LCD-2 and LCD-3 Owners - which aftermarket cable do you use?
Aug 20, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #827 of 2,398

Quote:
Haha that bag really does cost $1600, can't give out any free ones sorry...if you can afford those cables, you may as well get a proper bag for them.  I don't have 999 on hand, that just means I'm willing to build up to 999 of them.  I can't send out Spore cables, it's already costing me a fortune to build some for myself.

For 3K will you come to my home and hook up the cable?   

Aug 21, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #828 of 2,398
Doing the internal wiring of the LCD-2 is not fun, pretty easy to kill that connector.

For $3k I will fly to your house and model some Italian bags for you.

Aug 21, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #831 of 2,398

Quote:
Never heard of this, what are the differences?

I forgot where it was posted recently.  "Parrots" opened up his LCD and rewired it with some very nice silver wire.  Very deft work.  I had thought of doing something like this after my LCD warranty runs out.  I would have gone a step further and changed out the metal connectors screwed or bolted to the LCD after the internal wiring although I do not know what else i would use instead.  I am not skilled at doing that work so I would have someone else actually do it.   Maybe some can post here the photos of Parrots internal mod.

Aug 21, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #832 of 2,398
This just reminded me of something.  I replaced my LCD-2's wire with something that I was fairly sure was an upgrade.  I then stripped down the stock wiring and saw that it was pure, solid silver wire in teflon.  I felt very stupid at this point.  I also nearly had a heart attack doing the mod, it's not something I would ever, ever do for any reason, ever again.  The jack is deeply recessed into the wood and it is not easy to get in there and see what's going on.  You also have the fun of making sure that the 2 sets of contacts are connected to each other.  

TL;DR - The LCD-2s are already internally wired with pure silver, from what I can tell.  Don't "upgrade" their stock wire.  

Aug 21, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #833 of 2,398

Quote:
This just reminded me of something.  I replaced my LCD-2's wire with something that I was fairly sure was an upgrade.  I then stripped down the stock wiring and saw that it was pure, solid silver wire in teflon.  I felt very stupid at this point.  I also nearly had a heart attack doing the mod, it's not something I would ever, ever do for any reason, ever again.  The jack is deeply recessed into the wood and it is not easy to get in there and see what's going on.  You also have the fun of making sure that the 2 sets of contacts are connected to each other.  

TL;DR - The LCD-2s are already internally wired with pure silver, from what I can tell.  Don't "upgrade" their stock wire.  

Excellent info.  I did not know this. Audeze does not mention anything about the internal wiring that I know of.  There goes my about to bloom cottage industry.  
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #834 of 2,398

Quote:
Where is that guy whose name also means Foucault currents?    

Probably caught in a whirlpool.

"a circular movement of water, counter to a main current, causing a small whirlpool."

Aug 21, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #835 of 2,398
Audez'e should be proud of the wire they use, since I'm almost completely sure it's pure silver.  Since the length is tiny there's no reason why they wouldn't go all out for that.  A business replacing LCD2 internal wire would be about as fun as tearing off your fingernails with pliers.

Aug 21, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #836 of 2,398

Quote:
Probably caught in a whirlpool.

"a circular movement of water, counter to a main current, causing a small whirlpool."

Perhaps it is just the heat of the summer.  Too much summer heat.

Quoting from "Electricity and Basic electronics" by Stephen R. Matt 5th edition  P.165

Heat is created in the transformer when alternating currents (Eddy currents) are forced to flow in the core because of induced voltages. The larger the voltage created by the fields, the greater the heat generated in the transformer. the greater the heat, the greater the energy loss. In the trade, this loss is known as "Eddy-current loss".  

Too much heat I think.  Perhaps more varnish or oxide needs to be applied for better insulation...

Aug 21, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #837 of 2,398

Quote:
Audez'e should be proud of the wire they use, since I'm almost completely sure it's pure silver.  Since the length is tiny there's no reason why they wouldn't go all out for that.  A business replacing LCD2 internal wire would be about as fun as tearing off your fingernails with pliers.

But with the money I would have made I could have bought that 3K cable and some shoes to go with the bag.

Aug 21, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #838 of 2,398

Quote:

That's good to know. But evidently the Crystal Piccolino is not just silver; according to Jaben,

"Crystal uses a unique silver and gold combination which helps deliver better sound and signals.
The very pure silver Crystal uses has a crystal structure. That means by solidification of the metal, you get round-shaped crystal boundaries touching each other, buy having "bad places" where they don't touch.
These bad gaps are filled/injected with gold, which is the only metal that can be used for this.
It makes the way of the electric signal smooth and in time again."

So it may still be an upgrade. Also it is evidently quite difficult to solder properly.

You and Parrots are both madmen; kids, don't try this at home!

Aug 21, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #839 of 2,398

Quote:
Yes, true. You get a LV bag for this cable! Are you really getting a review sample? I may be getting either a spore cable or a Molecule cable. First i gotta try dem LCD-2's!

No, no, that was a joke
tongue_smile.gif

I don't think makers like Q-Audio, Norse and DHX need to give/loan review sample cables anymore, their names are well established in the headphone world and there are plenty of opinions about their products (except the spore, lol), but if any of them were to let a head-fier review them, I'd definitely not be the best choice for that task; there are members here and even active in this specific topic, who can do that way better then me.

You're deciding between spore and molecule?! That's the entry and the most expensive one. You mean molecule and macro-molecule or clone, not?

Anyway, indeed, I'd first get the LCD-2's and make sure you're certain about keeping it.

Aug 21, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #840 of 2,398
I'm tossing up whether to get the Double Helix Molecule OCC (12ft $235) or the Q-Audio (13ft $340) cables. Are the Q-Audio cables worth the extra money? Has anyone listened to both and can make comparisons?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back