La Figaro 339
Mar 20, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #1,637 of 6,903
How do you guys use the dual mono volume knobs? Am I suppose to adjust them till the singer is in the dead centre? I always adjust the left first then the right.  
Also, the right power tube (facing towards the amp) is glowing a tiny bit brighter. Any cause for alarm?

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #1,638 of 6,903
Quote:
Wish i could, like xmdcq said the 337 is different structure than 339
frown.gif
, but i think some of the mods can be apply too. We can talk about it on London Meet, u coming right?

337 power cap upgrades should be mod-able, at least theres room in there for it... its the output coupling caps that are going to be difficult,  at least thats what I found.

In regards to the knobs I just turn them until I have a balanced image thats the right vol level.  I don't follow any specific pattern.... right to left or left to right. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #1,639 of 6,903
Quote:
How do you guys use the dual mono volume knobs? Am I suppose to adjust them till the singer is in the dead centre? I always adjust the left first then the right.  
Also, the right power tube (facing towards the amp) is glowing a tiny bit brighter. Any cause for alarm?

I concentrate on the back vocals in songs  that normally come from the sides..and when both sides are equal in volume..then its right..and i prefer todo this with eyes closed..that way u can concentrate better..its a 5 second job..easy..both hands on both dials and dial away..
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #1,640 of 6,903
Quote:

That used to bug me (tube OCD)... but no it doesn't matter.  my right TS5998 glows a little brighter too.

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #1,641 of 6,903
Quote:
That used to bug me (tube OCD)... but no it doesn't matter.  my right TS5998 glows a little brighter too.

Yep , my left TS sj7gt driver tube is a bit glowier also..
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #1,642 of 6,903
Quote:

Drivers it's true, but I find driver affect more the treble and mids, while power tubes affect more the low end. Although I confess that I find all tubes good sounding, just different purpose for different music gender!

Oh and with so many tubes Under the Hood, it's like an endless matching game where you can make so much combination, it's like a game, and when a combination stood out, you are pleasantly surprised!

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #1,643 of 6,903
Quote:

From the stereophile review of the 30000€ Orpheus :
"Two separate level controls would've been a nice touch, but there's only one" (speaking of the tube amp in the Orpheus set)

Luckily the 339 has two!

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #1,645 of 6,903
Quote:
Thanks Wall-E again!

I will try that battery bias for sure now! Seems doable enough! How would you describe the bass response to the fix battery bias? I am always looking for more bass extension and weight.

The dynamic resistance of a diode or LED is very low (4-10 ohms), so stage gain is maximised for all frequencies the same, batteries have very low internal impedance less then 1 ohm or so, there is no negative feedback in cathode circuit, leading higher gain too. In my case, using a LED or battery instead of a resistor has significant effect on all aspect of sound.

constant pure DC cathode bias.....under test

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #1,646 of 6,903
Drivers it's true, but I find driver affect more the treble and mids, while power tubes affect more the low end. Although I confess that I find all tubes good sounding, just different purpose for different music gender!

Oh and with so many tubes Under the Hood, it's like an endless matching game where you can make so much combination, it's like a game, and when a combination stood out, you are pleasantly surprised!

Yes, collection and combination of tubes make me addictive.
But, I think the new user of 339 don't need to cost a lot money for expensive power tubes (GEC 6AS7G, Bendix 6080WB, Tungsol 5998), because,the ordinary tubes is good enough (Raytheon 6080, RCA 6080, Slyvania 6080).

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #1,648 of 6,903
Quote:
Yes, collection and combination of tubes make me addictive.
But, I think the new user of 339 don't need to cost a lot money for expensive power tubes (GEC 6AS7G, Bendix 6080WB, Tungsol 5998), because,the ordinary tubes is good enough (Raytheon 6080, RCA 6080, Slyvania 6080).

I have to disagree with you on this. I feel LF339 sounds terrible with stock tubes - my Yulong D100's amp section is better. Upgrading to TS5998 and RCA5693 tubes make a world of difference, have amazing detail and hence the reason why I'm in love with this amp and selling my V200 :)

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #1,649 of 6,903
Quote:
I have to disagree with you on this. I feel LF339 sounds terrible with stock tubes - my Yulong D100's amp section is better. Upgrading to TS5998 and RCA5693 tubes make a world of difference, have amazing detail and hence the reason why I'm in love with this amp and selling my V200 :)

What you say is undoubtedly true, but the cost of those tubes when you can find them is more than half the cost of the amp. Anyone thinking about getting this amp needs to be realistic about the cost of the tubes. You can take this bargain $600 amp and easily spend another $400 on tubes.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #1,650 of 6,903
Quote:

I agree with u golotripa..but u forget one even better pair..instead of the rca5693 reds u use the TS sj7gt mesh plated tubes..
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back