Lawrence, KS Meet Feb. 23rd, 2008
Feb 9, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #91 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by billinkansas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Brew is always good. I'll have some on hand as well.

Ah, but I make my own beer. EDIT: I'll have to bring some of the newest batch. I haven't "thoroughly" tested it. Early samples have proven mixed results. We shall see...

Feb 10, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #92 of 155
Um, I hate to mention this, but my friend from work (whom I just found out is going to be able to make the meet) is deathly allergic to cats. Bill, if you would make some arrangements, that would be great. If you need assistance with this, I would be willing to help...while my buddy waits for the area to be un-dandered. EDIT: I'll make sure to remind him to take some allergy meds.

I imagine that he'll be bringing some of his gear as well (PX-100, HD-280, CX-300).

Cheers,

Nylan

Feb 12, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #93 of 155
I think we should finalize the gear list for the meet.

Everyone post what they are going to bring, and I will add it to the first post.

Feb 14, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #95 of 155
Headphones
Goldring DR150
Futuresonics Atrio M5
Modded Koss KSC-75

Components
AlienDAC
Mini³

Not much, but I'm on a budget
tongue.gif
. About the M5, them being IEMs and all I don't know what the protocol on demoing them is. I'm fine with people trying them out as long as the tips are changed (for obvious hygenic reasons). That being said, I only have 2-3 pairs each of small and medium shure black foam tips that I don't really need anymore since I went to using the silicon bi-flanges. If more or larger sized tips are needed they'll need to be found elsewhere
frown.gif

Feb 14, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #96 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solecs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphones
Goldring DR150
Futuresonics Atrio M5
Modded Koss KSC-75

Components
AlienDAC
Mini³

Not much, but I'm on a budget
tongue.gif
. About the M5, them being IEMs and all I don't know what the protocol on demoing them is. I'm fine with people trying them out as long as the tips are changed (for obvious hygenic reasons). That being said, I only have 2-3 pairs each of small and medium shure black foam tips that I don't really need anymore since I went to using the silicon bi-flanges. If more or larger sized tips are needed they'll need to be found elsewhere
frown.gif

I think I can pick up some alcohol wipes. That's what I used to use when I demo'ed in-ear headphones when I worked as a salesman. Do you feel comfortable with that?

Nylan

Feb 15, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #98 of 155
My gear is listed in my sig - I'll have it all out for everyone to test drive.

I think you will enjoy listening to the Stax SR-303 driven by my little 40 year old Magnavox EL84 tube amp.

Feb 15, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #100 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by nylan8301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I can pick up some alcohol wipes. That's what I used to use when I demo'ed in-ear headphones when I worked as a salesman. Do you feel comfortable with that?

Nylan

urp, I hadn't considered that
tongue.gif
. That works for me anyway, I've got a bottle of rubbing alcohol around somewhere that I can grab also. Although wipes would probably be more convenient, I'll see if I can pick some up before next Saturday.

Feb 16, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #101 of 155
I have just added the JVC DX1000 to my stable! I hope they arrive before the meet. Bill, I know you used to own these, any tips?
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #102 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just added the JVC DX1000 to my stable! I hope they arrive before the meet. Bill, I know you used to own these, any tips?
biggrin.gif

Very nice choice. I really liked the DX1000 and I listened to them a lot, but they were a bit of an enigma for me.

On the plus side: I am one of the few saying this, but for me, they have perhaps the most convincing treble of any headphones that I have heard - I put them ahead of the K1000 and any of the Stax models. The high just sparkle with life without being harsh. The bass is very big and the overall sound is that if an ambient concert hall. They are comfortable and have an elegance about them.

The enigma: The midrange frequency response is a bit elevated, which some people enjoy. I listen mostly to classical music, which tends to have a lot more sustained tones than other genres. The sustained tones in the 600hz-1000hz tended to give them a colored sound at times. This can be minimized by some careful EQ'ing. I was lucky enough to score an Alesis DEQ230D digital EQ before they stopped making them (was a short run). This does its EQ processing in the digital realm before the DAC, which sounds much better than a downstream analog unit. I still have the Alesis unit and I'll have it at the meet. My "by ear" settings for the DX1000 are still programmed into it.

It took me a very long time to finally decide to sell the DX1000. If not for the midrange coloration, these could well be my #1 cans, dare I say probably even ahead of Stax!

I hope that your set arrives in time, as I'd like to hear them again.

(Ed. later in the day)
Joe, I offered my 2 cents, but don't anything I say keep you from enjoying your new headphones. I thought that they were truly wonderful and really enjoyed them. I'm sure that you will enjoy them too! See you next Saturday.

Feb 16, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #103 of 155
Sorry to change the subject, but I was talking to my wife about the meet today and she suddenly offered to make a dessert-esque item for everyone. Considering that she doesn't totally support this hobby of mine (too much yelling involved) it struck me as incredibly generous.

So the question she has for everyone: cookies or bars? And if so, what kind?

Nylan

Feb 17, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #104 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by nylan8301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to change the subject, but I was talking to my wife about the meet today and she suddenly offered to make a dessert-esque item for everyone. Considering that she doesn't totally support this hobby of mine (too much yelling involved) it struck me as incredibly generous.

So the question she has for everyone: cookies or bars? And if so, what kind?

Nylan

Cool! Something sinful and healthy at the same time? How about just sinful?

Feb 17, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #105 of 155
I vote for anything that has chocolate in it.

Bill: I will be sure to give them my full attention and try to wait a while before I draw any conclusions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back