
smily_headphones1.gif

What disagree with me? LoL.
smile.gif

I agree with Ross, the bass is far from anemic (the FR Graph clearly shows flat bass down to 10Hz). Tonally they are similar as my friend from Philly so eloquently put it, but bass impact, definition, SS are not the same to my ears.

Aug 18, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #11 of 11
Sorry gents, but I don't think they sound in any way alike. I found the SE535 closed in, and slightly 'tubey' or nasal in their forward mids. Highs were similar to the LCD-2 (not rev. 2), but the rest of it... not a chance. And that deep rich bass of the LCD-2, nonexistent in the 535.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back