La Figaro 339
Dec 11, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #5,461 of 6,903
I did think of getting the HE6Se many times and maybe I may later... to drive it off my behemoth Sansui or my Redgum Rgi125enr.

IMG-2861.JPG

Dec 11, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #5,463 of 6,903
@hp4fun - I had the same issue when I owned the Audeze LCD2- closed back. I got very muddy sound from those planers through the 339i.
Now I run my 339i as a preamp to my THX789 and I get the best of the tube sound and the clarity of the SS.
A marriage made in ecstasy, or at least works for me as I do not own any Hifimans.

I hardly plug straight into my 339i any more.

Dec 11, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #5,464 of 6,903
One man's muddy is another man's organic sounding. :)

With my Audeze LCD-X and LCD-3f, they sound superb on my hybrid Ultrasonic Oblivion. The soundstage is breath taking and uber clarity with a slight hint of tube tone from the tubes as input stage.

However I'm enjoying the Audezes on the La Figaro just as much. In fact for the last month, I've been using my LF339 with the planar magnetics solely. Sometime today I will hook up Oblivion again and have another listen. I hold the Oblivion in very high regard but I'm using La Figaro alone for a month. If it sounded muddy to me, I would have toss it :)

Dec 11, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #5,465 of 6,903
I think the key here was that mine were the closed version of the Audeze, which I am sure why it sounded a bit muffled or I didn’t have my tubes rolled in correctly. Im sure the open versions are much better with the 339.

Dec 11, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #5,466 of 6,903
@hp4fun - I had the same issue when I owned the Audeze LCD2- closed back. I got very muddy sound from those planers through the 339i.
Now I run my 339i as a preamp to my THX789 and I get the best of the tube sound and the clarity of the SS.
A marriage made in ecstasy, or at least works for me as I do not own any Hifimans.

I hardly plug straight into my 339i any more.

Tried to follow but something went wrong :frowning2:

I connected my 339i line out as preamp to the Marantz MM7025. When I turned on MM7025, the auto protect kicked in and shut down the MM7025! Not sure why because when it happened in the past, it was because I short circuited the banana plugs.....

Dec 11, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #5,467 of 6,903
connected my 339i line out as preamp to the Marantz MM7025. When I turned on MM7025, the auto protect kicked in and shut down the MM7025! Not sure why because when it happened in the past, it was because I short circuited the banana plugs.....
It may have overloaded its circuits and you want it to shut down as that is it’s protection.
you can try a couple of things:
1) If you have them both plugged into a power strip try plugging the Marantz into a different outlet. The 339i is a beast on power.
2) Turn the 339i on first, then try to turn the Marantz on second as it may be getting a rush of power from the 339i cycling on.

The second option worked for me as my 789 would do the same if it was on before I turned on the 339i.

Also, reverse the order powering down, shutting down the Marantz first.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #5,468 of 6,903
Has anyone noticed this that has 6080 Mullards?
They will flash a bright white light when first turned on?
I thought one of mine was defective when it did this but it is common with Euro tubes such as this.
I will also see a weird glow on the plate for a second or two when warming up about 10 seconds after switching it on.
I think it is pretty cool to see.
I’ll see if I can grab a quick video to share.

@Bruc3 - Watch for this when your Mullards arrive from the UK.

Excerpt from vivatubes.com:
Exceptions & Other Clues

Many but not all European tubes will briefly flash a bright white light when they are switched on.

Look up 'mullard flash', it's well documented especially with Mullards :) I believe it is because the resistance of the cold tube filament on startup is very low, and the initial voltage applied makes it glow white hot just before it warms up and glows a nice orange. I have some Mullard 12AU7s which flash like fireworks on startup, but also a couple that don't flash at all. That's the variability that comes with the handmade nature of tubes :)

Dec 11, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #5,470 of 6,903
Look up 'mullard flash', it's well documented especially with Mullards :) I believe it is because the resistance of the cold tube filament on startup is very low, and the initial voltage applied makes it glow white hot just before it warms up and glows a nice orange. I have some Mullard 12AU7s which flash like fireworks on startup, but also a couple that don't flash at all. That's the variability that comes with the handmade nature of tubes :)
Will do. I think it’s cool actually. There is also a smaller green flash about 10 seconds in.
Must be all those little excited electrons.:)

Dec 11, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #5,471 of 6,903
Well I'm back ! After listening to the Audezes through Oblivion comparing with La Figaro for the last 45 mins or so. After a month away from Oblivion, it was an eye opener !

See you guys, adios ! I'm going to talk in the Oblivion thread..... because LCD-X and LCD-3f just sound ungodly on Oblivion. Not that La Figaro is bad but it's just that Oblivion is.... oblivion. :k701smile:

IMG_1525.jpg

Dec 11, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #5,472 of 6,903
I was kidding of course. La Figaro is in my opinion keeping ball with Oblivion as far as using LCD-X and LCD-3f is concerned. Different tone but both very enjoyable. Oblivion has much wider soundstage to the already wide soundstage from LF339.

La Figaro has more tube tone that's for sure and I like that ! but Oblivion just pick up the note like a concert pianist. Precision, clarity, details.... Oblivion holds it in the palm of it's hands but the Figaro has balls doing bass duties.

Dec 11, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #5,473 of 6,903
im about to get la figaro 339i for my atticus headphone running with r2r , im hesitating between that and feliks echo , anybody here did hear both and could compare ? thx :)

:relaxed::relaxed::relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

Another of those Feliks amp vs La Figaro. I've not owned Feliks Echo but I've owned the bigger brothers or sisters Elise and Euforia. Those 2 Feliks tube amps are good. Very good in fact but if I have to choose for myself, I'll pick La Figaro because it's more aggressive to my ears. It's got the bite. If you ever hear those amps you will know what I mean.

Dec 11, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #5,474 of 6,903
I was kidding of course. La Figaro is in my opinion keeping ball with Oblivion as far as using LCD-X and LCD-3f is concerned. Different tone but both very enjoyable. Oblivion has much wider soundstage to the already wide soundstage from LF339.

La Figaro has more tube tone that's for sure and I like that ! but Oblivion just pick up the note like a concert pianist. Precision, clarity, details.... Oblivion holds it in the palm of it's hands but the Figaro has balls doing bass duties.
Did you ever try pre amp from 339i out to Oblivian? Your mind may explode. :)

Dec 11, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #5,475 of 6,903
:relaxed::relaxed::relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

Another of those Feliks amp vs La Figaro. I've not owned Feliks Echo but I've owned the bigger brothers or sisters Elise and Euforia. Those 2 Feliks tube amps are good. Very good in fact but if I have to choose for myself, I'll pick La Figaro because it's more aggressive to my ears. It's got the bite. If you ever hear those amps you will know what I mean.
your answer was really helpfull ! atticus could benefit from that * aggressive * energy :) beautiful looking one , cant wait to try that , upgrading from valhalla 2 .

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back