Lake People G109 / G103 thread
Sep 25, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #513 of 729
Hello, all!
How compared Violectric V100' sound vs Lake People G109?

..I had a V100 2.5 years, but I sold it and bought a new russian amplifier (great wide scene, beautiful reverberations..) - but it sounds too warm for me and vocal is liquid a little. I want go back: beautiful Lake People G109A (on thomann' site), G109P or V100. Euro is nearly 2 times more expensive than before: v100 a little dear for me now)

How sounds G109: 90%.. 95%.. 97% of V100?
Thank's)

Sep 26, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #514 of 729
At the CanJam Europe 2016 in Essen Germany last weekend Lake People showed their new Lake People HPA RS 02 and HPA RS 08 (balanced!) models. Both are based on the Violectric V100 but have some nice tweaks. More later in a new thread.

Sep 26, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #516 of 729
Hahaha seems that i still can hear some music flowing through the amp, i guess not ^^

My advice is to go to the Lake People/Violectric Germany web site and communicate to them directly with your predicament. Quite often the CEO himself will respond with feedback pertaining to an issue. Be specific with your concern and provide a detailed description of your equipment chain before and after your LP amp.

I think we would all be interested in hearing any feedback that you receive.

Sep 28, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #519 of 729
I've been considering upgrading my Schiit Magni Über2 with the new Schiit Jotenheim. Amp wise I wonder how it compares with my LP G109S. Evidently this amp really pairs well with the HD650's but then so does the G109S. Curious if anyone out there has made this comparison?

Sep 28, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #520 of 729
I think right about now, a lot of people are wondering how the Jotenheim will compare with their amp of choice.

I have the G109S (my version is the G109A); I know how it sounds & what it can do. I look at the Jotenheim, which costs slightly less than I paid for the G109A--but can also be used in balanced mode (I may need that someday) AND as a preamp--and I wonder 2 things:

1. Will it have anything like that slightly warm, grainless, wide-band SS sound of the Lake People amp? Or will it have the drier, more analytical Schiit "house sound"? If the latter, count me out; if the former, I'm very interested.

2. And how will it work & sound as a preamp? How good is the volume pot? Again, if it's works well as a pre-amp, I'm very interested.

I haven't seen any real reviews of the Jotenheim yet, here or in the mainstream audio press. We're all waiting for more user feedback on this device.

Purely on specs, the Jotenheim beats G109S by a mile. You'd have to step up to one of the more powerful Violectrics to come close to matching it. But unless you're driving real current-hungry diva-'phones (and I'm not) specs aren't everything. The Lake People/Violectric house sound isn't something I'll abandon to chase better specs.

Oct 6, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #521 of 729

Purely on specs, the Jotenheim beats G109S by a mile. You'd have to step up to one of the more powerful Violectrics to come close to matching it. But unless you're driving real current-hungry diva-'phones (and I'm not) specs aren't everything. The Lake People/Violectric house sound isn't something I'll abandon to chase better specs.

There's the HPA RS08. Kinda bummed it doesn't have balanced in since the DAC RS06 has balanced outs.

Oct 6, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #522 of 729
Have to be honest (tho I'm way out of my depth here): I never got the sense there's a uniformity of opinion about the value of balance inputs in HP amps (ie, to maintain a balanced signal path throughout entire system). By contrast, there seems to be much agreement that it beneficial when the amp is designed to output balance signal, for headphones can receive it--and balanced output is better than single ended. Am I misunderstanding this/missing something?

Of course, you may have balanced cables you're accustomed to plugging into your headphone amp, and it would be a pain in the butt to get SE cables to accommodate a new HPA RS08. Maybe it's that, not a theoretical objection...?

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #523 of 729
@Pharmaboy

At least in my experience, balanced inputs do allow higher voltage from the DAC to send to the amp, requiring less amplifier gain, therefore decreasing possible distortion from amplification. We do get a line out in exchange for the potential balanced input but I'd prefer balanced inputs over pre-outs. 

Oct 6, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #524 of 729
Got it. Thanks for clarifying.

That must be a kick-ass DAC, though. I've never seen a DAC w/balanced inputs. My NOS 19 is easily the best DAC I've ever had--only 2 previous DACs to compare it with, none of them having balanced inputs.

You must have a Master II or equivalent, to have balanced inputs.

Oct 6, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #525 of 729
I've never seen a DAC w/balanced inputs. My NOS 19 is easily the best DAC I've ever had--only 2 previous DACs to compare it with, none of them having balanced inputs.

What I meant is the amplifier having balanced inputs will benefit from the ability to accept balanced outs from a DAC, minimizing the requirement to add higher gain. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back