Lake People G109 / G103 thread
Nov 13, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #406 of 729
  Maybe a newbie question, but are there any RCA/cinch cables included when you order the Lake People G109P? Or should you buy these separate? Any good suggestions (not too expensive :))

PS: I'm going to use the Concero HD dac.

If you haven't got them already, I say go for the super cheap monoprice rcas.  Great quality and ofc and all that and they're cheap.  CHEAP.

Didn't know that they made a limited edition g109, I'm not a big fan of the colors. 

Nov 24, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #410 of 729

If you're going single ended rca then look at the G109-S as the "P" adds xlr input.

I gotta say, having previously owned a G109P, I think that in today's market Lake People may be asking a little too much for their 109s/p. Five years ago? Sure...but it just seems to me that today, >$600 is a lot to ask for the SQ the 109 provides. Doesn't help keep costs down when it's made in Germany either :) Class leading quality, just not class leading SQ with the 109 in my opinion.

Options would be the Liquid Carbon (wouldn't get it until 2016 though) or, on the cheap, the Gustard H10 with upgraded opamps may just be the best value out there in <$500 amps. Both can do sensitive iem's, right up to TOTL cans.

My H10 ended up replacing my G109P altogether, at half the cost too.

Seriously what can possibly improve on headphone amps in terms of SQ in 5 years? This isn't rocket science. When it comes to amps in general there really should be no "better" or "worse" SQ if you know what I mean? At least not at these prices. I am not a believer in amp sound quality but this is perhaps a topic for the sound science forum.

Anyway I chose 109-A instead of H10 because; H10 is simply too big for my desk, I don't need balanced and now that the price of H10 has gone up due to massive hype, its only like $20 cheaper than 109-A. H10 is $370 on Amazon, similar on various ebay stores and I'd rather not buy something this expensive from Aliexpress.

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #411 of 729
Massdrop has a special version of the  G109 available - the G109A (for Anniversary Edition). Price is $429 plus $10.50 shipping to the USA. It's got a few internal tweaks, and a new front panel appearance, but doesn't deviate too far from the G109S in general. Seems like a good buy for the price.

Dec 26, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #414 of 729
Any pros or cons about the Violectric V90 ? Need to read all 400+ posts. Was ready to buy a G109A after looking at G109S and G103S, Audio GD C-2 (NFB-1), Cavalli Liquid Carbon (sold out), and Meier's Classic_Jazz_Rock models . Then looked at V100 (too much as new for me)  and finally am thinking of buying V90. Like the gain switches on the back without having to open the case, and also the pre-outs on the V90.

Would use on HD650, K701, CD3000, HE400i, T20RPv2, ID-1, YH-100, DT770, M-1, Jubilate-64, ESW9A, TH-X00, some others, and maybe a future buy of HD800, so want to get an all-around amp (tall order) for dynamics & planars. Like amp that is neutral but pleasant, hi power, hi-current, hi damp, for hi or lo impedances and noise-free with great performance. $500 new is my limit. There is an active massdrop running now for V90 at best price $400 (12 join), or $424 (8 join), $450 (4 join). On mfr site winter sale 15% off gets the V90 for $450 also.

For sound I like neutral presentation with low, deep, impactful & extended, tight bass, brilliant sparkling highs and a detailed, linear midrange. Good dynamics, and like to hear the inherent nature of the headphones, not anything added by the amp - liking an uncolored amp. Only need rca connectors. Maybe the pre-out function is less important - what are some of the best uses for pre-outs ?

Don't understand the specifics, but internally the V90, V100, G109A/S and G103S differ somewhat, dunno if that makes significant difference ? So far like the versatility of functions on the V90.

Could buy a used amp for <$500, which ups me to a used V100 (but doubtful to reach V181), if it could be found used.

Questions are -
What sound difference could be expected for my purpose, between the four = G109A/S, G103S, V100 and V90 ?
Has anyone tried a V90 with HD800 ? Have read the HD800 matches pretty good with the other 3 model amps (but V200 is over my price limit).
What are some uses for pre-outs ?
Any significant differences internally for the 4 models ?

Also open to suggestion of other brands' solid-state models too. So far am liking the V90 ease to change gains.
Stuck, what do you guys recommend, please ?

Dec 26, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #415 of 729
Joining in the fun! Good thing the person who reserved two units released one unit. Got 007/300! :D

@luvmusik

I was able to try the Violectric V90 side-by-side with the G109A (my choice essentially boiled down to those two amps). In my very short comparo, I felt the V90 has a tad darker sound signature relative to the G109A. If the V90 sounded as if there's a thin veil separating me from the performer, the G109A sounded clear. The G109A will give you what the song would want you to hear. If it has lots of deep, impactful bass, the G109A will give you that; if the song has a touch of warmth, it will also give you that. It's neutral yet very musical. 

I hope I am making sense here. :)

Dec 26, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #417 of 729
Thanks, guys, this helps. Seems my choice is to either go total clarity with G109A, or have versatility of easy gain selection & preouts on V90, with a tad bit darker veiled sound. Tough decision to make. If I could find the V100 used, it may combine the best attributes of the two models - clarity & versatility, but then may not have a warranty. If the darkness & veiling of the V90 is just a tad bit off from the clearer G109A, then maybe the V90 will work for me.

I wish the G109A had easy to access gains adjustments - that would solve the problem, but I can't remove cover in between switching headphones back & forth a lot, and don't want to leave the cover off either (if functional that way). Is the V90 darkness/veiling predominate or pretty close to clarity of G109A ? A-B test is awesome for that info, Thanks ! Maybe without an A-B, it might be hard to percieve difference ? I dunno, just trying to sort it out. Tuff choice to make.

Dec 26, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #418 of 729
  Thanks, guys, this helps. Seems my choice is to either go total clarity with G109A, or have versatility of easy gain selection & preouts on V90, with a tad bit darker veiled sound. Tough decision to make. If I could find the V100 used, it may combine the best attributes of the two models - clarity & versatility, but then may not have a warranty. If the darkness & veiling of the V90 is just a tad bit off from the clearer G109A, then maybe the V90 will work for me.

I wish the G109A had easy to access gains adjustments - that would solve the problem, but I can't remove cover in between switching headphones back & forth a lot, and don't want to leave the cover off either (if functional that way). Is the V90 darkness/veiling predominate or pretty close to clarity of G109A ? A-B test is awesome for that info, Thanks ! Maybe without an A-B, it might be hard to percieve difference ? I dunno, just trying to sort it out. Tuff choice to make.

G109A is the better amp, I was in the same boat as you are and I chose 109S[asked lake people], The middle gain setting should cover all your needs unless you are using very sensitive IEMs or very power hungry planars...

Dec 26, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #419 of 729
Thanks, Sam, do you think the middle gain setting will pair well with these planars - HiFiMan HE400i, Yamaha YH-100, Fostex T20RPv2, and the oddly power-hungry vintage Wharfedale first original "Isodynamic Headphone" - later badged ID-1 model ? The Wharfs are my most power hungry, probably down 25% audible volume at equal volume setting from all other cans. The specs are 120 ohm impedance, 30mW input sensitivity for 95 db SPL, power handling maximum input not to exceed 25 v rms. Some odd specs,and all I got on Wharf specs, but they need power. Have a feeling the Lake People or Violectric should pump them up well. The G109A was my first choice and maybe I don't need pre-outs from the V90. What are some of the best uses for pre-outs ?

Dec 26, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #420 of 729
G109A is the better amp, I was in the same boat as you are and I chose 109S[asked lake people], The middle gain setting should cover all your needs unless you are using very sensitive IEMs or very power hungry planars...

I have the G109s that I use with HD650 and HE500 and I too fiddled around with the 3 gain settings but eventually settled on the middle setting and it's been there for over a year now. I have no intentions of re-checking the other 2 gain selections because these phones sound spectacular right there and I have plenty of volume knob control (I'm generally around the 50% mark) which is plenty loud for the 650's while the HE500's need 2-3 more clicks on the knob to reach the same loudness. This amp is very neutral and dead silent honestly conveying your source equipment. Of course a good DAC doesn't hurt either. Be warned, it will honestly tell you how good or how ****ty your system is so don't shoot the messenger! I have no complaints whatsoever, this is a seriously good amp that seems to be a bit of a secret in North America...by the way watch out for the knock-off version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back