Last call for $250 desktop amp and dac
May 29, 2012 at 9:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

bowei006

Panda Man
Reviewer at Headphone.Guru
Seeing if anyone has anything else to add?

Im currently set on getting an nfb 12.1. I will also be getting the O2

Any last things i forgot?

Ive taken looks at maverick d1, asgard, matrix d stage, odac, ef5 etc etc(some arent dacs) and for $250 total or $215 for device with recommendations from members I know not to be buyers of snake oil. Anything else to add anyone?

Sorry for the unprofessional spelling. I am on my phone making this last call for suggestions.

Please dont recommend any portable ones. Ive had the E17(superb device) but my priorities have changed.

May 29, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #2 of 29
What's the NFB 12.1?

I'd go for the Asahi AK4396 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Finished-2496-AK4396-CS8416-DAC-R-core-Transformer-case-115V-230V-/110747160549

He shipped with DHL for free and it never lets me down.  You'll need a USB->COAX device, this one supports USB 3.0, 24/192 all that jazz - http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-New-Musiland-Monitor-01-USD-USB-to-SPDIF-for-DAC-ASIO-32bit-384KHz-USB3-0-/290701960246

Replace the NE5532 with a higher-end op-amp like - OPA2111KP AD827JN

Listen directly from the RCA into your headphones / IEM and adjust the volume in Foobar, or buy an amp.

Just my advice. =p

kiteki

Edit:  The reason I bought it is because the AK4396 chip was called the "Miracle DAC" for several reasons when it was released for it's specs.

Here is the thread on the diy version - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/186245-dac-2496-ak4393-dac-kit-cs8416-ak4393-5532-a.html

May 29, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 29
The Metrum Duo doesn't have much information but you can find a lot on the Metrum Octave which is a very similar concept, it's pretty much the exact same DAC except 2 chips versus 8 afaik.

I recommend you spend at least 30 minutes reading about the Metrum Octave. =)

May 29, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 29
Why are you getting both the 12.1 and the O2?  If you get the NFB, you won't need the O2.

May 29, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:
Only problem is that I want a combo unit [size=medium]
ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)​
[/size]

Yep - the NFB-12.1 is a combo unit - good dac, good amp.  So why the O2 as well?  Or am I missing something?

May 29, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #10 of 29
I'm looking seriously at the nuforce icon hdp. It's a little more, but may be what the doctor ordered.
wink.gif

May 29, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #11 of 29
Matrix M stage (dac version) 

May 29, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:
Matrix M stage (dac version) 

I've looked into that. I dropped it off the list due to the fact that it's an amp...and the DAC version has a cheap add on DAC for it.. getting that and then a DAC would be too costly 

Quote:
Nothing special about combo units.  Read the review of the Metrum Duo/Octave versus the Audio-GD NFB 7.1 ($2000 USD) before you decide.

I did give some reads but actual posts on it are far too sparse for me to really know what to expect. I also rely heavily on Head-Fi. That is biased and may call me a Head-Fi phobe but I can't post on the other site threads(that are dead) or even have easy availbility to the stuff you recommended. And the stuff you recommended was not what I was looking for. I needed a full unit that has DAC AND driving opamp operations all in one unit for a good price that is around $230 after shipping.

Quote:
Yep - the NFB-12.1 is a combo unit - good dac, good amp.  So why the O2 as well?  Or am I missing something?

I am getting the O2 to "learn" and see what the fuss is about with the device. I am getting it for a fantastic price so I thought..why not. And then I will recoup my losses by selling it to another good home :)

JUST BOUGHT IT BROOKO :) [size=medium]
t(-_-t)​
[/size]

May 29, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #14 of 29
Nothing special about combo units.  Read the review of the Metrum Duo/Octave versus the Audio-GD NFB 7.1 ($2000 USD) before you decide.

I did give some reads but actual posts on it are far too sparse for me to really know what to expect. I also rely heavily on Head-Fi. That is biased and may call me a Head-Fi phobe but I can't post on the other site threads(that are dead) or even have easy availbility to the stuff you recommended. And the stuff you recommended was not what I was looking for. I needed a full unit that has DAC AND driving opamp operations all in one unit for a good price that is around $230 after shipping.

1.  I wanted a popular head-fier like you to try the Metrum Duo.

2. The Asahi AK4396 DIY DAC is a "DAC and driving op-amp operations all in one unit" for less than that price, since you can listen directly from the RCA like in this picture

Anyway suit yourself and I hope you enjoy the Audio-GD product. =)

May 29, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

1.  I wanted a popular head-fier like you to try the Metrum Duo.

2. The Asahi AK4396 DIY DAC is a "DAC and driving op-amp operations all in one unit" for less than that price, since you can listen directly from the RCA like in this picture

*snip*

Anyway suit yourself and I hope you enjoy the Audio-GD product. =)

Number 1:

Oh stop it you [size=medium]
(´・ω・`) . We are both ranking members but that doesn't let us just go around like idiots.​
[/size]

I noticed that it had driving power when you said that about the RCA, but I really need a seperate amp addition that has volume and is a traditional real amp.

Yes...if I did get it and liked it...you can be sure that people will surely hear about this device as I am a poster and thread poster for stuff...... but it didn't seem...you know..fit for me.

I'll be getting the NFB 12.1 and I'l attempt to popularize(get the word out) it if I feel that the price of $215 is good enough. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back