LCD-2 and LCD-3 Owners - which aftermarket cable do you use?
Sep 12, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #1,066 of 2,398

Quote:
I think wire geometry is much more important, and everyone will hear cables differently because everyone has a different system, different ears, and a different brain.

My system really responds to cable changes much more than I had expected it would or could.  Each cable change I made from USB cable, to balanced cable from DAC to amp and the from amp to headphones was an added improvement.  Was going to try a power cord from Shunyata this weekend but they sent the wrong size IEC.

Sep 12, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #1,067 of 2,398
I wonder if getting the cable terminated in mini 4pin xlr and getting adapters from there will be a better idea than having it terminated in RSA plug and asking one to go out of his way to make an adapter with a female RSA... :|

Sep 12, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #1,068 of 2,398

Quote:
I wonder if getting the cable terminated in mini 4pin xlr and getting adapters from there will be a better idea than having it terminated in RSA plug and asking one to go out of his way to make an adapter with a female RSA... :|

for a small fee i could drill a precisely placed hole in your head and you'd immediately and permanently lose all interest in such things... pm me for pics of the drill...

... that said, the answer to your question is yes.  

Sep 12, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #1,069 of 2,398
If you are really obsessed over minimising number of soldered joints you can always reterminate the cable in the future.

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #1,070 of 2,398

Quote:
for a small fee i could drill a precisely placed hole in your head and you'd immediately and permanently lose all interest in such things... pm me for pics of the drill...

lol

Quote:
If you are really obsessed over minimising number of soldered joints you can always reterminate the cable in the future.

Yeah, I think people obsess over that fact too much.  A lot of people shun the idea of using a balanced to single ended adapter but if you actually measure with a multimeter the difference in resistance it makes you'll see that it's negligible.  Obviously depending on the wire and geometry used it will vary but it shouldn't be more than 0.1 - 0.3 ohms if you have a good solder joint and the plating on the contact pins is of good quality.

Sep 12, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #1,071 of 2,398

Quote:

Epic.

I'm using a Q audio 3.5ft black cable with 1/8 termination, its really nice.

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #1,072 of 2,398

Quote:
Yeah, I think people obsess over that fact too much.  A lot of people shun the idea of using a balanced to single ended adapter but if you actually measure with a multimeter the difference in resistance it makes you'll see that it's negligible.  Obviously depending on the wire and geometry used it will vary but it shouldn't be more than 0.1 - 0.3 ohms if you have a good solder joint and the plating on the contact pins is of good quality.

I myself have no problem using a good quality SE adapter for my balanced cables.  I use a 1-foot APS V3 SE to 4-pin XLR, and when I compared this with HD600 and balanced cable to my APS V3 single ended cable there was no difference in sound signature at all.  When I compared my LCD-2 with Silver Dragon cable on my ZDT using the 4-pin XLR, and then again with single ended adapter on the ZDT there was no difference in sound signature whatsoever.  So, I get all my new cables with a 4-pin XLR, and if I need to use it single ended I just grab the APS adapter.  

Sep 15, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #1,074 of 2,398
Whoa, whoa, whoa, that looks great and more flexible than their older design.  That's a new option, great.  Just found additional pics on their Facebook page.  I'm going to ask Trevor about pricing because I like my current cable but would definitely order another one if at same price just for the additional comfort. 

Quote:
Just ordered these new 4 wire Litz from TigzStudio

Sep 15, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #1,076 of 2,398
These are the ones Trevor had in stock a couple months ago (the ones on the right are the non-adjustable smaller ones).  He may have since got new ones.  You could ask for something different but I think the Y split is needed or else the 4 strands could potentially come undone.

Quote:
Not a fan of that chunk of wood for the Y split. Is there an option to forgo it?

Sep 15, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #1,077 of 2,398

Quote:
Not a fan of that chunk of wood for the Y split. Is there an option to forgo it?

Step 1: Buy a beaver.
Step 2: Show beaver the cable.
Step 3: Wait.
Step 4: Make beaver into hat.
Step 5: Cable is done.

Since Trevor's putting them on there after braiding the cables, I'd be pretty confident that they can be opted out of.

Sep 15, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #1,078 of 2,398

Quote:
These are the ones Trevor had in stock a couple months ago (the ones on the right are the non-adjustable smaller ones).  He may have since got new ones.  You could ask for something different but I think the Y split is needed or else the 4 strands could potentially come undone.

The way a 4 wire braid works, it can't just come undone on its own or even naturally.  However, you could just grab the 2 strands of one of the earcup wires near the y split and pull, and it might mess with it a bit.  Pretty much the alternative is logo shrink or a Viablue y split cover.  I've had plenty of cables with nothing covering the y split and it isn't a huge deal though...

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #1,079 of 2,398
How about the beaver as the splitter with right and left channels coming thru the ears and the cable thru -- well you know the rest 
wink.gif

Quote:
Step 1: Buy a beaver.
Step 2: Show beaver the cable.
Step 3: Wait.
Step 4: Make beaver into hat.
Step 5: Cable is done.

Since Trevor's putting them on there after braiding the cables, I'd be pretty confident that they can be opted out of.

You are right, nothing short of divine intervention or a bored 4 year old will undo the cable past the split point.

Quote:
The way a 4 wire braid works, it can't just come undone on its own or even naturally.  However, you could just grab the 2 strands of one of the earcup wires near the y split and pull, and it might mess with it a bit.  Pretty much the alternative is logo shrink or a Viablue y split cover.  I've had plenty of cables with nothing covering the y split and it isn't a huge deal though...

Sep 15, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #1,080 of 2,398
You have a way with words.  Let's be friends.

Edit: and Tigz, I'm sorry for making fun of your wood splitters.  They're definitely the nicest I've seen out there.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back