Lake People G109 / G103 thread
Sep 25, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #391 of 729
Check out Headfonia.com and InnerFidelity.com, both did G109 & G103 comparisons a while back. Also lots of chatter about both of these amps near the beginning of this thread.

Yeah, I am pretty aware of those reviews. For me G103 is neutral enough to almost hear every flow in the modest recordings unfortunately :wink:

Nov 8, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #392 of 729
Maybe a newbie question, but are there any RCA/cinch cables included when you order the Lake People G109P? Or should you buy these separate? Any good suggestions (not too expensive :))

PS: I'm going to use the Concero HD dac.

Nov 8, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #393 of 729
  Maybe a newbie question, but are there any RCA/cinch cables included when you order the Lake People G109P? Or should you buy these separate? Any good suggestions (not too expensive :))

No, there are no RCA cables included. You can get nice looking cables at reasonable prices e.g. from Amazon. I'd not spend more than 30,-

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #394 of 729

If you're going single ended rca then look at the G109-S as the "P" adds xlr input.

I gotta say, having previously owned a G109P, I think that in today's market Lake People may be asking a little too much for their 109s/p. Five years ago? Sure...but it just seems to me that today, >$600 is a lot to ask for the SQ the 109 provides. Doesn't help keep costs down when it's made in Germany either :) Class leading quality, just not class leading SQ with the 109 in my opinion.

Options would be the Liquid Carbon (wouldn't get it until 2016 though) or, on the cheap, the Gustard H10 with upgraded opamps may just be the best value out there in <$500 amps. Both can do sensitive iem's, right up to TOTL cans.

My H10 ended up replacing my G109P altogether, at half the cost too.

Nov 8, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #395 of 729
If you're going single ended rca then look at the G109-S as the "P" adds xlr input.

I gotta say, having previously owned a G109P, I think that in today's market Lake People may be asking a little too much for their 109s/p. Five years ago? Sure...but it just seems to me that today, >$600 is a lot to ask for the SQ the 109 provides. Doesn't help keep costs down when it's made in Germany either :) Class leading quality, just not class leading SQ with the 109 in my opinion.

Options would be the Liquid Carbon (wouldn't get it until 2016 though) or, on the cheap, the Gustard H10 with upgraded opamps may just be the best value out there in <$500 amps. Both can do sensitive iem's, right up to TOTL cans.

My H10 ended up replacing my G109P altogether, at half the cost too.

Agreed that the LP G109S is a bit pricey however I was looking for an amp that is brutally transparent (and fairly neutral) because I'm interested in hearing as much of the source as possible. It's an amp that has plenty of power to drive my HD650's and HE500's to their fullest potential with ease. It's constructed with top notch materials and it's built like a tank. So yes I fully agree that it's expensive but it's a seriously good performer that will remain as my premier solid state amp.

Next amp on my list is one that will introduce some characteristics to the sound chain, yup a tube amp. Thinking a Project Ember perhaps. I think it will nicely compliment the G109S.

Nov 9, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #396 of 729
  Does anyone know (have heard) the new anniversary edition G109-A?

I ask because i am considering an upgrade...
I got to compare my G103 to a V200 last week and was amazed at the difference it made to the sound of my Alpha Dogs (much improved).

Would a G103 -> G109 upgrade be a significant improvement?

(I cant really afford a G103 -> V200 upgrade...)

Cheers,
G

I just purchased a G109-A earlier today. Serial number 012/300. I couldn't resist the draw of a limited edition...
But even though I was initially curious because of the limited edition factor, it was really the sound that had me going for it.

The G109-A is fantastic, and has powered all that I've thrown at it so far (multiple IEMs, HD650s, HD800s, HE-560s, etc.) to reasonable listening volumes with room to spare.
While I normally listen to music at lower levels (around ~75dB), it should have no problem going much louder, as it's driving my HD800s very competently right now at only around the 9~10 o'clock position with stock (medium) gain.

I was with a few friends trying it out at the local headphone shop as they'd brought in 10 of the 300 units made.
Overall it's a very clean, neutral amp with a wonderful, extended treble response, and just enough bass punch/meatiness.

The store didn't have the G103 so I can't compare, but they did have other standard Violectric units.

I've found it has a cleaner, more extended treble response than even the V90, V181, and V281, which are great in their own right, but the treble on this G109-A is slightly better.
I thought I was just imagining things, but all of us trying it out felt the same way -- we made sure to compare with the above-mentioned three units.

There is a very, very slight bump in the sub/mid-bass, which gives the HD800s just enough 'oomph' for me.
Combined with the Anaxilus mod, they sound very tonally balanced (though it still sheds a very harsh spotlight on even the slightest hint of sibilance in recordings).

Although I'm not a big fan of stepped attenuators, the Alps RK27 has me spoiled because there are zero channel imbalance issues, even at the 7:30 position (just 2 clicks out of 40), and I'm very glad LP have decided to use it here as well.
There is also no issue of having most of the gain on the first half or so of the amp, with the rest of the volume knob being just there for show.

On a side note, having two headphone outputs is incredibly useful not for just sharing the music, but also for comparing different headphones.
Both outputs sound exactly the same, regardless of whether you're using the left, right, or both at once.

As everyone says, build quality is excellent as well, though it would have been nice if they'd bump the cost up a little more so we get a fancier beveled faceplate and a powdercoated casing.
But that's all right.

For those curious about the differences between the G109-A and the G109-S/P, I emailed Fried about it to learn more, and this is what he replied with:

The internal differences:
Although G109-A is basically a G109-S with only unbalanced inputs, it has the protective relay from the G109-P series.
Second, we are using special "audio-grade" smoothing capacitors from Nichicon inside G109-A.
By doing so, the sound from G109-A has become a bit more powerful on one hand but also softer, richer with a wider soundstage compared to the "standard" capacitors we are using.

The external differences:
Additionally you will get a special front plate with golden silk screening and letters which are not printed on the surface but are in the surface due to a special anodizing process.

And there are the golden metalized feet instead of some standard rubber feet.

For amps within <$500, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find better value and performance for your money.
For amps within <$1000, it still remains a strong contender compared to other amps twice its price.
I suppose you'll just want to avoid it if you need balanced inputs, pre-out, or any other functionality apart from amplifying a single-ended signal for headphone output.

Nov 10, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #397 of 729
For amps within <$500, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find better value and performance for your money.

The G109 series amps, either the S,P or 30th version are all >$600...so I'd hope many amps <$500 don't offer better performance:)

There's a couple that do though! At half the price of a G109P there's the Gustard H10. If you want to go fully balanced there's also the $420 Matrix HPA-3B. Closer to the G109's price but still cheaper, the Liquid Carbon.

There's a quote here from Fried stating that the G109P is basically a V100 with slight changes.
@The Fed:

Fried (Lake People CEO) told me the G109 is very similar to the Violectric V100. Its probably fairly similar to the V90 as well but I think its more on par with the more expensive V100, albeit with a couple minor differences to bring the cost down.

Here's what he told me:

…. and, yes, the amps inside G109 are very close to the circuitry of Violectric V100.
Beneath the fact that G109 is made with SMD components while V100 offers standard components of coarse there are some other minor differences. But as a result they are quite close together. 

And with the V181 just being a V100 with balanced output I'm not surprised the G109 sounded similar except for a cleaner and more extended treble. I think what hurts the G103/109's performance is their reluctance to use DIP-8 sockets. Without having the abillty to swap out it's NE5532's (unless you solder), severally bottlenecks it's performance in my opinion.

To compare it only against other overpriced amps in it's own product line (that are basically the same amp), and then say it's a contender in the <$1K market is a little shortsighted don't you think? I'm thinking if you liked the G109 over a V281 then there was surely something (or a combination of things) holding the testing back. It seems like the amps weren't being heard to anywhere near their full potential.

Nov 10, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #398 of 729
About our amps.

It seems to me that it is again time to talk a bit about our "philosophy" and the different topologies inside our headphone amps.
Also to make clear that V181 is not a double V100 !!

All our amps offer 4 basic features which - in combination - can only be found here:

LOW-NOISE 
because of low internal gain.
Therefore the self generated noise from the amplifer is not audible.

HIGH OUTPUT VOLTAGE
through 60 Volt internal operating voltage.
Therefore best suited for high impedance headphones.
Over 90 % of all headphone amplifiers in the market offer not half that voltage !! 

HIGH OUTPUT POWER
because of powerful amplifiers able to deliver much more current a headphone needs.
Therefore best suited for low impedance headphones and even magnetostatic cans !!

HIGH DAMPING FACTOR
through lowest output impedance.
Therefore best suited for full control even over critical headphones with the garantee to have flatest possible response.

The easiest amp-approach is the one from G103.
Here the amp is made with a small power amp from National.
Next are 4-transistor amps per channel which can be found inside G105, G107, G109 and V100.
F388, F399, V90 and V181 are made with power op-amps like OPA551 or similar.
Finally, there is the 8-transistor amp (per channel) which can be found inside V200, V220 and V281.

... and, yes, also inside the Gustard and the Accurate and maybe some more ...

All those amps do have their reason because they offer specific features and meet a specific price point.
Unfortunately the more expensive designs sound better :wink:)

All our amp designs where developed and optimised over the past 30 years.

It may seem to some people that we are dealing with overpriced amps ... maybe ... but we made all our developements on our own - and on our own costs.
And we are manufacturing all our gear in Germany and we pay very very resonable wages so non of our employees is forced to look for a second or third job.
We have never looked at the market to see what design is worth to be cloned and then cheaply to be manufactured in some remote asian places.
And I hope that those who are always hunting for a bargain are not in a business which may be affected by some cheap clones some day.
Running a business in North America or Western Europe means that you are always forced to be on top and faster than others.
That is costly and fortunately the majority of our customers reward our efforts and purchase our overpriced amps and not the clones.
I am not living bad as the CEO of Lake People / Violectric, but the counter of my Porsche collection still shows zero.

Thank you for your time,

Fried Reim

Nov 10, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #399 of 729
@fdg Fried, thanks for taking the time to outline the differences between those amps -- I for one did not know how they were to categorize with respect to topologies (i.e. which amps share a broader design).

I do get some kind of weird enjoyment out of the fact of owning one of the most powerful headphone amps, knowing that it'll never clip and that I'll never buy a headphone I don't have an amp for (I'm not interested in electrostatic headphones, so I can rule this case out as well :wink:

And yes, I appreciate the fact that its not a cloned design out of a sweat shop.

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #400 of 729
Thanks Fried - a great explanation.
Another happy owner here, having moved up through the G103 and G109 to rest on the V200 (+V800).
FWIW, my enjoyment of ownership is all the higher for the authenticity of both the design and manufacture.  I am sure the Gustard sounds great, but I wouldn't enjoy owning one.

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #401 of 729
Hey, at least one things for sure....great customer service! When the CEO chimes in to clear the smoke I just stunk the joint up with, you know you're in good hands.

While it may not be that Lake People & Violectric products are overpriced, so much as it's most of their competition are greatly under-priced...saving on labor, materials, R&D, etc..we all already know this.

Having owned a G109P I can say if you value absolute neutrality and build quality above all else the G109 is a terrific pick. I found that what the 109 lacked in soundstage width and depth and imaging it made up for it in detail, timbre accuracy, transparency and sheer neutrality.

However if an amazing 2.7W @ 600 Ohms is more your style the V281 will fit your needs nicely! Sensitive iem's too!! Outstanding versatility!!!

Nov 10, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #402 of 729
the G109S is reasonably priced when you look at the power ratings of the amp. every amp that I have tried so far hisses badly with all the headphones that I have at all gains/volume. This amp really surprised me, it never hisses at all gains with any headphone.

I am selling my G109S to get the G109A ... I guess it is worth the upgrade.

Nov 10, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #404 of 729
I'm joining the chorus here, but as an owner of G109's cousin the V100, I will say that the amp offers a very satisfying sense of ownership. The aluminum front plate and volume knob feel nice to the touch, as does the specially coated top cover. And these are backed by a clean, neutral sound with gobs of power, so there is not much for me to complain :)

Someone above mentioned using G109 with Concero HD, so I'll add that my V100 and Concero (first-gen) work in great synergy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back