La Figaro 339
Nov 12, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #2,461 of 6,903
The 339 IS high end.

+1 I've seen amps from 'reputed' brands selling at 5-6 times the price opened up only to find lower grade components, shoddy and sometimes unsafe builds etc.  The DV/LF amps are very good as far as quality goes but their marketing is a disaster, that's what keeps 'em down.

If you absolutely want to mod then I'd advise you to start studying electronics and go from there.  On my 337 the power supply was upgraded, caps changed...but I don't know what the present 339 config is, except for the caps change that was mentioned.  It's a good product as it is.

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #2,462 of 6,903
The excess capacitance will make the bass transient response no good.Moderation is best.

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #2,463 of 6,903
My BOM at #1548.

I'm looking at modding this amp.

Anyone has a BOM list on how to mod this?

BTW, I may also seek the help of my local amp tech guy, if he looks at the amp will he be able to know on how to mod this?

Also, any idea on what are the components that are worth to upgrade? those upgrades that didn't affect sound of course I will not touch it.

Last but not least, worth to mod this or upgrade to a something higher end?

Thanks.

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #2,464 of 6,903
  The winged svetlana power tubes can be quite good but only buy them from a reputable seller.

Have you heard about the plain svetlana 6AS7G power tubes as well as the winged? People are mentioning in the thread that svetlana tubes are similiar to SS, I am thinking of getting some and comparing them to a SS setup. Never tried tubes before...

I bit the bullet and am waiting on:

Matched Pair GE 6AC7
GE Red Hots 5693
and
RCA 6AS7G
Dawn Sound 6N13PT (which I think will not perform that well, I just wanted to compare as I never had a tube amp before).

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #2,465 of 6,903

Have you heard about the plain svetlana 6AS7G power tubes as well as the winged? People are mentioning in the thread that svetlana tubes are similiar to SS, I am thinking of getting some and comparing them to a SS setup. Never tried tubes before...

I bit the bullet and am waiting on:

Matched Pair GE 6AC7
GE Red Hots 5693
and
RCA 6AS7G
Dawn Sound 6N13PT (which I think will not perform that well, I just wanted to compare as I never had a tube amp before).

The sound is imo determined by (decreasing importance):  headphones, amp topology, tubes, dac.

The 339 is said to be a lot warmer than the 337; I personally like a neutral sounding amp so the 337 is right up my alley.  But the sound is different from SS gear, no mistake.  That can be a good or a bad thing depending on what you like.  It's said that the 337 is -in its class- one of the most ss sounding tube amps, with your 339 that will be less so.  If you like SS gear with a bit of a tube flavour, look at something using JFETS such as some of the FirstWatt amps (designed for speaker use but they'll drive most headphones just fine if you're careful).  I think the winged =C= Svetlanas are nice tubes, prefer them over the RCA.  And the 5693 are one of my favourites, very nice.

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #2,466 of 6,903
  I think the winged =C= Svetlanas are nice tubes, prefer them over the RCA.

Do you have experience with regular svetlana tubes? For example:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/221583289027?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107&chn=ps

Just was interested in seeing how much they would be different to RCAs, I think I will enjoy the tube sound for what it is.

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #2,467 of 6,903
If RCA would be the letter A, Svetlana would be the letter V. Just saying they don't sound anything alike
Personally I prefer the RCA over the russians any day, but I like smooth tube sound, and my compatriot like solid state sound. That pretty much explaines our difference in tube preference as well

Nov 13, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #2,471 of 6,903
Nope, I just had to replace one left channel resistor that went boom. It's fully stock, besides the tubes.
I hardly ever use my 339 anymore, I just don't have the time but I'm keeping it!

Nov 13, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #2,472 of 6,903

I love the black version. What else besides cosmetics were modified in this version?

Inter Cable connection: Oyade 510 OCC sliver, Neotech OCC sliver, Gold-plating wire

RCA input: WBT 2010ag

Film Cap: MIT PPFX, M-Cap Supreme Silver foil, EC

Elect Cap:BHC

Resistor: Caddock,Figaro Custom

Diode: ......Unkown

Attenuator: DACT CT-2

Tube socket: CMC telfon

Solder: WBT Silver Solder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back