LCD-2 and LCD-3 Owners - which aftermarket cable do you use?
post-8309321
Post #2,356 of 2,396

Devarika Woulf

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score

Quote:
Okay, I'm sick of this crap.  The direction this thread is going in is pissing me off, and I'm going to catch flak for saying this, but I'm going to say it anyway:

Go ahead and flame me.  Tell me I'm wrong.  I'm ready for you.

I heard very similar things like that with the marketing buzzwords and silver/copper not being different and cables all having a similar sound. So I went the Q and called it a day. I'd have to be rich to buy a cable that is $500 or over when I can't confirm it being any different from a $200 one going from reviews.

post-8309437
Post #2,357 of 2,396

kwkarth

Electronics guys... we have our plusses and minuses. With advent of digital everything, we're being phased out
Reaction score

Quote:
Well, the current has to return. But as I said, the signal proper is the TEM wave that propagates down the cable. It's initiated at the source and terminates at the load. Any of that coming back would be a reflection, which can be problematic in high frequency lines, but not a problem at audio frequencies as the electrical wavelengths are too long to have anything resembling a reflection in the line.

se

To a degree, that's all debatable, so how it sounds is what matters, and then how it measures, either substantiates how it sounds or not.  For many of the things that sound better to me, I cannot measure, so I must make a value judgment at that point.

Consumer audio interconnections truthfully, are rife with problems in impedance mismatch and therefore reflections and the like.  By design because the original designers decided such problems didn't matter at audio frequencies.

Reactions: Currawong
post-8309446
Post #2,358 of 2,396

kwkarth

Electronics guys... we have our plusses and minuses. With advent of digital everything, we're being phased out
Reaction score

Quote:
Wow, away for a few minutes and it seems personal attacks are taking place! Frank is just about the most stand up guy I have dealt with with audio related matters, up there with Ray Samuels. He has always been really clear on what he provides and is not pulling the wool over anyones eyes! He is doing what all the other cable makers here do which is to tell us what the cables are made of. I have now twice dealt with Frank and will do so again and again as his prices are great and cable very very well made and sounds great, especially in comparison to some much more expensive cables that I have seen both on headfi and other forums.
Frank has repeatedly stated that he got his description from his supplier, when we all see something be it on ebay or somewhere else we all use the same for the item provided by the manufacturer and that is what Frank has done here and even went as far as to name one of his suppliers and provide a link to that supplier where he got the description from so i do not think frank is mis leading anyone.
I have not seen any other cable manufactures do that!

I have not noticed any personal attacks here.  Would you point them out to me via PM and I will deal with them.  Thanks.

As far as I thought, we were discussing after market cables for the LCD-2/3.  Did I miss something?

Reactions: spookanide
post-8310144
Post #2,359 of 2,396

scootermafia

MOT: Double Helix Cables
Reaction score
The wire certainly isn't unidirectional if AC is going through it...but I can see how it could be one directional in other situations.  Not sure what Neotech is going for in that description but lots of people copypaste it into their product descriptions.

post-8310372
Post #2,360 of 2,396

IPodPJ

MOT: Bellatone Audio
Caution: Incomplete customer orders
Reaction score
The wire certainly isn't unidirectional if AC is going through it...but I can see how it could be one directional in other situations.  Not sure what Neotech is going for in that description but lots of people copypaste it into their product descriptions.

Are they saying a wire itself is unidirectional or a cable is? To say a single wire is unidirectional is untrue. A cable geometry can be, but only in cases where the drain wire or shield is connected to one side and not the other. Maybe other companies say they have unidirectional cables that connect to special boxes but I'm not going to comment on that.

post-8310502
Post #2,361 of 2,396

Toxic Cables

Member of the Trade: Toxic Cables
Reaction score
I have been in touch with 2 of my suppliers who use the same description as i wanted some answers and below is what one had to say although it is a little difficult to understand.

As soon as i have a chance i will edit all my descriptions until i have more news, it was a simple copy and paste job but still my fault for not looking into something further before using it in the descriptions of my cables and assuming it to be true because a lot of other well known names are also using it.

If anyone one feels they purchased one of my cables because of me saying it was unidirectional then please get in touch and i will compensate you for it once i have this cleared up.

[size=x-small] Dear Frank,[/size]

[size=x-small] When the copper/silver wire extruded from the die, will have a little bit direction and we follow this kind direction to cover the insulation. [/size]
[size=x-small] This mean the material has its own direction not the cable's (like interconnect cable) direction. We think this is the mis-leading the people saying.[/size]

[size=x-small] And the direction is from center of spool to outer after packed the wire. [/size]

Reactions: Argo Duck
post-8310834
Post #2,362 of 2,396

kwkarth

Reaction score

Quote:
I have been in touch with 2 of my suppliers who use the same description as i wanted some answers and below is what one had to say although it is a little difficult to understand.

As soon as i have a chance i will edit all my descriptions until i have more news, it was a simple copy and paste job but still my fault for not looking into something further before using it in the descriptions of my cables and assuming it to be true because a lot of other well known names are also using it.

If anyone one feels they purchased one of my cables because of me saying it was unidirectional then please get in touch and i will compensate you for it once i have this cleared up.

[size=x-small] Dear Frank,[/size]

[size=x-small] When the copper/silver wire extruded from the die, will have a little bit direction and we follow this kind direction to cover the insulation. [/size]
[size=x-small] This mean the material has its own direction not the cable's (like interconnect cable) direction. We think this is the mis-leading the people saying.[/size]

[size=x-small] And the direction is from center of spool to outer after packed the wire. [/size]
Thanks Kablemeister.  I really appreciate your going after a better understanding for the rest of us in this industry bugaboo.

If I understand what your supplier said, I would guess there is a mechanical unidirectionality to the wire from the extrusion process and this would affect how the insulation extrusion is put on the wire after extrusion.  All of this has nothing to do with the electrical properties of the cable.

post-8310843
Post #2,363 of 2,396

kwkarth

Reaction score

Quote:
Are they saying a wire itself is unidirectional or a cable is? To say a single wire is unidirectional is untrue. A cable geometry can be, but only in cases where the drain wire or shield is connected to one side and not the other. Maybe other companies say they have unidirectional cables that connect to special boxes but I'm not going to comment on that.
Yes, finished cable unidirectionality based upon source/sink star grounding concepts to minimize noise and ground loops makes sense for some finished cables when carrying small signals, but it seems that the industry wide misunderstanding goes deeper than that.

post-8311280
Post #2,364 of 2,396

paradoxper

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
I'm just going to throw this out there, but I doubt anyone wants to return your cable. I haven't heard one person comment negatively on the actual sound of your cable. Glad all this got cleared up 

post-8314447
Post #2,365 of 2,396

zeroakuma

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Heyo Steve. I just received the cable and it looks great; unfortunately, I can not review how well the cable goes with the headphone and amp, because my LCD-2 Rev 2 and the HD800 will arrive this Friday. I do not know when my Burson 160 DS will arrive, because the seller I bought it from is a recent high school graduate.

I have to wait a couple of days for the party to start :frowning2:

post-8314469
Post #2,366 of 2,396

sridhar3

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Quote:
Heyo Steve. I just received the cable and it looks great; unfortunately, I can not review how well the cable goes with the headphone and amp, because my LCD-2 Rev 2 and the HD800 will arrive this Friday. I do not know when my Burson 160 DS will arrive, because the seller I bought it from is a recent high school graduate.

All good things come to those who wait.

post-8314547
Post #2,367 of 2,396

MorbidToaster

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
But they come faster if you pay more. :D

Quote:
Quote:

All good things come to those who wait.

Reactions: sridhar3
post-8319103
Post #2,370 of 2,396

ianmedium

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score

Just thought some might be interested, I was talking to Frank today and he said that he will be releasing the first ever full silver LCD-2 LCD-3 cable this weekend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)