La Figaro 339
Nov 10, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #2,447 of 6,903
Hello all, I just received a La Figaro 339 '2013' amplifier and when I turned it on, the left power tube doesn't light up. The sides of the left is white at the base and the other is silver so I guess that it arrived broken. There's some glass or ceramic rattling in the left tube as well.

Turning the amp on, both indicator lights were bIue. I checked the heat after turning them off and they were both hot... so does this mean that it might still work even if it doesn't light up? And is it risky to try to plug in a headphone when one tube does not work, or will the left channel just be quieter/silent? 

Last thing; are the tubes for the stock and 2013 339 the same? And are the russian 'otk 1' tubes good? I know the chinese power tubes are not the best having gone through the thread, didn't expect to have russian tubes sent to me though.

Thank you for helping, I am looking forward to trying out the La Figaro!!

Nov 10, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #2,448 of 6,903
  Hello all, I just received a La Figaro 339 '2013' amplifier and when I turned it on, the left power tube doesn't light up. The sides of the left is white at the base and the other is silver so I guess that it arrived broken. There's some glass or ceramic rattling in the left tube as well.

Turning the amp on, both indicator lights were bIue. I checked the heat after turning them off and they were both hot... so does this mean that it might still work even if it doesn't light up? And is it risky to try to plug in a headphone when one tube does not work, or will the left channel just be quieter/silent? 

Last thing; are the tubes for the stock and 2013 339 the same? And are the russian 'otk 1' tubes good? I know the chinese power tubes are not the best having gone through the thread, didn't expect to have russian tubes sent to me though.

Thank you for helping, I am looking forward to trying out the La Figaro!!

Do they look something like this if so i wouldnt use it. if you think its still good try a cheap headphone first wouldnt want to blow the good ones. you will probably change those out anyways .Use the SEARCH THIS THREAD FUNCTION .you will find your answers .                                                                                                               

Nov 10, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #2,449 of 6,903
I would never use my amp if one tube didnt work...its to dangerous!
I would just get another pair of tubes (as u need matched pairs to make the 339 sound on its best)..
But just to be sure...buy a cheap pair...so u can check whether its just the broken tube or that the socket of the amp is not working or something else...am almost sure its just a broken tube..and in that case...DONT use it...dont try ur luck...buy a cheap pair and try it with those...if they both work...then buy better ones to replace ur pair with one broken tube..

But ofcourse its up to u...me? I would never ever use my amp with one tube not glowing/working..i would switch it off immediately and let it cool down..switch out both the tubes (power or driver tubes) and switch it on again without the headphones connected..if they both light up..try them out with a cheapish headphone...and only then i would be relaxed to connect my premium headphone to it...BETTER SAFE THEN SORRY i always say..

But as i said..its probably a broken tube..good luck with it.

Nov 10, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #2,450 of 6,903
edit: removed

Nov 11, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #2,451 of 6,903
Don't try using that tube, it's defective.  You risk your headphones or the amp, it's just not worth it.  If you received the tube from LF in that state, send them a mail; they should have known something was off.  If I were you I'd just order myself a new pair.  Don't go for anything super expensive to begin with, read this thread and get it from a reputable seller close to where you are located to avoid import hassles and costs.

Nov 11, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #2,452 of 6,903

Don't try using that tube, it's defective.

I bought it from a reseller on ebay, not directly from yuking. I am looking at a pair of 'RCA JAN 6AS7G Tube' on ebay, which should be ok for now.

I am thinking of changing the stock input tubes, would these be worth buying? 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6J4P-6AU6-EF94-HF-Pentode-Tubes-Glass-Envelope-NOS-8pc-/131181968705?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1e8b0dfd41

The price for these input tubes is $4 each so I am skeptical that they would be any better than the russian tubes.

The input tubes sent to me with the LF look just like these:

Nov 11, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #2,453 of 6,903
Do try to stay away from the Chinese and Russian input tubes. The winged svetlana power tubes can be quite good but only buy them from a reputable seller. Didn't you get EF80 or another adapter from Yuking?
Your left power tube is broken, it's that easy. Don't use it anymore and don't turn on your amp. Wait till you get new tubes

Nov 11, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #2,454 of 6,903
I bought from a reseller and there were no adapters. Going to order GE 6AC7 and RCA 6AS7G tomorrow and I will update when the amp is working; thanks all!

Nov 11, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #2,456 of 6,903
I got that recommendation from phiero's review way back on page 14

Amp Tubes (Little Outside Ones), in order of sound quality:

EF800 from Telefunken (with converter)
EF80s from Telefunken & other brands (with converter)
6AC7s from GE
6SJ7s (both metal & glasstop) from RCA, Mullard, NEC etc.
Stock WF80/EF80 Tubes
Stock Russian 6*4 Tubes

And the stock russian tubes I have say 6*4 on them... am I on the right track?

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #2,458 of 6,903
I'm looking at modding this amp.

Anyone has a BOM list on how to mod this?

BTW, I may also seek the help of my local amp tech guy, if he looks at the amp will he be able to know on how to mod this?

Also, any idea on what are the components that are worth to upgrade? those upgrades that didn't affect sound of course I will not touch it.

Last but not least, worth to mod this or upgrade to a something higher end?

Thanks.

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #2,459 of 6,903
The designer of the la figaro has said in the past:

'I redesigned the new machine 339 in order to further improve 337. The output capacitance of 337 series machines is only 50μF but 339 is 130μF, so 339 have more strength in the bass'

I'm no expert, check for yourself if you can raise the capacitance to 200-250 for better bass response? Besides that I have nothing else to suggest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back