LCD-2 and LCD-3 Owners - which aftermarket cable do you use?
Jan 24, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #1,996 of 2,398
I use a Norse Audio 4 Norn cable with my LCD-2's. Won't speak for sound quality but I will say that they are some of the best cables I've ever used. They are extremely light, flexible and comfortable to the touch, thanks to the material braiding. They also look magnificent and all the connectors are top notch. Can't complain really. Might put some pics up later.

I think Norse have the right idea. Instead of going all out with superlatively expensive cables that weigh a tonne and are quite impractical to use (albeit look awesome) and for potentially negligible audio differences, they are focusing on affordable looks AND comfort. Hopefully they keep up this trend and don't bring out a pure 024 iridium carbon gold fossil super weave version that costs the price of a top end headphone itself.

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #1,997 of 2,398

I already had the Endorphin cable on my HD650 but decided to try Artisans mk2 cable. The price at the time was £150, now hiked to £400! Burned the cable in for 500 hrs but still prefered the Endorphin.
While the Artisan did some things better like thunderous bass and airier highs, I found the mids a little hard sounding. Sent cable back for refund.
Since then i bought LCD-2 and had the Endorphin reterminated for the Audez'e by James at SAA. Couldn't be happier.
Quote:
Has anyone else tried Artisan Silver's mark2 cable with LCD-2's? I was ready to pull the trigger on endorphins when I ran across a few references to them in some older (2009-10) posts where people raved about them. Apparently there were some quality problems with the Mk1 but the new ones are jacketed with kevlar. I had just got the last ZDT from Eddie Current and wanted to replace the 1/4' plug black dragon I bought with the LCD with a balanced worthy of the amp & phones. OMG! The sound I get now from phones puts my main system to shame.

Their web site only lists the clunky 4-pin pair of xlr termination so I had to special-order it. They found a high-quality 3-pin for me and made them up at no charge. Even though they are located in the UK, the total time from order to delivery (no charge) was < 3 weeks. 

This cable is outstanding in my system. To me, transparency, bass definition, soundstage are critical and this cable brings it on. I have been a hi-fi fanatic for decades and, until now, I have never heard much less owned a system that has so much faith to the sound of music. One thing I always listen for when evaluating when a system is "done" so I can stop buying and trying things to fix it is the sound of metal instruments - especially the simplest ones such as handbells ( Reference Recordings RR-21 Star of Wonder) or triangles, cymbals both brushed and hammered, flutes, cowbells, and especially vibes (God Bless Milt Jackson & Lionel Hampton). Usually it takes a major analog system with years of moving components and cables in and out before these instruments sound really pure and clean with no glaze covering up the upper mids & highs before I can just sit back and listen without ruining the music with figuring out what to change next.

This cable was the last piece in making my system "complete". I have no desire to buy or tweak or fix anything else. Ever.

Oppo BDP-95 -> Audio Art IC3-SE with Xshadow plugs -> Eddie Current ZDT -> Artisan Silver Silver Dream balanced HP cable -> LCD2.2 = Nirvana

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #1,998 of 2,398
SRIDHAR3 : Ha Ha! If you had a pitbull puppy eating your phones you would looking for a Kevlar mod for your phones too! My LCD2's were only 1 week old when my dog buddy Dexter Rexter nibbled the ear cushions and lambskin headband off.

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #1,999 of 2,398

Quote:
I already had the Endorphin cable on my HD650 but decided to try Artisans mk2 cable. The price at the time was £150, now hiked to £400! Burned the cable in for 500 hrs but still prefered the Endorphin.
While the Artisan did some things better like thunderous bass and airier highs, I found the mids a little hard sounding. Sent cable back for refund.
Since then i bought LCD-2 and had the Endorphin reterminated for the Audez'e by James at SAA. Couldn't be happier.

Nothing is worse than a hard or repressed sounding cable - IMO the Norse Norn (in any no of conductors) is the exact opposite of this.  Very natural and open sound.  Adding more conductors to the Norn seems to add smoothness and warmth - I personally really lilked 6 conductors I demoed and might order one.

Jan 25, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #2,000 of 2,398
If they do it's your fault you gave them the idea Naim! 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I use a Norse Audio 4 Norn cable with my LCD-2's. Won't speak for sound quality but I will say that they are some of the best cables I've ever used. They are extremely light, flexible and comfortable to the touch, thanks to the material braiding. They also look magnificent and all the connectors are top notch. Can't complain really. Might put some pics up later.

I think Norse have the right idea. Instead of going all out with superlatively expensive cables that weigh a tonne and are quite impractical to use (albeit look awesome) and for potentially negligible audio differences, they are focusing on affordable looks AND comfort. Hopefully they keep up this trend and don't bring out a pure 024 iridium carbon gold fossil super weave version that costs the price of a top end headphone itself.

Jan 25, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #2,003 of 2,398

Having the cable shown above, I realize why some people described the stock ADZ5 cable as "garden hose". This cable is so flexible that it makes Lcd-2s feel "wireless" and I can put the entire cable in my pocket and not feel much of it. I guess the cotton coating and premium cable material really help the portability here. I really enjoy using this cable with Lcd-2s and an Objective 2 transportable amp. This cable was built for me by "Pingupenguins" at BG Audio.

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #2,004 of 2,398
I have a pitbull and l am happy to say she has not eaten anything to expensive. She is almost seven. However, one time when she was younger she ate a shark jaw. There were little bits of broken sharks teeth all over the floor. It wasn't small either. I must have tasted delicious for her to have thought eating a few hundred shark teeth was worth it.

I would apologize for continuing the off topic conversation, but dogs are awesome, even if they do eat inappropriate things from time to time.
Quote:
SRIDHAR3 : Ha Ha! If you had a pitbull puppy eating your phones you would looking for a Kevlar mod for your phones too! My LCD2's were only 1 week old when my dog buddy Dexter Rexter nibbled the ear cushions and lambskin headband off.

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #2,006 of 2,398
Going back off topic...I like puppies. Puppies falling asleep while playing. Puppies hungry for food. Puppies are my friends as long as they don't poop on my headphones. But, truly, all dogs are awesome. I like them almost as much as kitties.

Steve Eddy just sent me a sample of a Gold and Black cable...and I must say, hot damn, does it make me feel naughty. I love how the length I believe I am getting (3 Ft.) combined with how light the cable is will make the LCD-2 feel wireless. The stock cable sucks Steven Tyler for comfort.

Here's a question...does Moon Audio let you get a cable shorter than 5 Ft.?

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #2,007 of 2,398
Just received an xlr to trs adapter from Steve. I bought my Q cable used here, so this was my first time dealing directly the cable maker. All the praise of excellent service is spot on. Cheers Steve.
beerchug.gif

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #2,008 of 2,398

I want a Corgi... ;~;

Also, 3ft is too short for me. Not sure I could manage with that length.

Quote:
Going back off topic...I like puppies. Puppies falling asleep while playing. Puppies hungry for food. Puppies are my friends as long as they don't poop on my headphones. But, truly, all dogs are awesome. I like them almost as much as kitties.

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #2,009 of 2,398

Quote:
I want a Corgi... ;~;

Also, 3ft is too short for me. Not sure I could manage with that length.

Ha, they're really cute. 
duggehsmile.png

Yeah, I thought that too...until I realized how annoying it is to have excess cable. Either my amp/DAC is right next to me, somewhat near me, or further down my desk. If it's not near me, with the stock 6 ft. Audeze cable, it is constantly all over my desk when I put the LCD-2 on it's stand, getting in the way of other things. Either way, my chair's wheels always roll over it (my cable has marks all over it). My desk is an L and I am in the middle so having my gear next to me is no problem. I believe I am going with 3 feet.

Of course, this means I can't get in bed and listen while I relax, but that's what my Ultrasone PRO 550 is for (9 ft. cable) and it's more comfortable on my pillow as well.

Here's another question: How much does cable quality degrade per foot?

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #2,010 of 2,398

Quote:
Here's another question: How much does cable quality degrade per foot?

I know with my Zu Mobius cable (15' for Senns) I was told by them that having a long run doesn't degrade the sound quality. Nice thing about their mission RCAs also, longer runs, no issues. Some cables are supposed to add some color to the sound as they become longer and longer. I need long cables so this is always a concern of mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back