LCD-2 and LCD-3 Owners - which aftermarket cable do you use?
Mar 26, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #2,191 of 2,398
Hear hear, ianmedium.
As a sidenote to my (positive) initial impressions of the Silver poison ("mark II"):

one minor drawback of the Silver Poison : the separation point of the cable where the thick part turns into two thin white plastic cables is quite BIG, quite heavy, and keeps getting stuck in the clothes, table et al. More than a bit annoying.

Obviously and as told by its maker, this "ferret" plays a part in the final sound quality, but...
If you fear this part is going to be as annoying to you than it is to me, Frank can make a "ferret-free" version of the cable without it. Be sure to tell him about what you want!

Mar 26, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #2,192 of 2,398
Hear hear, ianmedium.
As a sidenote to my (positive) initial impressions of the Silver poison:

Obviously and as told by its maker, this "ferret" plays a part in the final sound quality, but...
If you fear this part is going to be as annoying to you than it is to me, Frank can make a "ferret-free" version of the cable without it. Be sure to tell him about what you want!

Good information Antonze, I must admit that bit is a bit big but the cable I am getting now won't have it as it is Naked compared to the sheathed version I have at the moment. Frank told me the new cable is really attractive to look at so I am glad I am going this way. With the first one I went for the RF shielding but thinking about it I am not in situations where that is much of a problem!

Can't wait for it to arrive. As a side. I have only caught the ferret a couple of times so it is not too much of an issue for me . Also I only have a four foot length of cable so that reduces a lot of problems with longer lengths dragging around!

Mar 26, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #2,193 of 2,398

Quote:
Good information Antonze, I must admit that bit is a bit big but the cable I am getting now won't have it as it is Naked compared to the sheathed version I have at the moment. Frank told me the new cable is really attractive to look at so I am glad I am going this way. With the first one I went for the RF shielding but thinking about it I am not in situations where that is much of a problem!
Can't wait for it to arrive. As a side. I have only caught the ferret a couple of times so it is not too much of an issue for me . Also I only have a four foot length of cable so that reduces a lot of problems with longer lengths dragging around!

is frank able to rewire the k701 with the toxic cable and remove all the internal wires that go around the headband?

Mar 26, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #2,194 of 2,398
is frank able to rewire the k701 with the toxic cable and remove all the internal wires that go around the headband?

I am not sure, I think he just sells cables and does not re-cable but you might want to shoot him an email and ask.

Mar 26, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #2,195 of 2,398

Quote:
I don't have the time and patience to read the whole thread with all the spam inside :)
Please, recommend me cables which can increase the bass of my LCD-2 r.2. It's insufficient for my taste.

Cables aren't going to help as an EQ that way - at best they can increase or decrease the transparency and/or micro-detail.  I'd be looking at the source or amp for more bass.

Mar 26, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #2,196 of 2,398
If all else fails, new headphones? 
blink.gif

Quote:
Cables aren't going to help as an EQ that way - at best they can increase or decrease the transparency and/or micro-detail.  I'd be looking at the source or amp for more bass.

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #2,198 of 2,398
Mar 26, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #2,201 of 2,398
I think the Bass issue is that many do not know what good bass really is! I think people have got used to over-bloated bass that you get with Dre's or the sort of thing one sees with Honda Civics trunks packed to the rafters with bass bins and amps.. That, in my opinion is not good bass!

Mar 26, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #2,202 of 2,398
Each individual may interpret "good bass" differently; for instance, good bass to an audiophile may be that textured, enveloping bass the LCD2 has to offer, while good bass to the average person may be bloated boomy bass that cans such as the XB500 offer, and finally good bass to a cinephile may be an earth-shattering rumble that movie theatre speaker systems present. In my opinion, we have no power nor right to label what "good bass" really is, because it's a matter of personal preference. Now, if we added "to me/us" after "good/enough bass," it'd be a different story.

I think he just needs time to adjust to the LCD2's sound, rather than seek for more bass quantity.

Quote:
I think the Bass issue is that many do not know what good bass really is! I think people have got used to over-bloated bass that you get with Dre's or the sort of thing one sees with Honda Civics trunks packed to the rafters with bass bins and amps.. That, in my opinion is not good bass!

Mar 27, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #2,205 of 2,398

Quote:
Low end EQ really cripples the LCD 2...It gets soooo flabby. At least from what I've done with it. 

A nice hardware EQ might yield better results, but various software EQs have yielded poor results for me.

I rarely use EQ myself as a sonic additive after the fact.  Recently though I found myself applying it to Miles Davis Quintet Live In Europe 1967 - The Bootleg Series Vol. 1 in order to bring it to life.   

Software EQ can be very tricky, most people do not know how to use it properly as it really takes a completely different touch to apply it than hardware EQ.  I have used both software and hardware EQ over the years as a professional editor/mixer and sometimes composer. I would only use it during a mix on various tracks but like I mentioned very rarely on a finished track after it has been Mastered.

It is extremely easy to go overboard very quickly with software EQ.  Most of the software EQ available to the average user is garbage to begin with and then gets applied too much.   I have about 30 different third party EQ AU's I use with LOGIC and Garageband many of them can be installed into playback applications like Fidelia for use.  Applications like Fidelia using a high quality professional software EQ is a good route to go these days because hardware EQ is unlikely to get looked at.  

Personally I have tried many an EQ with the LCD-2 and I have found that the LCD-2 and its bass response is great just the way it is, for a headphone that is.    

I'm just convinced BRAT may simply be a bass head and needs a headphone that goes in that direction.  I'm a detail/imaging/soundstage freak myself which is pretty much why I went back to speakers.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back