Lake People V181: a new balanced amp <$1000
Jul 10, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #76 of 127
Wasn't there a thread discussing that a true balanced system requires dual mono power source?

Isn't that why the Beta22 and Audio-GD Phoenix both use dual mono power source and all of Audio-GD balanced power amps have dedicated power per channel?

Jul 21, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #78 of 127
So I pulled the trigger on the V181, Ive been listening all day and it sounds absolutely excellent.  It sounds significantly better than the Yamamoto HA-01 with a variety of headphones if that helps anybody...

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #81 of 127

Quote:
So I pulled the trigger on the V181, Ive been listening all day and it sounds absolutely excellent.  It sounds significantly better than the Yamamoto HA-01 with a variety of headphones if that helps anybody...

Glad to hear you are liking it. I picked up a V200 a few weeks ago and have really been enjoying it. I'm looking forward to hearing their other products.

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #82 of 127

Quote:
Explain?

Balanced circuits relate to the amplification topology (both the + and - of each channel driven) not the power input.  Regardless, the power still comes in from one plug (and even if two, one socket).  There may be some benefit, I imagine, from having each channel have a separate, dedicated power supply, but I couldn't tell you how much.

HD-800s will be a good test of this amp I reckon.  IMO if, with a high-end balanced DAC you get a good, wide soundstage with each of the instruments in their places and lots of detail from the amp without any fatigue from the treble with them, then the design has fairly nailed it. Excepting, of course, if they've cheated by rolling off the treble, but many popular amps tend to be slightly coloured towards listening enjoyment than accuracy.

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #83 of 127
I am quite interested to compare the v181 balanced out to the Roc Balanced with my LCD-2s, which I will do next week.  By most reports on the v181 so far (not many of them) the sound is airy and open, with a big soundstage.  May the best amp win.  

Aug 13, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #84 of 127
popcorn.gif

Aug 13, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #85 of 127

Quote:
I am quite interested to compare the v181 balanced out to the Roc Balanced with my LCD-2s, which I will do next week.  By most reports on the v181 so far (not many of them) the sound is airy and open, with a big soundstage.  May the best amp win.  

Just bought the Roc so I am interested in your findings
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #86 of 127
A look at the 3 offerings they have side by side (pics from their site):

V100

V181

V200

V200 and v181 share the same size power vs. the smaller sized v100.  Also they share the same number of caps.  V200 def. has some extra stuff going on near the back.  But from the pic there are defnitely similarities inside between all three.  (note however the v200 above has usb, while the other two don't have it installed)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back