LCD-2 and treble.
May 7, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #2 of 290

Quote:
I want to purchase the Lcd-2 but im concerned about the laid back treble response.
Is this something to worry about?

I'm worried.  I've had them ten days.  Still waiting for the top to open up.

May 7, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #4 of 290
I haven't found the top end to be "laid back" in any way. Perhaps it's not as "in your face" as the signature Grado sound but every last bit of detail is there along with a great sense of airiness around the instruments. What they don't have is the top end distortion that is present in so many 'phones that may make some feel that something is lacking at the top of the frequency range with the LCD-2's.
I did find that the top end sound hardened on dynamic peaks when driven to high volumes by my MF M1-HPA but this went away as soon as I changed amp so once again the LCD-2s proved that they will reveal whatever is going on before them.

May 7, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #5 of 290
Geo3,

Have you heard the HiFiMan phones? Compared to them, the 2s have a recessed high end in comparison. I feel it's because the tuning of the 2s are more for bassheads and the HEs are tuned more in the mid high/highs. Both are full sounding and very clear.

May 7, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #6 of 290
Not heard the HiFiMan 'phones but it makes me curious as to how we are describing these things. When you describe a sound as having a recessed top end, what does that mean to you, lower level, further back in the mix or just relatively muffled and lacking detail or sparkle ???

May 7, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 290

I recommend you pick up a pigtail adapter and try them out of your Nova's speaker taps.

The treble is pushed back to account for the fact that the drivers are right next to your ears (unlike with a speaker setup), but they are not rolled off in any way...very extended treble response. But they do need MOAR POWER to open up.

May 7, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #8 of 290
Geo3,

Have you heard the HiFiMan phones? Compared to them, the 2s have a recessed high end in comparison. I feel it's because the tuning of the 2s are more for bassheads and the HEs are tuned more in the mid high/highs. Both are full sounding and very clear.

Or this can be option #2. :D

May 7, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #9 of 290

Quote:
Quote:

I recommend you pick up a pigtail adapter and try them out of your Nova's speaker taps.

The treble is pushed back to account for the fact that the drivers are right next to your ears (unlike with a speaker setup), but they are not rolled off in any way...very extended treble response. But they do need MOAR POWER to open up.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have a friend (w/HE-5LE) who also owns Vincent HP amp, Yarland HP amp and Dynaco 70 triode.  I will try these, and the Hifiman, next week.  Incidentally, the sound stage is kinda weird, too.  There's left and right and a little bit of center, and not that wide either.  More power?

May 7, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #10 of 290
Thanks for the suggestion.  I have a friend (w/HE-5LE) who also owns Vincent HP amp, Yarland HP amp and Dynaco 70 triode.  I will try these, and the Hifiman, next week.  Incidentally, the sound stage is kinda weird, too.  There's left and right and a little bit of center, and not that wide either.  More power?

With orthos...absolutely. :D

I initially ran my LCD-2s from my Concert (a very good match no doubt), but picked up a Silver Dragon aftermarket cable to help out with the treble response. Fast-forward to a few months ago and using my Schiit Lyr (4W into 50 ohms) and the treble is simply outstanding. The LCD-2 (and HE-6) really need the extra power to fully "open up".

May 7, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #11 of 290
The highs aren't as strongly presented as the HEs. Because the bass of the 2s are more dominant, I feel it takes your attention away from the highs. I didn't get to try the 2s on many amps but those that I did try, they kept the same character.

May 7, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #12 of 290

Doesn't make sense. Rolled off treble is rolled off treble regardless of it being a headphone or speaker. All the power in the world isn't going to make the treble neutral, but if you like it, you like it.

May 7, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #13 of 290
The LCD-2 is a bit too rolled off ... it's lovely sounding though.  The new HE-500 is less bright and a lot closer to neutral than the previous models. It sounds damned good too. 

May 7, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #14 of 290

Doesn't make sense. Rolled off treble is rolled off treble regardless of it being a headphone or speaker. All the power in the world isn't going to make the treble neutral, but if you like it, you like it.

I guess I have trouble with that as well.  How does just more power alter the FR?  Must be something else going on.

May 7, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #15 of 290

There is a big difference between pushed back treble (by design to account for the drivers being right next to your ears) like on the LCD-2s vs. rolled off a cliff like the SE530/HD650....BIG. :mad:

As Skylab put it, this is a fact and not up for argument wrt the LCD-2s, they extend very nicely up to 20kHz. May it be too far pushed back for your liking...well to each his/her own. On the SE530s or HD650s, it's simply falls off a cliff...that is rolled off.

And might I ask you your experience with orthos and powerful amps to make these claims? :wink:

My experiences are first hand, but thanks for coming out and being so respectful of others. Nice. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back