Lake People G109 / G103 thread
Dec 26, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #421 of 729
My X7 can drive my HE-400 and T50RPmk3s properly which is way weaker than the G109.

the G109x should have no problem driving those two headphones when it's on the middle gain, heck, I even think it can drive them at the low gain setting. 

Dec 26, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #422 of 729
Thanks guys, Looks like I'm swinging back to the G109A based on better sound and middle gains setting should be fine. I would buy direct from LP site, it is on sale for $450.

Can you tell me more about knock-off ? Does it have a distinguishing look different from LP, or is front or back marked differently ? Are those floating around used or from some weird site ?

Sometimes massdrop has B-stocks, but they mark them as such & I would avoid those just for comfort. Dunno if those are cosmetic B-stock or something more serious.

Also, what uses are headamp pre-outs for, other than running powered desk-top loudspeakers ?

Dec 26, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #423 of 729
you can use the pre-amp to redirect the signal to another device, Like another headphone amp or speakers ..etc..

The A version uses higher quality capacitors, the S/P versions use ordinary ones.

Dec 26, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #424 of 729
Cool. I think won't be needing the pre-outs, and it helps swing me back to getting G109A to get the better sound. Don't have Sennheiser HD800, it is a future savings project possibly. Read that G109A/S/P and HD800 play well together. May be a nice dollar-value combination as a used HD800 together with a new G109A.

Dec 26, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #425 of 729
Thanks guys, Looks like I'm swinging back to the G109A based on better sound and middle gains setting should be fine. I would buy direct from LP site, it is on sale for $450.

Can you tell me more about knock-off ? Does it have a distinguishing look different from LP, or is front or back marked differently ? Are those floating around used or from some weird site ?

Sometimes massdrop has B-stocks, but they mark them as such & I would avoid those just for comfort. Dunno if those are cosmetic B-stock or something more serious.

Also, what uses are headamp pre-outs for, other than running powered desk-top loudspeakers ?

Sorry, I was being sarcastic...Gustard shamelessly copied the Lake People product at a cheaper price.

Dec 26, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #426 of 729
Oh, OK, I read about that and also that the Gustard  (? H10 recalling ?) doesn't sound as good. Something about the bass rolls-off weak & hi's roll-off too if recalling correctly.

Dec 27, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #427 of 729
Read thru the entire thread, and all links too; just finished now, Whew ! Great thread, learned a lot. Important note was about the voltage versions. The thread shows a few fellas are running HD800 with G109 and say they play well together. Good reason to buy a new G109A now and start saving up my measely rubles for a used HD800 one day in the future.

Liking the G109A sturdy construction over the Audio GD C-2 (NFB-1), feel very confident for the Lake People's unit over many years longevity.
The Meier's Classic-Jazz-Rock models were contenders, but just didn't float my boat for some reason, in making a choice.
The Cavalli Liquid Carbon was the closest for me, but over my allowable budget, sold out, and not sure when reappearing, at what price.

The Lake People G109A model is the right fit for me; and the G103S, V90 or even a used V100 were really close calls for me in deciding.

We posted about a clone, and actually there is a clone of the V200 selling now (I am not affiliated). Ebay item #271575409411. Unit is an "Accurate Audio Studio HPA-A200". Just mentioning it as some may want to cast a wary eyeball on this unit.

I am sticking to the fine folks at Lake People, the fine German engineering, and if ever needed, the great advice & support they back their gear & customers with.

Thank you to the head-fier's who helped me to arrive at my choice. The info about the sound characteristic foremost and gains functionality & pre-outs usage was valuable in my choice on the G109A. Thanks guys for helping. 

Dec 27, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #428 of 729
@luvmusik

You'll enjoy your time with the G109A. I am using it to power a dynamic driver HP (a Senn HD600) and a planar HP (a HifiMan HE-400i) and the G109A is performing an admirable job making each headphone's strengths shine, as well as sticking close to the source. If anything, I would describe the G109A as "having clarity with authority". I am coming from a Cypher Labs Duet amp and even if the difference between the two amps isn't really night-and-day, I appreciate the extra separation in the frequencies, the added clarity, and an extra bit of resolution from the G109A.

Dec 27, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #429 of 729
Thanks, Just placed order & have receipt. Bought G109A direct from Violectric-USA and total including shipping was $440. Good deal, and wanted to get order in fast before 2016 turns the calendar. The site shows in stock, was $570, sale priced to $500 and they had a "Winter-15" code for another 15% off for now, so I jumped. It ships close too. Even like the front plate colors and graphics, in a way somewhat reminiscent of vintage Marantz gear, with the scripted writing at top of front plate, although unique here.

Cool info about your rig and it's sound description, we're running almost the same headphones and it is comforting to see that. Eager to hear this, a New Year's acquisition !

Dec 27, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #431 of 729
BTW, to those who are curious how the G109A internals look like, I took a picture of mine. The only difference I see, through the naked eye, is the use of gold capacitors (I believe these are Nichicon, based on Lake People's disclosure):

Dec 28, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #432 of 729
To those who are familiar with the G109 circuitry:

I noticed that the amp does not have any "heat sinks". Is this normal? I've checked pics of internals of higher-end Violectric amps (V100, V181, V200, etc.) and noticed that these have heat sinks for these amps' transistors. 

Although I have yet to make my G109 warm enough to make me concerned about frying its electronics, I am curious why its design doesn't feature any heat sink.

Thanks to whoever answers my query! :)

Dec 28, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #433 of 729
Even the name "Lake People" is cool...kinda mysterious in a spooky-good way.

They are pretty acted at the shores of Lake Konstanz, therefore their name :wink:

To those who are familiar with the G109 circuitry:

I noticed that the amp does not have any "heat sinks". Is this normal? I've checked pics of internals of higher-end Violectric amps (V100, V181, V200, etc.) and noticed that these have heat sinks for these amps' transistors. 

Although I have yet to make my G109 warm enough to make me concerned about frying its electronics, I am curious why its design doesn't feature any heat sink.

Thanks to whoever answers my query! :)

The use of heat sinks depends on the thermal requirements of the electronic components, their electric working point and the components own ability to dissipate heat. The presence or absence of heat sinks should not interpreted as a sign of quality (or absence thereof), and while it may be a cost factor the necessity of heat sinks depends primarily on the electrical layout and the design of the enclosure.

Your observation that your G109 does not get really warm is an indication that there's not much heat to dissipate and obviously Lake People saw no need for heat sinks. No need to worry about that I think.

Dec 28, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #434 of 729
I have G103 paired with T90. Anyone can say that G109 is sonically much better than G103 - of course except power etc.? Just curious?

Dec 28, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #435 of 729
The use of heat sinks depends on the thermal requirements of the electronic components, their electric working point and the components own ability to dissipate heat. The presence or absence of heat sinks should not interpreted as a sign of quality (or absence thereof), and while it may be a cost factor the necessity of heat sinks depends primarily on the electrical layout and the design of the enclosure.

Your observation that your G109 does not get really warm is an indication that there's not much heat to dissipate and obviously Lake People saw no need for heat sinks. No need to worry about that I think.

Thank you very much for the speedy feedback!

This is my first time to own a desktop amp. And I don't know anything about electronics. As far as I am concerned, as long as the amp outputs great music according to my preferences, I'm all good. On the other hand, I am also aware that I have to learn even some basic electronics stuff if I were to fully appreciate how my G109 works.

Thanks again! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back