LCD-2 and LCD-3 Owners - which aftermarket cable do you use?
Sep 11, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #1,051 of 2,398
Headphone = Audeze LCD-2
Termination = 1/4" TRS

When you select the Audeze, you get the mini-4-pin XLR shown in the picture.

That's it. :)

Sep 11, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #1,052 of 2,398

Quote:
Headphone = Audeze LCD-2
Termination = 1/4" TRS

When you select the Audeze, you get the mini-4-pin XLR shown in the picture.

That's it. :)

thanks!

Sep 11, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #1,055 of 2,398

Quote:
Don't be afraid to get a long length.  The cable is so flexible and light it lays easily.

yeah.... what length do you guys use with your Q?

2m? more? less?

Sep 11, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #1,056 of 2,398
1,5m. The amp is on the table adjacent to the chair.

Sep 11, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #1,060 of 2,398
2m plus a 4-pin XLR to 1/4 plug adapter.

Sep 11, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #1,062 of 2,398

Quote:
Quote:

I am sorry for not following... but what are you terminating into a RSA plug (presumably two)?
Surely not your 'phone cable?

I'm terminating Qaudio's LCD2 cable in RSA, and hopefully a female RSA plug exists so I can get an RSA to mini adapter for amps other than SR71B
smily_headphones1.gif

a female plug exists, but only the kind made to be soldered to boards, or into amps.. here is a photo of a cable i made for someone that wanted something like this.

it was not easy to make, and I wouldnt do it again, but it worked.    Honestly i wouldnt recommend it, besides the fact that making one is literally like cramming a sqare block into a round hole, you also have the right angle configuration of the rsa going up against the straight female end.. its awkward...

also, my take on "sound quality loss" when terminating to a mini xlr that allows you to switch out your termination (which is what i did) is that well.. ALO, q audio, moon audio, and others all offer this configuration.. so there are two scenarios here... it indeed does cause loss, in which case you could probably ask them and they would know it but i'd be surprised that they would make a cable knowing it degraded the sound... or.. it doesnt degrade the sound and they could confirm that for you as well.

i frankly didnt give it a second thought.  i made the cable i wanted and never looked back.  I'm very happy with how my rig sounds. the end.

Sep 12, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #1,063 of 2,398
It's ridiculously hard to truly prove to yourself beyond a shadow of a doubt that an adapter has compromised your sound.  Given the complexity of the circuit boards in your gear, it's pretty unlikely that an adapter can singlehandedly crap in your cornflakes.  Good luck being sure on that one - I tend not to worry about stuff like that.  The choice of wire in the headphone cable is going to be what you will actually be hearing, that I can reliably say that I am able to differentiate.  

If you try a variety of threaded barrels (barrels to RCAs, barrels to mini plugs) many of them will cut into the plastic of the female RSA socket and let you screw it in no problem.  You can also machine away some of the extraneous plastic on the plug to make it fit better.  

Sep 12, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #1,064 of 2,398

Quote:
It's ridiculously hard to truly prove to yourself beyond a shadow of a doubt that an adapter has compromised your sound.  Given the complexity of the circuit boards in your gear, it's pretty unlikely that an adapter can singlehandedly crap in your cornflakes.  Good luck being sure on that one - I tend not to worry about stuff like that.  The choice of wire in the headphone cable is going to be what you will actually be hearing, that I can reliably say that I am able to differentiate.  

If you try a variety of threaded barrels (barrels to RCAs, barrels to mini plugs) many of them will cut into the plastic of the female RSA socket and let you screw it in no problem.  You can also machine away some of the extraneous plastic on the plug to make it fit better.  

I'm never going to eat cornflakes again!  I never even imagined something like that could happen to my cornflakes.

Sep 12, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #1,065 of 2,398
Quote:
The choice of wire in the headphone cable is going to be what you will actually be hearing, that I can reliably say that I am able to differentiate.

I think wire geometry is much more important, and everyone will hear cables differently because everyone has a different system, different ears, and a different brain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back