La Figaro 339
Dec 11, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #5,431 of 6,909
Do you mind explaining Raytheon 6080WC = Bendix 6080WB a bit more?

And btw why you need to adapter for 6080?

Nice pic!
The particular Raytheon 6080WC I have are pretty unique I think; Raytheon branded 6080s are usually metal plates, and I've yet to come across another with such graphite plates. The important thing with tubes is never the branding, but rather the construction internally. The Bendix 6080(WB) are most notable for their graphite rather than traditionally metal anode plates. They also have ceramic rather than plastic/metal sheet micas. Since my Raytheon has the same internal parts, I would reason these tubes were made by Bendix. then bought and rebranded by Raytheon. That, and they take ages to warm up, also characteristic of their super rugged design (I believe they were originally designed for military use in guided missiles) :)

I've put socket savers (the bottom golden coloured one) on all the sockets in my amp as I change out tubes sometimes multiple times a day. This stops the amp's original socket from loosening/degrading over time, and I can replace the socket saver easily if I wear them out. The socket savers do not rearrange the pinout at all, just for protection purposes.

I am afraid these are not tubes but the amp. I used two different set of tubes (both working properly a couple of days ago) and the right channel still either crackles or is dead...
This sounds like a small internal fault or degraded component that the seller may or may not have known about when they sold it to you. It may have also been damaged during shipping. If you're handy with a multimeter, the first thing you should do is check various points on both sides are electrically identical inside the amp, given that the left channel is good. Make sure that the tube is making good contact first with the sockets as well; blow hard to remove any dust from the sockets, or if you have pressurised air even better.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #5,432 of 6,909
The important thing with tubes is never the branding, but rather the construction internally. The Bendix 6080(WB) are most notable for their graphite rather than traditionally metal anode plates. They also have ceramic rather than plastic/metal sheet micas.

They are also the slotted graphite version which some say are the better version of the Bendix.
I also read that somwhere I believe that the glass was bulletproof??? I am not sure of that claim but would explain the heaviness and longevity of the tube.

Here is a Chatham branded version of a Bendix:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/920556...f=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1&frs=1

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #5,433 of 6,909
They are also the slotted graphite version which some say are the better version of the Bendix.
I also read that somwhere I believe that the glass was bulletproof??? I am not sure of that claim but would explain the heaviness and longevity of the tube.

Here is a Chatham branded version of a Bendix:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/920556...f=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1&frs=1
There have been extensive posts on the 6AS7 thread detailing all the different plate constructions of the Bendix, slotted, full graphite, cross etc. I definitely can't comment as these are the only one's I've owned, and the only Bendix branded ones I've heard briefly were of identical construction. From experience however, it is more likely the date of construction and different materials used would result in different sound, and the different plate structures a correlative of that. I can't imagine the shape of such parts making such a noticeable impact on the sound, rather than a change in metals of other parts used, for example. Of course, that is just my opinion :)

I neither have a gun nor the willingness to test out the bulletproof claim, but I can attest to the fact that I have dropped one from a height and it was unscathed. The datasheet states it is spec'd to withstand 10Gs of force. Serious stuff!

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #5,434 of 6,909
37 guests looking in !!! Holy mackerel. @Ultrainferno you been posting too much !

Me? What did I do?
I'm still sad Yuking isn't interested in reviewing the new version. My (old) review must have sold a lot of units for them

Also interesting is that this thread was started 10 years ago by a person who only has 27 posts.
I guess he didn’t have a lot to say.:darthsmile:
This is funny

Dec 11, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #5,435 of 6,909
The particular Raytheon 6080WC I have are pretty unique I think; Raytheon branded 6080s are usually metal plates, and I've yet to come across another with such graphite plates. The important thing with tubes is never the branding, but rather the construction internally. The Bendix 6080(WB) are most notable for their graphite rather than traditionally metal anode plates. They also have ceramic rather than plastic/metal sheet micas. Since my Raytheon has the same internal parts, I would reason these tubes were made by Bendix. then bought and rebranded by Raytheon. That, and they take ages to warm up, also characteristic of their super rugged design (I believe they were originally designed for military use in guided missiles) :)

I've put socket savers (the bottom golden coloured one) on all the sockets in my amp as I change out tubes sometimes multiple times a day. This stops the amp's original socket from loosening/degrading over time, and I can replace the socket saver easily if I wear them out. The socket savers do not rearrange the pinout at all, just for protection purposes.

This sounds like a small internal fault or degraded component that the seller may or may not have known about when they sold it to you. It may have also been damaged during shipping. If you're handy with a multimeter, the first thing you should do is check various points on both sides are electrically identical inside the amp, given that the left channel is good. Make sure that the tube is making good contact first with the sockets as well; blow hard to remove any dust from the sockets, or if you have pressurised air even better.
Thanks, it worked properly at the begenning.. i am technically ignorant so not able to chceck with multimeter, but will chceck the sockets. Thanks!

Dec 11, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #5,436 of 6,909
I am afraid these are not tubes but the amp. I used two different set of tubes (both working properly a couple of days ago) and the right channel still either crackles or is dead...
could be the resistors - maybe the caps. Take it to a technician to check it over for ya

Dec 11, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #5,438 of 6,909
I neither have a gun nor the willingness to test out the bulletproof claim, but I can attest to the fact that I have dropped one from a height and it was unscathed. The datasheet states it is spec'd to withstand 10Gs of force. Serious stuff!

Hahahaha I certainly won't test it with a gun. Let's just say that it's very robustly constructed and feels heavier than other 6080s that's for sure.

Dec 11, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #5,439 of 6,909
Me? What did I do?
I'm still sad Yuking isn't interested in reviewing the new version. My (old) review must have sold a lot of units for them

I was messing with you lol. However it's true that your original review have turn a lot of people to owning the LF339.

So in light of that, I certainly think it would be wise for Yuking to make a LF339i and give it to you for another review because that new review will win over a few hundreds more purchases of this amp.

Dec 11, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #5,440 of 6,909
My Mullard and AWA Radiotron 6SJ7gt tubes arrived today. Took much longer than I expected since it was sent within Australia. However it arrived very well packaged and the tubes and original boxes are as new as can be. How did they keep such old tubes so well for so long? I will feel guilty to use these unused tubes for the first time.... but I have to. I can't resist. :ksc75smile:

IMG_1518.jpg

Dec 11, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #5,441 of 6,909
Another pair of drivers that sound splendid and are ultra quiet. Now paired with RCA 6as7g.

I will be honest here. I was a bit bias that RCA 6as7g would only sound mediocre but now in this setup with LCD-3f, I am very impressed ! Very relaxed, warm but still very detailed and nuanced. So much so I couldn't say flat out that the Bendix 6080wb is better..... well better in what way? All I can say is that with either set of power tubes and the various drivers, my LF339 just keep on impressing me... or has not failed to impress me.

IMG_1519.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #5,443 of 6,909
Another pair of drivers that sound splendid and are ultra quiet. Now paired with RCA 6as7g.

I will be honest here. I was a bit bias that RCA 6as7g would only sound mediocre but now in this setup with LCD-3f, I am very impressed ! Very relaxed, warm but still very detailed and nuanced. So much so I couldn't say flat out that the Bendix 6080wb is better..... well better in what way? All I can say is that with either set of power tubes and the various drivers, my LF339 just keep on impressing me... or has not failed to impress me.

IMG_1519.jpg

The RCA always have taken a backseat in my mind too, but every time I plug them in I am reminded that they are very nice tubes, with a welcoming, warm signature. I spent some time with the Bendix tonight. The bass, as expected, is stupendous, but to my ears they are still a little too energetic in the upper mids --> treble; some may call it shouty. They do pair beautifully with my HD650, but overall to my ears are still too forward-sounding for HD800, which I much prefer the RCA.

Overall, I think we have come to similar conclusions regarding graphite 6080 and RCA :) Continuing on the pursuit for tubes with good bass, I'm listening to now to some Brimar 6J5G input tubes. Not available with the standard LF339i but Brimar tubes, and British made tubes in general are very well rounded, usually slightly warm in presentation with very good technicalities across the board. My preferred sound :)

Dec 11, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #5,444 of 6,909
Have you tried the mesh input tubes (6SJ7(W)GT)? Yum!
Get a pair if you find them, you can thank me later :wink:

I have a pair, courtesy of Tintin but they are no where near your condition. Yours is new and shiny, mine looks like they have been discovered by Robinson Crusoe on that lost island. If you treasure vintage tubes, I'm willing to do an exchange. :wink: :yum:

Dec 11, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #5,445 of 6,909
The RCA always have taken a backseat in my mind too, but every time I plug them in I am reminded that they are very nice tubes, with a welcoming, warm signature. I spent some time with the Bendix tonight. The bass, as expected, is stupendous, but to my ears they are still a little too energetic in the upper mids --> treble; some may call it shouty. They do pair beautifully with my HD650, but overall to my ears are still too forward-sounding for HD800, which I much prefer the RCA.

Overall, I think we have come to similar conclusions regarding graphite 6080 and RCA :) Continuing on the pursuit for tubes with good bass, I'm listening to now to some Brimar 6J5G input tubes. Not available with the standard LF339i but Brimar tubes, and British made tubes in general are very well rounded, usually slightly warm in presentation with very good technicalities across the board. My preferred sound :)

Ah I seeeeee, you're using HD800. That explains it all. I have my HD800 but I rarely use it now but it's an old favourite. With that headphone, you want to use a double RCA 6as7g.

British tubes are like the poms, rounded and jovial, relaxed and curvy .... you know what I mean. :beyersmile: I mean in a good way. Pretty much like British speakers. I love them actually.

For example Spendor speakers.

Spendor was founded in the late 1960s by Spencer and Dorothy Hughes – the ‘Spen’ and ‘Dor’ in the name. Spencer applied the knowledge and expertise he’d gained as an engineer in the BBC’s sound engineering department to create his first loudspeaker, the BC1. This game-changing design quickly became the monitor of choice for broadcasters and recording studios worldwide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back