Lake People G109 / G103 thread
Dec 10, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #692 of 729
Are Lake People popular or not? I haven't seen a lot about them but they seem to be loved by a lot.
I'd like to get the G103S, is that a fine one too?

But I'm concerned because of sensitive headphones. Is it a problem?

Dec 12, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #693 of 729
Are Lake People popular or not? They seem to be loved by a lot.
I think you answered your own question there? :)
I'd like to get the G103S, is that a fine one too?
I haven't heard that one, only G111. It seems quite old by now. I guess it depends A) where you live, B) how much it costs, if you can find one for sale, C) what your budget is, and what phones you want to use with the amp.

For sub-$500 amps, I highly recommend JDS ATOM+/ATOM($99), Schiit Asgard 3($249), and Topping A30 Pro($380). Or a Schiit OTL/hybrid amp if you want tubes, or need balanced(Vali 3, Lyr, 3 Valhalla 2, Magnius). I like the A30 Pro way more than the G111, with its phenomenal power, and acceptance of balanced or SE inputs. I think ATOM+ is unbeatable at $100; perfectly clean amplification, just like its supposed to do.

Dec 12, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #694 of 729
I think you answered your own question there? :)

I haven't heard that one, only G111. It seems quite old by now. I guess it depends A) where you live, B) how much it costs, if you can find one for sale, C) what your budget is, and what phones you want to use with the amp.

For sub-$500 amps, I highly recommend JDS ATOM+/ATOM($99), Schiit Asgard 3($249), and Topping A30 Pro($380). Or a Schiit OTL/hybrid amp if you want tubes, or need balanced(Vali 3, Lyr, 3 Valhalla 2, Magnius). I like the A30 Pro way more than the G111, with its phenomenal power, and acceptance of balanced or SE inputs. I think ATOM+ is unbeatable at $100; perfectly clean amplification, just like its supposed to do.
Yeah, I was curious about but there are no negative reviews about the G103. I live in the Netherlands and Thomann sells the G103-S for €249.
I have the K5 Pro and I should be able to connect using RCA. I forgot the K5 Pro has optical so I can use it on my OLED tv next year on my desk.
I would like a lean and fuller sound. Schiit products seems to be out of stock? My K5 Pro only has unbalanced so RCA should be only unbalanced too?

It has to be for desktop use.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #695 of 729
RCA should be only unbalanced too?
That's correct, I believe. XLR from DAC to amp, for balanced.
Schiit products seems to be out of stock?
I don't see any out of stocks. There's just a long wait time, lately. I had to wait 8 weeks for my Bifrost 2.
I would like a lean and fuller sound.
Lean? Or clean? You want more detailed/analytical, not so much warm/smooth/bassy? So you probably don't want a tube or hybrid, then. Definitely a solid state. I would say the ATOM/ATOM+ sounds completely neutral. Asgard 3 is on the warm side, but not tube warm. A30 Pro sounds very full(maximum bass drive, from all of that amp power), and not particularly colored at all. I would highly suggest to use your K5 Pro as a DAC, then get an A30 Pro for it, if you can afford it. Then upgrade your DAC later down the road.

Dec 13, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #696 of 729
That's correct, I believe. XLR from DAC to amp, for balanced.

I don't see any out of stocks. There's just a long wait time, lately. I had to wait 8 weeks for my Bifrost 2.

Lean? Or clean? You want more detailed/analytical, not so much warm/smooth/bassy? So you probably don't want a tube or hybrid, then. Definitely a solid state. I would say the ATOM/ATOM+ sounds completely neutral. Asgard 3 is on the warm side, but not tube warm. A30 Pro sounds very full(maximum bass drive, from all of that amp power), and not particularly colored at all. I would highly suggest to use your K5 Pro as a DAC, then get an A30 Pro for it, if you can afford it. Then upgrade your DAC later down the road.
Yes, clean. And no, I don't want detailed/analytical, I want warm/smooth/bassy.

Tubes always have intrigued me despites I haven't mentioned much here. The tubes looks something else and a lot have said they are more smooth and warmer sounding? The Auris Audio HA-2SF looks something else, I like it the wooden with tubes. Or the Auris Audio Euterpe. But the prices are most into the wood?

And yes, I plan on keeping the K5 Pro because I use it a lot and it fits my needs perfectly. I totally forgot it has optical so whenever I upgrade to LG 42C2 next year, I should be able to connect the TV to K5P and then use my headphones, right? And besides, the strict use for all of this is only for on my PC desk.

I'll check out the A30 Pro. And what about the DX3+ Pro?

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #697 of 729
I should be able to connect the TV to K5P and then use my headphones, right?
In one way or another, I would think this would work.
And what about the DX3+ Pro?
That would be a big downgrade from the A30 Pro, amp-wise, and DAC-wise it's probably about the same performance as your K5P. If you need a good sounding Bluetooth DAC, I think Topping D50s is great. But if you don't need Bluetooth, then I would just use your K5P.

Dec 13, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #698 of 729
In one way or another, I would think this would work.

That would be a big downgrade from the A30 Pro, amp-wise, and DAC-wise it's probably about the same performance as your K5P. If you need a good sounding Bluetooth DAC, I think Topping D50s is great. But if you don't need Bluetooth, then I would just use your K5P.
A30 Pro would be the better choice? I'm wondering too if I should upgrade. I mean, I would like a smooth, warm and fuller sound.

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #699 of 729
A30 Pro would be the better choice? I'm wondering too if I should upgrade. I mean, I would like a smooth, warm and fuller sound.
In my opinion what matters most in an amplifier is the separation of the musical instruments. The schiit magni 3+ that I owned, at moderate volumes, went into acoustic confusion, when there were more musical instruments in the track. Lake People G111 for me is a guarantee in managing the sounds. If you are looking for bass and whatnot use equalizers.

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #700 of 729
In my opinion what matters most in an amplifier is the separation of the musical instruments. The schiit magni 3+ that I owned, at moderate volumes, went into acoustic confusion, when there were more musical instruments in the track. Lake People G111 for me is a guarantee in managing the sounds. If you are looking for bass and whatnot use equalizers.
The G111 is on the list too and my max budget I want to spend is €500. So far Thomann has them. If I don't like it, I should be able to return. This is a big rabbit hole for sure!

I'm not a basshead myself but I like more musical bass, not the muddy or where details are lost. And there are headphones made for bassheads anyway. EQ indeed is the best solution.

Btw, my K5 Pro is unbalanced. Would it be an issue if I use balanced to K5 Pro? It's nice to see the G111 has both unbalanced and balanced but I'd like to know more about connecting balanced device to unbalanced device.

Dec 13, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #701 of 729
G111 has both unbalanced and balanced
G111 is a really goofy amp... It only has balanced INPUTS on the back; the headphone jacks are only unbalanced.
A30 Pro would be the better choice?
A30 Pro is way better than G111, K5 Pro's amp, and DX3+ Pro's amp. It's a no-brainer, and the best I know of up to $500. You won't regret it, if you can afford it. :) G111 will be a little smoother sounding, with poorer/softer bass and detail performance, and slightly more soundstage(but you won't notice it).

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #702 of 729
G111 is a really goofy amp... It only has balanced INPUTS on the back; the headphone jacks are only unbalanced.

A30 Pro is way better than G111, K5 Pro's amp, and DX3+ Pro's amp. It's a no-brainer, and the best I know of up to $500. You won't regret it, if you can afford it. :) G111 will be a little smoother sounding, with poorer/softer bass and detail performance, and slightly more soundstage(but you won't notice it).
Yeah, you're right. Despites the G111 is on the list, now was but never intended to actually get it. I've been searching a lot about those and boy, some reviews are way old, like from 2010 or so! Or was it the other G100 series? To me, the G111 sounds like they crammed G103-S and G103-P together, doubling the price and call it a day.

All I want is smoother and fuller sound, smooth as for smooth treble.

And all I have to do is simply connect the A30 Pro to my K5 Pro using RCA unbalanced and that's it? And doesn't the A30 get too warm in temperatures?

Dec 13, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #703 of 729
The G111 is on the list too and my max budget I want to spend is €500. So far Thomann has them. If I don't like it, I should be able to return. This is a big rabbit hole for sure!

I'm not a basshead myself but I like more musical bass, not the muddy or where details are lost. And there are headphones made for bassheads anyway. EQ indeed is the best solution.

Btw, my K5 Pro is unbalanced. Would it be an issue if I use balanced to K5 Pro? It's nice to see the G111 has both unbalanced and balanced but I'd like to know more about connecting balanced device to unbalanced device.
I hope it will be useful to you.. read at the end of the discussion:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/lake-people-g111.25163/

I prefer to have a clean sounding amplifier. If I want mega deep bass and warm sounds or whatever, I'm going to look for this in the world of headphones.
Good quality solid state amps may be mildly more or less neutral .. but they will always be in the neutral zone (like my V200). It would be traumatic to have a mapped amplifier that accentuates certain frequencies..Oratory1990 presets would be unusable.👋

Dec 13, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #704 of 729
And all I have to do is simply connect the A30 Pro to my K5 Pro using RCA unbalanced and that's it?
Yep! 2 RCA cables, done. I recommend Ghent Audio, if you want some good, new cables.
And doesn't the A30 get too warm in temperatures?
Too warm for who? You can't cook anything on it. : ) All the good amps get a little hot, heh. A30P doesn't get anywhere near as hot as a Loki Mini+ or Vali 2.

Yes, G111 is new. I got one of the first ones out this year, I believe.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #705 of 729
Wow, getting on for the 10th anniversary of the thread!

Having just picked up a G103-S, of course I now learn about the (I think) relatively new MkII. Typical :unamused:
@CTR640 do you know which version you were looking at recently? So obviously the Head-Fi paranoia/OCD kicks in, I would be interested to know the differences/improvements, and hopefully it's relevant here.

Similarly, have there been other earlier revisions? The version I bought has a different front plate to that at the thread start. It looks a little like the MkII in placement of the name and logo. I also think it has different gain settings but don't know for sure.

That out of the way, this thread (or the bits I read!) convinced me to take a punt on Lake People and whatever the version, it won't have become worse :k701smile: I'm particularly intrigued with the comment suggestive of like an O2 but more.

Very much looking forward to the LP G103 arriving and giving at run out, and hopefully it'll be :beerchug: to the thread, not :sob: !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back