LCD-2 and LCD-3 Owners - which aftermarket cable do you use?
Mar 11, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #2,132 of 2,398

Recently we have had issues with our spam filter, you have a PM.
Quote:
Good luck with that. Sent him two emails to place an order and never got a reply.

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #2,134 of 2,398
[size=medium]Speed, detail, clarity, if your LCD's sound veiled try the Toxic SPC cable it really opened up the treble over the stock cable everything is better I do not think you can get a better cable for your LCD's for any ware near the price I love it and I think you will to. For the price try it you can't go wrong! [/size]

Mar 15, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #2,135 of 2,398

Oh well, now that sounded like a commercial! Let's see now...

I just got my LCD-2's fresh from repair (btw: thank you Alo Audio, what an awesome service! It took exactly one week to send back the cans from UK to USA and get a replacement pair shipped back, for free!)... and thus could try my Toxic Silver Poison cable (pure occ silver), at last.

With my original LCD-2's, I had the "old" stock cable, very thick and stiff. With the new cans came the new (?) stock cable, a very thin and flexible "flat" cable, looking quite cheap tbh.

OK, so on to the Silver Poison cable.
It's the first time I've been using a custom cable in my life, and I'm also quite new to the whole audiophile affair, so please bear with me if what I write here seems stupid.
I had absolutely no prejudice on custom cables, and wanted to try one to see for myself if it really affects the sound.

Well, it does.

Long story short: the Silver Poison gives amplitude to the sound. The whole sound feels more firm and powerful. The instruments separation gets better, and above all, the highs are more refined and present. Overall, it's quite an improvement, except perhaps for the fact that the "extra" bonus in the treble section can emphasize sibilance on tracks very prone to the problem. LCD-2's with the stock cable are almost never sibilant, which makes everything a pleasure to listen to with them. With the silver cable, it can go just the extra bit on those tracks to make the sibilance apparent.
Don't get me wrong: the cable won't magically transform the LCD-2's into bright headphones. It's just that the extra clarity that it conveys on every level can push forward some treble peaks that you didn't get to "feel" with the original cabling.
Is it a good or bad thing, I can't say. Overall, I am very pleased with the new cable, particularly with classical music which I sometimes found a bit underperforming with the LCD-2's because of the narrow soundstage and oh-so-slight (but nevertheless real) recessed treble.

(Some) tracks used for comparison:
Duke Ellington and Louis Armstrong - Solitude : better texture and imaging on the whole, clearer sound. Extended treble, but the sibilant peaks on the vocals are more present.
Bireli Lagrene - Limehouse blues : far better texture with the new cable, slightly harsh treble peaks on some guitar picks (I mean harsher than with the stock cable. Nothing painful :wink:.
Pearl Jam - Of the girl (binaural recording) : Mh... Far better instruments separation and clearer sound, but the extra treble somehow bothered me.
Metallica - Master of puppets : Here, I wander if the slightly "veiled' and muddier sound of the stock cable doesn't work better... Uh, but the custom cable sounds so much clearer...
Austra - Beat and the pulse: again, big improvement on the treble, but I wander if I didn't prefer the muddier sound of the stock cable for that kind of music (electro).
J.S. Bach - Cantate BWV71 : the biggest improvement with the new cable. The voices are much clearer without ever being too much.
Alexander Scriabin - Sonate no 5 (Sviatoslav Richter) : again, clearer sound on the whole spectrum.
Robert Schumann - Violin concert in D minor (Szeryng, Dorati): better imaging, far clearer highs. Magnificent violin.

My very personal and subjective conclusion would be: if you're listening only to metal/electro, you can stick to the stock cable. For everything else, the change is worth it.

PS: Please bear in mind that my opinions might also be influenced by the difference (?) in sound with my "old" LCD-2's which were thorougly burnt in before I got them, whereas those I used for cable comparison are brand new. I have no experience on LCD-2's burn in and its relevance: they may or may not sound "brighter" and thus influence my impressions. I really can't say... 

Sound chain: Flac>Yulong D-100>Heed Canamp>LCD-2 rev.2.

PPS: one minor drawback of the Silver Poison : the separation point of the cable where the thick part turns into two thin white plastic cables is quite BIG, quite heavy, and keeps getting stuck in the clothes, table et al. More than a bit annoying.
EDIT: If you fear this part is going to be as annoying to you than it is to me, Frank can make a "ferret-free" version of the cable without it. Be sure to tell him about what you want!!!

Mar 16, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #2,136 of 2,398
Hi, I'm just wondering whether anyone has taken the plunge and bought the Toxic Cables flagship "Venom" cable - with its 8 solid rectangular 18awg pure OCC silver conductors? It looks completely OTT - but I must admit, that really appeals to me!
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #2,137 of 2,398

Quote:
Hi, I'm just wondering whether anyone has taken the plunge and bought the Toxic Cables flagship "Venom" cable - with its 8 solid rectangular 18awg pure OCC silver conductors? It looks completely OTT - but I must admit, that really appeals to me!
biggrin.gif

yh it looks really nice i wish i could have it for my k701 lol

also im wondering if toxic cables guy can wire the silver poison cable to my k701's and also replace the internal wires...

Mar 16, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #2,138 of 2,398

Quote:
biggrin.gif

Do you know just how thick that is? That'd literally be hanging speaker cable off your head.  And solid wire? Are you kidding?

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #2,140 of 2,398

Quote:
biggrin.gif

How strong is your neck?

Mar 17, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #2,141 of 2,398

Thanks for your impressions. Would be interesting to know if there are any changes after a few hundred hours of use.
Quote:

Oh well, now that sounded like a commercial! Let's see now...

I just got my LCD-2's fresh from repair (btw: thank you Alo Audio, what an awesome service! It took exactly one week to send back the cans from UK to USA and get a replacement pair shipped back, for free!)... and thus could try my Toxic Silver Poison cable (pure occ silver), at last.

With my original LCD-2's, I had the "old" stock cable, very thick and stiff. With the new cans came the new (?) stock cable, a very thin and flexible "flat" cable, looking quite cheap tbh.

OK, so on to the Silver Poison cable.
It's the first time I've been using a custom cable in my life, and I'm also quite new to the whole audiophile affair, so please bear with me if what I write here seems stupid.
I had absolutely no prejudice on custom cables, and wanted to try one to see for myself if it really affects the sound.

Well, it does.

Long story short: the Silver Poison gives amplitude to the sound. The whole sound feels more firm and powerful. The instruments separation gets better, and above all, the highs are more refined and present. Overall, it's quite an improvement, except perhaps for the fact that the "extra" bonus in the treble section can emphasize sibilance on tracks very prone to the problem. LCD-2's with the stock cable are almost never sibilant, which makes everything a pleasure to listen to with them. With the silver cable, it can go just the extra bit on those tracks to make the sibilance apparent.
Don't get me wrong: the cable won't magically transform the LCD-2's into bright headphones. It's just that the extra clarity that it conveys on every level can push forward some treble peaks that you didn't get to "feel" with the original cabling.
Is it a good or bad thing, I can't say. Overall, I am very pleased with the new cable, particularly with classical music which I sometimes found a bit underperforming with the LCD-2's because of the narrow soundstage and oh-so-slight (but nevertheless real) recessed treble.

(Some) tracks used for comparison:
Duke Ellington and Louis Armstrong - Solitude : better texture and imaging on the whole, clearer sound. Extended treble, but the sibilant peaks on the vocals are more present.
Bireli Lagrene - Limehouse blues : far better texture with the new cable, slightly harsh treble peaks on some guitar picks (I mean harsher than with the stock cable. Nothing painful :wink:.
Pearl Jam - Of the girl (binaural recording) : Mh... Far better instruments separation and clearer sound, but the extra treble somehow bothered me.
Metallica - Master of puppets : Here, I wander if the slightly "veiled' and muddier sound of the stock cable doesn't work better... Uh, but the custom cable sounds so much clearer...
Austra - Beat and the pulse: again, big improvement on the treble, but I wander if I didn't prefer the muddier sound of the stock cable for that kind of music (electro).
J.S. Bach - Cantate BWV71 : the biggest improvement with the new cable. The voices are much clearer without ever being too much.
Alexander Scriabin - Sonate no 5 (Sviatoslav Richter) : again, clearer sound on the whole spectrum.
Robert Schumann - Violin concert in D minor (Szeryng, Dorati): better imaging, far clearer highs. Magnificent violin.

My very personal and subjective conclusion would be: if you're listening only to metal/electro, you can stick to the stock cable. For everything else, the change is worth it.

PS: Please bear in mind that my opinions might also be influenced by the difference (?) in sound with my "old" LCD-2's which were thorougly burnt in before I got them, whereas those I used for cable comparison are brand new. I have no experience on LCD-2's burn in and its relevance: they may or may not sound "brighter" and thus influence my impressions. I really can't say... 

Sound chain: Flac>Yulong D-100>Heed Canamp>LCD-2 rev.2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back