La Figaro 339
Mar 12, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #1,546 of 6,903
Quote:

This my 339 renference final upgrade.

looks like one of those amps modified by Yuking called 339 Reference, did he had built it or you did?
Can you share with us with more tech details about this mood pls, thanks.

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #1,547 of 6,903
Quote:
The chinese headphone forums have DIY members modding DV amps.  I  have seen similar mods on those forums, running through google translator.
Some of the skills and workmanship no those forums is every bit as good as anything you's see here.

Those forum members don't always make their way over here.  Some HF posts and a Chinese forum.  Some really wicked stuff.  Looks like power section resistor loads are being distributed on these builds.  Arrays of smaller resistors in place of 3-4 big ones. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/611348/help-needed-to-upgrade-the-capacitor-in-otl-tube-amp/90#post_9182513

http://www.head-fi.org/t/611348/help-needed-to-upgrade-the-capacitor-in-otl-tube-amp/90#post_9193890

http://www.diybuy.net/viewthread.php?tid=461889&extra=&page=1

thank you, I appreciate that you took the time to explain it to me definitely interesting stuff.

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #1,548 of 6,903
339 reference parts list --

Inter Cable connection: Oyade 510 OCC sliver, Sumimoto OCC sliver

RCA input: WBT 2010ag

Film Cap: AudioaCap PPMFX, M-Cap Supreme Silver foil

Elect Cap:BC 059, CDE 101C

Resistor: Caddock MS series

Diode: NI high speed diode

Attenuator: DACT CT-1

Tube socket: CMC telfon

Solder: Jensen Silver Solder with 4% 

Tube: Telefuken EF806S, Bendix 6080

Hand made by Xmdkq

339 reference parts cost over 2,500$. 
For adjust the best quality, cost over 5 years. 
  When Xmdkq made it, I token it back.
After year after, I felt something not enough, 
We used some news parts or tech improve it.
  Then, Xmdkq use some effective parts 
(price can acceptable)on LF339 
form 339 reference made experiences 
,so...my 339 reference is prototype.
  Now, 339 reference can't be better.
When it driving Gardo PS1000,
 anyone can enjoy it one afternoon, 
even he or she isn't a audiophile.
  It's nature, pure and prefect . 
HF likes STAX 007T2 Omega, 
MF likes Sinnheiser Orpheus,but Dynamic ,
LF and Transient response is better than them.
I think the LF339 circuit has 
unlimited potential, If you can give money and time,
 you can get a miracle.

(My English isn't good, 
if reading difficulty,  excuse me, please.:frowning2: )

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #1,551 of 6,903
Wow..that built is wonderfull..but 2500$?  My god..thats a whole lot of cash for updates..so a 339 reference would cost around 3200$? And still need nice tubes..so a fast calculation so a complete reference 339 will cost ya a total of almost 3600$? 
eek.gif

Mar 13, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #1,552 of 6,903
Quote:
Wow..that built is wonderfull..but 2500$?  My god..thats a whole lot of cash for updates..so a 339 reference would cost around 3200$? And still need nice tubes..so a fast calculation so a complete reference 339 will cost ya a total of almost 3600$? 
eek.gif

It looks already like 3,5 grand isn't it? but unfortunately building "non-compromise" amp with all the premium parts can generate such an sum of money.

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #1,553 of 6,903
Quote:
  When Xmdkq made it, I token it back.
After year after, I felt something not enough, 
We used some news parts or tech improve it.
  Then, Xmdkq use some effective parts 
(price can acceptable)on LF339 
form 339 reference made experiences 
,so...my 339 reference is prototype.
  Now, 339 reference can't be better.
When it driving Gardo PS1000,
 anyone can enjoy it one afternoon, 
even he or she isn't a audiophile.
  It's nature, pure and prefect . 
HF likes STAX 007T2 Omega, 
MF likes Sinnheiser Orpheus,but Dynamic ,
LF and Transient response is better than them.
I think the LF339 circuit has 
unlimited potential, If you can give money and time,
 you can get a miracle.

(My English isn't good, 
if reading difficulty,  excuse me, please.
frown.gif
)

What do you mean by meaning "use some effective parts"?
In the middle of 2011 Xmdkq(Yuking) has changed the way of biasing the (input stage) tube in LF339 from the standard method by placing resistance in series in cathode also know as self bias or automatic bias to something different, installing two white box instead cathode bias resistor. I tried figure out, what the "white box" is? so the mystery white box could contain a resistor, a cathode bypass capacitor, a bypassed CCS, an LED, a rechargeable cell or some combination, your reference 339 also have it, do you know what type of bias it is or what is inside?
thanks.

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #1,554 of 6,903
Quote:

What do you mean by meaning "use some effective parts"?
In the middle of 2011 Xmdkq(Yuking) has changed the way of biasing the (input stage) tube in LF339 from the standard method by placing resistance in series in cathode also know as self bias or automatic bias to something different, installing two white box instead cathode bias resistor. I tried figure out, what the "white box" is? so the mystery white box could contain a resistor, a cathode bypass capacitor, a bypassed CCS, an LED, a rechargeable cell or some combination, your reference 339 also have it, do you know what type of bias it is or what is inside?
thanks.

Some effective parts includes "high speed diode, noninductive resistance, more high capacitor, "whitebox"....."
(not all LF339 can be use these, some parts is for custom)

2011, my 339 reference was completed, then, I had hearing it for a time.
I told Xmdkq "I feel EF86 not as good as 6SN7 in vocal, although EF86 has very charming HF, but vocal is lack of emotion."
Then, he develop the "whitebox", but didn't tell me any detail about it. He only called it "constant current load". 
When the "white box" was installed, I felt vocal was more sweet than before. (But not big change)
Then Xmdkq used the "whitebox" on all LF339, we consider the parts is useful for five-element tube.

Mar 14, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #1,555 of 6,903
Quote:

Some effective parts includes "high speed diode, noninductive resistance, more high capacitor, "whitebox"....."

I told Xmdkq "I feel EF86 not as good as 6SN7 in vocal, although EF86 has very charming HF, but vocal is lack of emotion."
Then, he develop the "whitebox", but didn't tell me any detail about it. He only called it "constant current load". 
When the "white box" was installed, I felt vocal was more sweet than before. (But not big change)
Then Xmdkq used the "whitebox" on all LF339, we consider the parts is useful for five-element tube.

That's explain a lot! thank you very much and sorry for my curiosity.

Mar 14, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #1,556 of 6,903
Wall-E I'm curious how would that translate to? What is the white box? I m little lost because with triodes I feel vocals to be sublime!

Edit: I remember now that in the Rosenkavalier amp that also use triodes he uses that constant current load biasing method too...

I have to redo the adapter for 6SJ7 imput tubes because one side is messed up ^^, this time I'll go with ceramic tube base and teflon socket!

Got a new lens so I had to take a shot!

Mar 14, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #1,557 of 6,903
Quote:
Wall-E I'm curious how would that translate to? What is the white box? I m little lost because with triodes I feel vocals to be sublime!

Edit: I remember now that in the Rosenkavalier amp that also use triodes he uses that constant current load biasing method too...

I have to redo the adapter for 6SJ7 imput tubes because one side is messed up ^^, this time I'll go with ceramic tube base and teflon socket!

Got a new lens so I had to take a shot!

The "white box" could be called Fixed Bias, all the current version of lf339 is using fixed bias method in the cathode circuit.
I bought my amp before it so my amp was self biased, if I got one definitely I would open it and check it out.
biggrin.gif

I bias the input stage tubes with resistor,  RC bypass, LED and finally with the rechargeable cell. The first two methods are self biased the LED and the rechargeable battery is fixed bias.The advantage of the RC bypass, LED or battery over a resistor is that the stage will have higher gain.

All the method sound better then cathode resistor itself I'm still impressed with the sound LED biased cathodes or RC bypass but none have come close to the difference of putting a battery for cathode bias. Battery bias kept the dramatic improvement in the bass and improve the presentation in the mid and upper range.

BTW, very nice shot I hope, u get the adapters working soon :))) and do some picture, ceramic base and teflon socket it may look cool!

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #1,558 of 6,903
I believe the correct terminology is CCS ( Constant Current Source ).

How much does the White Box costs?

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #1,559 of 6,903
Quote:
I believe the correct terminology is CCS ( Constant Current Source ).

How much does the White Box costs?

Yes, It should be called CCS.Thank you for your correction, my English is not good.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back