La Figaro 339
Apr 9, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #6,856 of 6,903
Do you think that it's worthwhile to invest 3-5 times the amount of money on costly amplifiers like the Euforia or Woo Audio amplifiers?
I used to have La Figaro 339 and Woo wa2 (and 3) and i think the choice is up to one's preferences. Woo wa 2 and 3 are not better than La figaro, just very different soundwise. For sure the difference in price has nothing to do with quality of sound. While Woo amps look awesome i found their sound to be a bit sterile and harsh. Also soundstage of La figaro was deeper, which i liked better. All this is obviously subjective, but i would not think in this case the more expensive amp is better.

Apr 9, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #6,857 of 6,903
LF339 is good, I personally am looking for a cleaner, linear OTL amp. And the more linear OTL amps are the more expensive variety...
I still have the LF339 and plan to bust it out again once I get some 3rd party headphone cables (for HD800S, LCD-X, HEDDphone etc). I also have the LF339i but it's still with the tech; they must have forgotten about it so I'm calling them up later this year to get it back. I really liked the LF339 sound as a preamp to solid state amps, especially for the Focal Clear which gets boomy directly connected to the LF339.

May 11, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #6,859 of 6,903
Jun 24, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #6,860 of 6,903
Enjoying the HD800S with classical - Verdi's 'Aida' - from LF339 with the Cetron 7236 and 6SJ7GT mesh tubes. Fed signal from Soekris 1421 -> Topping A90D as preamp.
I find if I keep the 339 volume at 10 o'clock and increase volume from preamp I avoid the tube clipping / hollowness that I was experiencing previously. I used to attenuate the signal much more and increase the 339 volume to 1-2 o

Anyone here using Figaro with 6J5GT tubes?

Jun 24, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #6,862 of 6,903
Sure - a few of us are but you CANNOT just put those in there without an adaptor or socket rewire. Few pages back I posted about it in more detail.
Found it thanks, gonna need a second cup of coffee to read through this, good stuff THANK YOU. Where can we get adaptors from?

Jun 24, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #6,865 of 6,903
It’s quite a nice amp, especially nice for 600ohm phones. Owned quite a few OTL and this one is my favorite by far. I’ve found the “higher end” or more expensive models tend to lean toward a brighter more detailed sound which isn’t my cup of tea. This is quite a dynamic and powerful sound which retains some richness. Adding the 6J5 adds to that signature. I wouldn’t recommend it for the preamp function however, you’re better served with a purpose built preamp.

Jun 24, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #6,866 of 6,903
Been playing with the idea of owning one of these amps for years and am real close to pulling the trigger, on the DROP request list at the moment. and have a boat load of 6J5 tubes laying around
You can ask @xmdkq, he was the inventor of the 339/339i but I don’t think they are making them anymore.
You might be better off keeping your eye out for one in the secondary market.
I had two, sold one on here to a happy member, and kept the second one for myself.
Yes, they are that good.

Jun 24, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #6,867 of 6,903
Pulled this amp out of storage after couple years and looks like mold got to it a bit. Does anyone have experience with mold on electronics? Do amps care?
I am planning to wipe the outsides but not sure what’s on inside

Jun 24, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #6,868 of 6,903
Pulled this amp out of storage after couple years and looks like mold got to it a bit. Does anyone have experience with mold on electronics? Do amps care?
I am planning to wipe the outsides but not sure what’s on insid
white vinegar and baking soda will kill that mold.

Jun 24, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #6,869 of 6,903
You can ask @xmdkq, he was the inventor of the 339/339i but I don’t think they are making them anymore.
You might be better off keeping your eye out for one in the secondary market.
I had two, sold one on here to a happy member, and kept the second one for myself.
Yes, they are that good.
The cost to build them properly went through the roof, 🙄

Jul 1, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #6,870 of 6,903
After upgrading my DAC (from a modi Multibit/mojo to Hugo2), I am rediscovering the La Figaro. I find that the unique characteristics of this amp, I.e. the wide and holographic soundstage plays well with the abilities of the Hugo2 and significantly improves the experience that I am getting. I also found out that one of the headphones that didn’t work very well with the La Figaro, the HD800, now synnergize particularly well, so much so that I keep getting back to this combo over and over. Here’s what I found out:

Previously, I had settled on a tube combo of TS 5998/RCA 5693 as my preferred choice. While this combo worked magic with the Audeze LCD3, it produced harsh, somewhat artificial glaring highs with HD800. I erroneously thought that the LF amp itself is not a good fit for the HD800.

Recently, based on some comments in this thread about the synergy between HD800 and 7236/6SJ7GT tubes, I gave it a shot. I had a pair of Sylvania 7236 and Philips 6SJ7WGT (they are quite close to 6SJ7GT) which I tested with the HD800. The source was hqplayer upsampling to 768K fed into Hugo2, then to LF 339. Here are my impressions: (1) zero treble glare on HD800, (2) no sibilance. This is so magical, even the songs that were completely unlistenable previously, are not only listenable now, but actually sound quite good. (3) Vocals sound as perfect as I can imagine, voice textures are amazing. (4) bass impact is very very satisfactory and natural. No longer I have to ignore the lack of bass, constantly reminding myself that these are HD800. (5) wide and holographic soundstage with adequate height, forward presence and imaging. These characters are a result of hqplayer and LF amp working hand in hand.

I can confidently say that this setup is the best I have heard so far on the HD800 (although I presume that the HD800 can shine even more with higher end setups that are beyond my means). It's better than my other amp, Violectric V280, which is also a widely acclaimed pairing for HD800. While the V280 has great bass quality and microdynamics, the LF amp wins over the Violectric in terms of bass weight, heft of individual notes and overall macrodynamics. Where the V280 sounds a little more sublime is in classical music. However, based on my subjective preference, I feel the V280 to sound a bit polite with other musical genre. The extra subtle aggressiveness of the LF amp pays off in jazz, acoustic and live recordings (I was listening to some Bruce Springsteen live performances, which sounded very life-like to my ears). Based on my past experience, it's not easy to strike the right balance of dynamism and treble glare on HD800 without attenuating specific peaks in the FR. That's why I feel this is such a prized combo. Overall, for music enjoyment, I prefer the pairing of HD800 with the LF amp over V280.

Curious that the 7236/6SJ7WGT makes such a drastic difference with HD800 over 5998/5693, I substituted between the two combinations, one at a time, e.g. I would replace 7236 with 5998, keeping 6SJ7WGT constant. Then I would replace 6SJ7WGT with 5693, keeping 7236 constant, and so on. What I found out is that the 5998 is the sole contributor of treble harshness in HD800, since replacing 6SJ7WGT with 5693 didn't change the sonic characteristics too much, but bringing in 5998 (even with 6SJ7WGT as rectifiers) brought back the harshness. I think, the dynamic character of 5998, along with its extended treble is contributing to the problem here. With HD800, we probably need something with slightly rolled off highs, extended bass while preserving the soundstage and instrument separation. That's exactly what the 7236 is providing here.

Having converged on the power tubes, I will continue experimenting with other rectifier tubes to figure out if I find an even better combo, but so far I can safely conclude that I have reached a stable plateau in terms of musical enjoyment with HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back