LCD-2 and LCD-3 Owners - which aftermarket cable do you use?
Jan 18, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #1,981 of 2,398
Please continue justify my purchase :D

Hopping to get my tracking number soon.
Quote:

I have bought the Norse audio cables for both the HE-6 & LCD-2 and would fully recommend getting them.
I have an ALO 8 chain cable for LCD-2 as well and can't hear any difference between the two. The price difference is substantial, though.
In fact, if you go with the Norse adapter system, it'll give you a lot of options with the various adapters (speaker taps/RSA71B)
Very flexible cables and extremely well priced.
And dealing with Trevor is a real pleasure.

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #1,982 of 2,398
Quote:
Please continue justify my purchase :D

Hopping to get my tracking number soon.

Glad to hear you bought it.
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #1,983 of 2,398
After much thought about things and all the thread reading I started to really confuse myself. It was a hard choice but I came down on the side of the Q cable.
I like how it was best described as just not being there. Plus everybody raves about the ergonomics of the cable, like it just is not there. 

It was really a hard choice. I AM confident that I would not have made a wrong choice either way. Since I am a newb at this, once I decided what cable, Steve helped
with choices I had questions on, and made it a great experience! What I really liked about the Q is that Steve makes no claims that his cable will make my music sound better,
but will make my listening experience a better one. The Stock cable just does not work for me!  I am thankful for the amount of choices I had to choose from
and I am happy with the choice I made!  

At least to me, unless somebody can show and prove to me why silver would sound better I saw no reason to consider it for myself.
PLUS there is a higher cost too. The black and white engineering world I live in just can not mentally buy that changing the metal
will make a difference to justify the cost to me. But that is what makes this hobby so great, we can pick and chose what we
like and I will always respect another's choice!  
smily_headphones1.gif
  I really enjoy reading the threads here. I learn so much and 
continue to learn even more. I can not wait to get the cable to go with my brand new Lyr/Bifrost combo that JUST came in!

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #1,984 of 2,398

Wait did you buy a Q interconnect, too? Impressions please. Thinking about one myself.
Quote:
After much thought about things and all the thread reading I started to really confuse myself. It was a hard choice but I came down on the side of the Q cable.
I like how it was best described as just not being there. Plus everybody raves about the ergonomics of the cable, like it just is not there. 

It was really a hard choice. I AM confident that I would not have made a wrong choice either way. Since I am a newb at this, once I decided what cable, Steve helped
with choices I had questions on, and made it a great experience! What I really liked about the Q is that Steve makes no claims that his cable will make my music sound better,
but will make my listening experience a better one. The Stock cable just does not work for me!  I am thankful for the amount of choices I had to choose from
and I am happy with the choice I made!  

At least to me, unless somebody can show and prove to me why silver would sound better I saw no reason to consider it for myself.
PLUS there is a higher cost too. The black and white engineering world I live in just can not mentally buy that changing the metal
will make a difference to justify the cost to me. But that is what makes this hobby so great, we can pick and chose what we
like and I will always respect another's choice!  
smily_headphones1.gif
  I really enjoy reading the threads here. I learn so much and 
continue to learn even more. I can not wait to get the cable to go with my brand new Lyr/Bifrost combo that JUST came in!

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #1,985 of 2,398
Quote:
Wait did you buy a Q interconnect, too? Impressions please. Thinking about one myself.

I've had a pair of RCA ICs from Q for a while: http://www.head-fi.org/t/552059/aftermarket-cables-for-the-he-6-he-500-etc/15#post_7584131

They're pretty great.  Cable routing is a dream with them, as they're flexible and have no bulk, so they basically go anywhere you want them to.

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #1,988 of 2,398
Hi guys - 

I've reached the point of going for a new LCD-2 cable and what I want is a cable that is sonically transparent, so that the clarity and neutrality of my Lavry DA-10 DAC/Amp makes its way to my LCD-2. I also want a cable that is much lighter than the stock Audez'e cable and for the cable to look great with the LCD-2.

Based on what I've read on this site in the past year, it comes to mind that a Q, Norse, or Double Helix could be the way to go. From what I've said, what cable would you guys suggest?

Many thanks for your time.
Windsor

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #1,989 of 2,398
Quote:
Hi guys - 

I've reached the point of going for a new LCD-2 cable and what I want is a cable that is sonically transparent, so that the clarity and neutrality of my Lavry DA-10 DAC/Amp makes its way to my LCD-2. I also want a cable that is much lighter than the stock Audez'e cable and for the cable to look great with the LCD-2.

Based on what I've read on this site in the past year, it comes to mind that a Q, Norse, or Double Helix could be the way to go. From what I've said, what cable would you guys suggest?

Windsor

Black Q cable for the win! (black to complement the phones and your Lavry DAC - myself I have a brown one to complement the wood of the phones and to sport an old school look)

Take this with a grain of salt though, I haven’t heard the other cables you mention... I’ve only listened to the old and the new stock LCD-2 cables and a home made Mogami one. Th Q beats all of these hands down on all the aspects you are looking for (but I can’t tell you if they are the definite solution for lack of comparisons).

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #1,990 of 2,398
Hi guys - 

Windsor

I would also look at the Toxic Silver poison for an open window on the music, I find them very transparent.

Jan 23, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #1,991 of 2,398
Quote:
Hi guys - 

Windsor

Before getting EAR909 and LCD-3 I used DA11 > Q-Audio (black!) > LCD-2. Highly recommended! You basically describe this setup. Buy a cable with a 4 pole balanced XLR + converter for the future though (I did)! You'll be surpriced when you go balanced (I was).
Now I use the same cable with EAR909 and LCD-3. I love standards!
o2smile.gif

Jan 23, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #1,992 of 2,398

Quote:
Hi guys - 

Windsor

If used with DA-10, I prefer go with copper base cables.

I've try HD600/650 w/Silver Dragon on DA-10 before, it's much brighter in my ear.

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #1,993 of 2,398
Got home my Norse Norn 4-wire cable today. Had a really nice time with the LCD-2. Has hardly used it for 3 months so  it´s new toy syndrome in full effect. Sound even better then I remembered it actually. Once you learn to bicycle I guess.

Really nice cable in a neat package.  Light flexible and soft to touch and give a very good impression regarding build quality. Sonics wise more in common with the SD3 then the stock cable. Stock cable has the most warmth for a double bass concerto I listened to and and voices sound a bit fuller whereas the SD 3 is sometimes a hair brighter and cleaner sounding then the Norn.

SD 3 is not quite as flexible though I doubt I would have a problem with that if I got it at 13 feet also. But slight nudge for the Norse here absolutely.
Best of all was to finally get to hear the LCD-2 balanced :)

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #1,994 of 2,398
Has anyone else tried Artisan Silver's mark2 cable with LCD-2's? I was ready to pull the trigger on endorphins when I ran across a few references to them in some older (2009-10) posts where people raved about them. Apparently there were some quality problems with the Mk1 but the new ones are jacketed with kevlar. I had just got the last ZDT from Eddie Current and wanted to replace the 1/4' plug black dragon I bought with the LCD with a balanced worthy of the amp & phones. OMG! The sound I get now from phones puts my main system to shame.

Their web site only lists the clunky 4-pin pair of xlr termination so I had to special-order it. They found a high-quality 3-pin for me and made them up at no charge. Even though they are located in the UK, the total time from order to delivery (no charge) was < 3 weeks. 

This cable is outstanding in my system. To me, transparency, bass definition, soundstage are critical and this cable brings it on. I have been a hi-fi fanatic for decades and, until now, I have never heard much less owned a system that has so much faith to the sound of music. One thing I always listen for when evaluating when a system is "done" so I can stop buying and trying things to fix it is the sound of metal instruments - especially the simplest ones such as handbells ( Reference Recordings RR-21 Star of Wonder) or triangles, cymbals both brushed and hammered, flutes, cowbells, and especially vibes (God Bless Milt Jackson & Lionel Hampton). Usually it takes a major analog system with years of moving components and cables in and out before these instruments sound really pure and clean with no glaze covering up the upper mids & highs before I can just sit back and listen without ruining the music with figuring out what to change next.

This cable was the last piece in making my system "complete". I have no desire to buy or tweak or fix anything else. Ever.

Oppo BDP-95 -> Audio Art IC3-SE with Xshadow plugs -> Eddie Current ZDT -> Artisan Silver Silver Dream balanced HP cable -> LCD2.2 = Nirvana

Users who are viewing this thread

Back