LCD-2 (especially the Rev2 Driver) or HE-500??
Jan 20, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #123 of 271
LCD-2 had big depth, smaller soundstage than T1, loved the mids but treble was missing something.  The warmth from the T1 blended everything together but the sound had no heft, felt like paper.  My brain couldn't find the separation so I heard a wide but flat soundstage.  He-500 is the best balance for me, from Bifrost/Lyr (Siemens tubes).  If I want more speed, space and air, HE-6 but I'm waiting for Schiit's "statement" products for that.  The NFB-10SE drove them well though.

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #124 of 271

Quote:
LCD-2 had big depth, smaller soundstage than T1, loved the mids but treble was missing something.  The warmth from the T1 blended everything together but the sound had no heft, felt like paper.  My brain couldn't find the separation so I heard a wide but flat soundstage.  He-500 is the best balance for me, from Bifrost/Lyr (Siemens tubes).  If I want more speed, space and air, HE-6 but I'm waiting for Schiit's "statement" products for that.  The NFB-10SE drove them well though.

Do you have both NFB-10SE and bifrost/lyr? If so can you do a quick comparison?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #125 of 271
Look like my HE-500's have finally been shipped, but they're not due to arrive until Tuesday.  I might not actually have them until Wednesday, though, since I have class/work all day on Tuesday.

But yeah, I'll be posting comparisons here soon.

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #126 of 271

Quote:

How were the HE-500 with the NFB-10SE? Were the HE-6 notably better than the HE-500 on the 10SE?

Jan 21, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #127 of 271
No longer having the 10SE and HE-6, I can't make a competent comparison between amps and dacs from memory.  But on the 10SE, the HE-6 had a different presentation; less sub bass, larger space and an absolute black background with more shimmer and sparkle on the highs (no sibilance).  It's what the HD800 hoped to be, imo.

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #129 of 271

Quote:
oh, sure they're lifeless.
good at everything, but very analytical

I find it funny you'd say they sound lifeless. I find the realism of certain instruments with these headphones extremely natural and effortless. Piano and vocals are transmitted amazingly and are unmatched compared to other headphones I've tired/had. Of course, the lcd2's have nicer bass which is undeniable, and HD800s do strings better. But the he500's is definitely not lifeless; not even close in the slightest 

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 23, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #130 of 271

Quote:
I just got my HE500 yesterday ....  They sound (and kind of feel) to me like a improved Sennheiser HD600, but I wouldn't say these can compete with the HD800.

I'll try to spend more time with them but it looks like I may be moving them along soon -- back to the drawing board!  Next up are probably balanced RS-1i, maybe even trying LCD-2 rev1 based on all the new classifieds.

I had a well broken in pair of lcd2's for a weekend, and I felt somewhat the same as you did about the he500, except they sounded like a much improved HD600. Re the 800's, there is simply no comparing the soundstaging of the hd800 vs lcd2, just as there there is simply no comparing the bass and meatiness of the lcd2 vs the 800. My preference is for the spaciousness and comfort of the senn's, but I do wish there was more meat on its bones.

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #131 of 271
T1 is HD800 with more meat :wink:

Quote:

I had a well broken in pair of lcd2's for a weekend, and I felt somewhat the same as you did about the he500, except they sounded like a much improved HD600. Re the 800's, there is simply no comparing the soundstaging of the hd800 vs lcd2, just as there there is simply no comparing the bass and meatiness of the lcd2 vs the 800. My preference is for the spaciousness and comfort of the senn's, but I do wish there was more meat on its bones.

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #133 of 271

by the way - would you kindly compare your experience with T1, LCD2 and HE500 ?

This is not a review, but a quick comparison :) Here's a list of random parameters that I feel separate them enough to rate them:

Treble impact/brightness: T1>HE500>LCD2
Mids warmth: LCD2>HE500>T1
Bass impact HE-500>LCD-2>T1
Deep bass LCD-2>HE-500>T1
Bass bloom HE-500>LCD-2>T1
Fun-factor HE-500>LCD-2>T1
Soundstage depth T1>LCD-2>HE-500
Soundstage width/sense of openness HE-500>T1>LCD-2
Wearing comfort for me: HE-500>T1>LCD-2
Drop-to-the floor preference (solidity): T1>HE-500>LCD-2
Value for money: HE-500>>Both
If I was to keep only one: HE-500 (most of the time...)

Detail retrieval is excellent on all cans. I prefer the soundstage of the T1, the treble of HE-500, the mids of LCD-2 and the bass of both orhthos, depending on the music. The HE-500 feels more up front, T1 more distant. BTW I preferred the T1 to HD800 on all parameters. IMO T1 is a more intimate, slightly warmer version of the HD800 (roughly said) - I always felt the HD800 too analytical, cold and distant. Though it creates an extreme and fascinating sense of detail, which I partly attribute to its bright treble. 

I presently own the orthos, and the only thing I really miss from the T1 is the soundstage, which is the best I ever heard, including HD800 and Stax O2. If I was not so sensitive to bright cans I would feel an urge to purchase the T1 again... 

DISCLAIMER: I didn't compare the T1 side by side with the orthos, but owned it long enough to feel my impressions should hold up. edit:  Further, my sound preferences is like this: I prefer "warm" to analytical, "natural" to "neutral" sound. I have an issue with brightness (fatigue-wise), thus e.g. Grados are out of the question (but I basically like them otherwise). Also; I really like the HD650. 

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #134 of 271
Thanks for the quick comparisons, can really help someone on the bubble

Is bass bloom a negative or positive aspect? 
How about detail?  Or is that too subjective because different gear may have been in use at the time you had these cans.

EDIT: nevermind about the bloom
Bloom = [size=medium]
A quality of expansive richness and warmth, like the live body sound of a cello.[/size]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Treble impact/brightness: T1>HE500>LCD2
Mids warmth: LCD2>HE500>T1
Bass impact HE-500>LCD-2>T1
Deep bass LCD-2>HE-500>T1
Bass bloom HE-500>LCD-2>T1
Fun-factor HE-500>LCD-2>T1
Soundstage depth T1>LCD-2>HE-500
Soundstage width/airiness HE-500>T1>LCD-2

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #135 of 271

Quote:
by the way - would you kindly compare your experience with T1, LCD2 and HE500 ?

Quote:
T1 is HD800 with more meat :wink:

It'is kind a funny that T1 and HD800 are the two cans that i just dont get enough out of them. But still i like the Lcd-2 very much. Well this just tells how different human beings we are :). Im not saying that they were bad, They just didnt fit somehow. Or in the other hand im just stupid and dont know nothing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back