LCD-2 (especially the Rev2 Driver) or HE-500??
Mar 3, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #181 of 271
Personally, I do find the frequency balance similar to HD600, but may be better extended at both end. Bass is punchier and stronger, and midrange has more body. I can't comment on the detail and veil aspect, I find neither of them veiled, at least when properly fed. Disclaimer: this is based on memory, I have not compared them back to back.

Compared to the K701, the HE-500 has more body and weight and presence, bass is also stronger and punchier. Sound stage is more typical of headphone, the ultra large sound stage of AKG is atypical IMO.

Mar 4, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #182 of 271
Btw, after 50 hours, the sound stage has opened up and the sparkle came. The treble is smooth and very clean, it might be the best treble I have heard out of my headphone rig. It sounded like what I have heard when I auditioned it, except the treble is much smoother and cleaner and less piercing that what I heard out of my portable rig.

Mar 4, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #183 of 271
Agreed, somehow I am growing to love the HE-500 more and more everyday.  That could be burn-in or mental adjustment.  In any case, it's a fine headphone.  Airy and detailed.  Would like to hear the HE-500 with a tube amp.

Quote:
Btw, after 50 hours, the sound stage has opened up and the sparkle came. The treble is smooth and very clean, it might be the best treble I have heard out of my headphone rig. It sounded like what I have heard when I auditioned it, except the treble is much smoother and cleaner and less piercing that what I heard out of my portable rig.

Mar 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #184 of 271
I have the HE-500 running out of a Cary SLI-80 sig and simply love it. 

If the HD600 is like the HD650 (which I assume) it is very am-dependant. I think people compare HE500 to the HD600 because they feel HE500 to be more similar to HD600 than HD650 if they had to choose one. Both are often used as references. You shouldn't worry about that. HE500 is a different beast. 

Quote:
Getting closer and closer to purchasing the HE-500.  Quick question though:  I see some comparisons to the HD600, which I did not like at all (too dark and veiled, inarticulate/mushy bass), how much is that true?  Also, how do they compare to the AKG K701's?

I'll be running them out of a Cary SLI-80 Signature F1, DC, All Triode int amp.

Apr 14, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #185 of 271
So I'm in this boat too...and this is a bit of a bump, but I've been following the measurements on both of these....and I've noticed that the HE-500 and other headphones that people have labeled as having nice treble...actually have less square highs. The measurements have a significant treble overshoot in the 300 Hz square waves. So is hotter treble better? Or is it simply presentation? I listen to jazz, hip-hop, funk, r&b, and classical about equally...so I'm really stuck...

Kojaku

Apr 24, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #186 of 271
2 weeks ago i was confused which one is better, after a lot of research and reading it seems that LCD-2 has edge over the HE-500 in some genre like rock,hip-hop, pop, and modern recording in general which tends to be on the bright side. and some may prefer the hifiman sound in jazz and classical due to the spacious soundstage and less dark sound. so i went for the LCD-2 which suits my need perfectly.

good luck with your choices

Apr 24, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #187 of 271
I also did alot of research and was considering the HE-500 and the LCD-2 r2 I decided to go with LCD with preference for rock music. I am not regretting it, love the sound. sharp, punchy fast, treble dances on your brain and plays louder without bordering on distortion. These planars go loud! Very clear spacious headphones...:)

Aug 18, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #188 of 271
Can anyone offer an opinion on the "glare" or "ringing" effect that some have experienced (including myself) with the HE-500. Does the LCD-2 exhibit this characteristic or is it a general trait of the technology?

Thanks

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #192 of 271
HE500'S ARE MY CURRENT FAVORITES WITH ACOUSTIC MUSIC AND SURPRISINGLY WITHA LOT OF ELECTRONICA.....IT SOUNDS REALLY DIFFERENT WITH DIFFERENT AMPS THOUGH (SCHITT LYR IS NICE).....CHANGE TO CARDIS CABLES HELPED ALSO.....AS NOTED ELSEWHERE THEY SOUND A TAD DARK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back