LCD-2 (especially the Rev2 Driver) or HE-500??
Jan 18, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #106 of 271

Quote:

2) That must depend on the source, on my 3 amps LCD-2 is the one that is a hair or five louder, depending on the amp.  

I have to agree with swbf2cheater, my HE-500 is louder on all. How can that depend on your source? (real question, not criticism)

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #107 of 271
I didn't think the HE500 had any 3D effect whatsoever.. It actually sounded exactly like two monitors are right in front of me instead of several all around me (which is what I prefer). I'm definitely going to try to get my hands on a T1 or LCD2 soon.

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #108 of 271
Then we just have to use the same amplifier to get consensus. I didn't ment source amplifier, not source as in a DAC :) Sorry for any confusion

Quote:
I have to agree with swbf2cheater, my HE-500 is louder on all. How can that depend on your source? (real question, not criticism)

T1 is IMO opinion master of 3D. Was too bright for me, though, but it's a GREAT headphone

Quote:
I didn't think the HE500 had any 3D effect whatsoever.. It actually sounded exactly like two monitors are right in front of me instead of several all around me (which is what I prefer). I'm definitely going to try to get my hands on a T1 or LCD2 soon.

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #109 of 271

Quote:
Then we just have to use the same amplifier to get consensus. I didn't ment source amplifier, not source as in a DAC :) Sorry for any confusion

T1 is IMO opinion master of 3D. Was too bright for me, though, but it's a GREAT headphone

I'm pretty sensitive to "brightness" if its sibilant... was that the case for you? I find the Denons too bright at times, I can't listen for very long without needing to give my ears a break..

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #110 of 271
just wondering if someone in this thread have thunderpants and can compare the weight with lcd2/he500?

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #111 of 271

Quote:

I'm pretty sensitive to "brightness" if its sibilant... was that the case for you? I find the Denons too bright at times, I can't listen for very long without needing to give my ears a break..

Go for HD800s or T1s if you want the "3D effect" you described. I've found this to be a relative weak point of all planars.

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #112 of 271
Haven't heard the D7000

The HD800 is certainly brighter than T1 (I had both), and FWIR the Denons seem to have a brighter reputation than T1, but you should get some opinions from pepole who have heard/own both.

But LCD-2 is pretty good at the 3D IMO, but it's like 3D in a smaller room than T1. (I have the rev.1 LCD-2 )

Quote:

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #113 of 271
Your view on things add diversity, swbf2cheater. Diversity is good.

The LCD-2r2 plays louder than the HE-500 when the amp volume pot is in the same position. Variences in experience in these matters might be caused by different pads on different HE-500. When I changed the original pleather pads on a T50RP to velour; I had to turn the volume up quite a bit to compensate. The original velour pads on HE-500, the pleather and the new velour pads would impact the "sensitivity" in the same matter, I would think.

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #114 of 271

Quote:

I just got my HE500 yesterday and I was struggling to come up with how I wanted to describe the soundstage and I think this does a decent job of it.  Coming from the HD800, the HE500 doesn't feel as intimate to me.   I am listening balanced and my initial impressions so far are that I don't find any huge faults with them but they don't jump out at me in the way I was hoping; I came to this finding after only a few minutes of listening however.  They sound (and kind of feel) to me like a improved Sennheiser HD600, but I wouldn't say these can compete with the HD800.

I'll try to spend more time with them but it looks like I may be moving them along soon -- back to the drawing board!  Next up are probably balanced RS-1i, maybe even trying LCD-2 rev1 based on all the new classifieds.

Jan 18, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #115 of 271
If you love the HD800 and initialy don't like the HE-500 - I would think you won't like the LCD-2 either. Sorry.

Jan 18, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #116 of 271
Which one do you prefer female vocals, the HE-500 or HD-800?  From what I am reading the orthos have an edge with meaty mids while the HD800 may have an edge in soundstage width and detail.  

Quote:
I just got my HE500 yesterday and I was struggling to come up with how I wanted to describe the soundstage and I think this does a decent job of it.  Coming from the HD800, the HE500 doesn't feel as intimate to me.   I am listening balanced and my initial impressions so far are that I don't find any huge faults with them but they don't jump out at me in the way I was hoping; I came to this finding after only a few minutes of listening however.  They sound (and kind of feel) to me like a improved Sennheiser HD600, but I wouldn't say these can compete with the HD800.

I'll try to spend more time with them but it looks like I may be moving them along soon -- back to the drawing board!  Next up are probably balanced RS-1i, maybe even trying LCD-2 rev1 based on all the new classifieds.

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #117 of 271

Quote:

felt the same way about the HE500s, they just didn't "wow" me the way I was hoping.

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #118 of 271
I think that's just the orthodynamic sound. From my extensive experience with the LCD2 and my demos of the HE500 and HE6, they didn't really have expansive and enveloping sound, but they made up for it by being more enjoyable and natural sounding than the HD800 and T1 (IMO), The HE6 was probably the only one that had the expansive experience going for it, but it's mids weren't as meaty as the LCD2/HE500's.

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #119 of 271
Just give it some time you guys. Listen to the HE-500 ONLY for about a week, I know you will catch the ortho bug
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #120 of 271
to me they sounded like improved Beyerdynamic DT880/600ohm
technologically advanced, but totally lifeless like Beyers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back