La Figaro 339
Mar 21, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #1,651 of 6,903
As you guys know, that's the reason why I'm kinda 50-50 on this amp.

For the TS tube what would be a good value to start of with.

Thanks

What you say is undoubtedly true, but the cost of those tubes when you can find them is more than half the cost of the amp. Anyone thinking about getting this amp needs to be realistic about the cost of the tubes. You can take this bargain $600 amp and easily spend another $400 on tubes.

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #1,653 of 6,903
Quote:
What you say is undoubtedly true, but the cost of those tubes when you can find them is more than half the cost of the amp. Anyone thinking about getting this amp needs to be realistic about the cost of the tubes. You can take this bargain $600 amp and easily spend another $400 on tubes.

Oh yeh, you're right there. Well in that case, I recommend people don't buy the 339 if they aren't planning to upgrade the tubes. I'm not sure how much better the $170 5998s are than the $50 6as7g but I'll soon have them to compare. Regardless, if anyone is reading, expect to upgrade your tubes!
Quote:
I agree with u golotripa..but u forget one even better pair..instead of the rca5693 reds u use the TS sj7gt mesh plated tubes..
wink.gif

Oooo yes, but I have not entirely forgotten - they are actually on their way and will be here very soon :) ... You + Skylab are the main reason I got these - can't wait. I'll let you know how they go.

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #1,654 of 6,903
Quote:
As you guys know, that's the reason why I'm kinda 50-50 on this amp.

For the TS tube what would be a good value to start of with.

Thanks

I really didn't mean to discourage anyone from buying this wonderful amp. I just wanted to remind people that the game starts when you receive the amp (and so does the expense). It is still a bargain even if the end cost is $1000.

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #1,655 of 6,903
Quote:
I really didn't mean to discourage anyone from buying this wonderful amp. I just wanted to remind people that the game starts when you receive the amp (and so does the expense). It is still a bargain even if the end cost is $1000.

We understand that..this particular amp,being the 339 or 337, can only really shine..and i mean SHINE like no other amp i heard even much more expensive..even if ur total spend on this miracle of sound 1000usd..it still is a brgain then..but as u said..u need to invest in good tube pairing..thats why i am a bit..well..assertive when i read people comparing their tube pimped up tube amp to a bog standard 337/339 and then say that the 337/339 is worse then theirs..as in reality when u compare them both with good tubes the 337/339 is a worthy adversary..capable to bring down amps with really good qualifucations and names! But ofcourse i am talking purely about this amp with he500. And all is imho..
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #1,656 of 6,903
Quote:
Oh yeh, you're right there. Well in that case, I recommend people don't buy the 339 if they aren't planning to upgrade the tubes. I'm not sure how much better the $170 5998s are than the $50 6as7g but I'll soon have them to compare. Regardless, if anyone is reading, expect to upgrade your tubes!
Oooo yes, but I have not entirely forgotten - they are actually on their way and will be here very soon :) ... You + Skylab are the main reason I got these - can't wait. I'll let you know how they go.

Ur wallet probably hates us deeply now
wink.gif

but dont forget..sound also depends on quality of source and which headphones u use..

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #1,658 of 6,903
Quote:
whats a valued tube to get with la figaro 339 ? 

For drivers or power tubes? Tungsol is always a good bet.and g.e.c. as is rca or chatham..bendix is good also. And some like telefunken or sylvania..some even like the more colder SS sounding svetlana....But it all depends on what soundsignature u want..and what music u like..or even what source u use and which headphone..those are all variable to count into ur choice..

my advice..try a few out..

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #1,659 of 6,903
Quote:

I would be very curious to hear your report on the 6as7g's. No doubt those can be had for a fraction of the cost of the 5998's. I am also curious to know which 6as7g's you ordered? I saw that the Soviet Svetlana Black Plates are on ebay  for $13.95. That looks like a bargain if they sound good in the 339. Looks like you could also get a pair of RCA's nos for about $30. If someone could report on how they compare to the 5998's it would be very interesting.

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #1,660 of 6,903
Quote:
I would be very curious to hear your report on the 6as7g's. No doubt those can be had for a fraction of the cost of the 5998's. I am also curious to know which 6as7g's you ordered? I saw that the Soviet Svetlana Black Plates are on ebay  for $13.95. That looks like a bargain if they sound good in the 339. Looks like you could also get a pair of RCA's nos for about $30. If someone could report on how they compare to the 5998's it would be very interesting.

I had svetlana's in my 337 when i bought it..the amp sounded like a heavy SS amp..completely different then the normal sound u expect from a tube amp...they are in my opinion not the best sounding tubes for the 337/339..but if u like a more analytic colder sound..then maybe the svetlana is the right one for u. Imho ofcourse.

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #1,661 of 6,903
I have spent way more on tubes than the 339 is worth. The big advantage is the tubes can also be used in my other amps
Imho the stock tubes really suck compared to a simple and cheap RCA 6AS7G and EF80 TFK

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #1,662 of 6,903
Quote:
I have spent way more on tubes than the 339 is worth. The big advantage is the tubes can also be used in my other amps
Imho the stock tubes really suck compared to a simple and cheap RCA 6AS7G and EF80 TFK

Not everyone is a tube addict like u mister!
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #1,664 of 6,903
Quote:

I'm just making sure I have tubes for the rest of my life time / before they all run out / before prices skyrocket :)

U have a point there..then its good that. I maybe will go back to ss..maybe..
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #1,665 of 6,903
Quote:

+1
Don't need to buy 400$ for two pair of uber rare 5998 and TS6SJ7GT

Go for NOS 6AS7G and 5693!!!! sub 100$ and best investment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back