La Figaro 339
Dec 30, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #4,006 of 6,903
How much better would a 339 Drive Sennheiser HD650 headphones compared to Lotoo Paw Gold Diana?

Dec 31, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #4,008 of 6,903
Never heard any Lotoo gear, but I would wager a lot better based on the fact that most portable gear will hold back the HD600/HD650 series.

Do you know anything about bottlehead crack with the 1.1 speedball modification?

Dec 31, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #4,009 of 6,903
Do you know anything about bottlehead crack with the 1.1 speedball modification?

I haven't heard it, but it's a very safe bet for this headphone. No question one of the most legendary pairings in this hobby is the Crack/Speedball/HD650. I decided on the 339 and haven't looked back. I have posted many impressions over the years, which are glowing. Since then, I use the ZDS as my other amp. I consider the 339 as trading blows with the ZDS, even if the ZDS is more consistently refined, clear, fast, and solid in the bass regions (relatively). The 339 is a special amp with the HD600/650s. I tend more towards the HD600 from this series as late.

On the topic of the Crack/Speedball, you can find hundreds if not thousands of accolades on this site and elsewhere. It will make the HD650 spring to life. My understanding is that it becomes much more dynamic, holographic, and "musical." The speedball upgrade is essential since it will speed up the transient response of the slower stock Crack. A crucial point to consider is that upgrades make a huge difference, so if you can DIY or pay someone for the best upgrades available, all the better (pot, caps, wiring), in addition to tubes.

The 339 has its own particular, seductive character that prevents me from ever selling it. No other amp has this. Again, I've posted a lot about it on the thread. Just love the amp, and you can use it with many planars such as HE-500 and LCD-2 to outstanding effect.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #4,010 of 6,903
I haven't heard it, but it's a very safe bet for this headphone. No question one of the most legendary pairings in this hobby is the Crack/Speedball/HD650. I decided on the 339 and haven't looked back. I have posted many impressions over the years, which are glowing. Since then, I use the ZDS as my other amp. I consider the 339 as trading blows with the ZDS, even if the ZDS is more consistently refined, clear, fast, and solid in the bass regions (relatively). The 339 is a special amp with the HD600/650s. I tend more towards the HD600 from this series as late.

On the topic of the Crack/Speedball, you can find hundreds if not thousands of accolades on this site and elsewhere. It will make the HD650 spring to life. My understanding is that it becomes much more dynamic, holographic, and "musical." The speedball upgrade is essential since it will speed up the transient response of the slower stock Crack. A crucial point to consider is that upgrades make a huge difference, so if you can DIY or pay someone for the best upgrades available, all the better (pot, caps, wiring), in addition to tubes.

The 339 has its own particular, seductive character that prevents me from ever selling it. No other amp has this. Again, I've posted a lot about it on the thread. Just love the amp, and you can use it with many planars such as HE-500 and LCD-2 to outstanding effect.

Do I select the brighter tube selection or the warmer tube selection on the 339 for the Sennheiser hd650 Headphones? Which tubes do you use?

Dec 31, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #4,011 of 6,903
I use quote unquote "brighter." Go 6SJ/5693: Way more delicious tube rolling options ime. I’ve posted extensively in tube combinations here. But so have others, who have taught me. Search the thread for nuggets of wisdom.

Let me be absolutely clear with you. The 339 is a special amp that has its own signature. I perceive it as amazing. If you yearn for a more neutral tonality, this is not the amp for you.

I also very much enjoy the dual volume pot.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #4,012 of 6,903
I use quote unquote "brighter." Go 6SJ/5693: Way more delicious tube rolling options ime. I’ve posted extensively in tube combinations here. But so have others, who have taught me. Search the thread for nuggets of wisdom.

Let me be absolutely clear with you. The 339 is a special amp that has its own signature. I perceive it as amazing. If you yearn for a more neutral tonality, this is not the amp for you.

I also very much enjoy the dual volume pot.

The dual volume is a feature I think I would enjoy too.

Jan 3, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #4,013 of 6,903
I would say depending on the tubes used, this amp can be more neutral than not.

Jan 7, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #4,014 of 6,903
I would say depending on the tubes used, this amp can be more neutral than not.

Especially with the GE power tubes you recommended to me, which are amazing from the 339. This amp can definitely be tuned toward neutral, especially the most recent build. No question. It just has a certain character IMO that I find endearing.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #4,015 of 6,903

Well that last sentence there just convinced me to save up for one of these bad boys...go big or go home right? (was thinking of the DarkVoice336SE but even on the Chinese website, they kept pushing costumers to La Figaro)

What you guys think of this site? ---> http://www.thetubestore.com/

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #4,016 of 6,903
PSA-The 339 is back on Massdrop for a short time.

Feb 25, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #4,018 of 6,903

Users who are viewing this thread

Back