La Figaro 339
Mar 21, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #1,669 of 6,903
Snip3r77,

Mate, I was in the exact same boat as you two weeks ago.  I bought it directly from yuking09.  The amp took two weeks to arrive.  This is including Liu testing the amp and then sending it to me. He provided a tracking no. and sent it via DHL.  His english might not be the best, but he makes up for it in quality of the product and decent customer service.

I highly recommend you start shopping for those tubes mentioned by Telecaster, Ultrainferno and the other guys (Red 5693 & 6AS7G).  The stock tubes need to be upgraded asap.  In the meantime, keep an eye out for the those rare tubes.  They keep popping up from time to time. 

I have had the amp for just over a week and today I put the TS 6SJ7GT with the stock power tubes and wow, a world of difference! Bigger soundstage, more clarity, imaging, vocals... The instruments sound absolutely wonderful.  There is so much more feeling in the music.  And I have only done 3 hrs in them!

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #1,671 of 6,903
Quote:
I would be very curious to hear your report on the 6as7g's. No doubt those can be had for a fraction of the cost of the 5998's. I am also curious to know which 6as7g's you ordered? I saw that the Soviet Svetlana Black Plates are on ebay  for $13.95. That looks like a bargain if they sound good in the 339. Looks like you could also get a pair of RCA's nos for about $30. If someone could report on how they compare to the 5998's it would be very interesting.

Yeh I got my RCA6AS7G NOS for around $30. I'll let you know the difference to 5998s when they arrive and I'll compare them with HD650s and HE500s.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #1,676 of 6,903
I have spent way more on tubes than the 339 is worth. The big advantage is the tubes can also be used in my other amps
Imho the stock tubes really suck compared to a simple and cheap RCA 6AS7G and EF80 TFK

I think you're one of those that has a wide collection of the tubes.

If you're not too busy with your listening, can we trouble you do some simple review? It would be most helpful.
Not everyone can chase all the tubes, especially those that is not living in the States and have to spend about ~$20 per delivery.

Thanks and Cheers.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #1,678 of 6,903
so after a few days of receiving my la figaro I'm having a problem with the right channel its humming one of the allen screws was missing but I found it in the box it seems the amp was damaged during shipping because the cage scratched up the top plate as well...  when I pull on the volume knob the humming goes away.... it is also loose compared to the left knob... anyone can help me with this ??? 

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #1,679 of 6,903
yeah it seems their is something causing it, I just don't know if its the volume knob or something inside I guess I'll have to open it up.... also when I move the headphone jack it goes away... 

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #1,680 of 6,903
Sounds like you have a grounding issue, cracked solder point perhaps? somewhere in that vicinity of the amp.
I would contact the retailer, and let them know it was damaged in shipping and see about a warranty exchange.

I wonder if its just a loose ground nut around the pot or TRS jack?

My 337 was also severely damaged.  I blame US customs for not re-packing sufficiently.  My left on/off switch broke off, and was floating around lose in the box.  I didn't even bother plugging it in.  I unscrewed the bottom, replaced the DPDT toggle and was all good in 1-2 days.  Hardest part about the 337 is getting the front faceplate off.  I bought a 90 degree ratcheting screwdriver for that.  Hopefully your 339 faceplate comes right off with the allen screws and you won't need special tools.  If you do chose a DIY repair.

Two of my 337 chassis screws had "warranty void if removed" stickers... So I had to ignore that, being that its a used amp it was no biggie.

Good Luck though!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back