La Figaro 339
Mar 7, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #1,516 of 6,900
Quote:
I let it burn in for at least 100hours..not non stop..as i was afraid of blowing it up as it gets very hot..lolz..so it took a while..some say tube amps need at least 200 hours..i guess u have to try it out urself..
and a tip i learned from a tube man

switching on:
- switch the amp on WITHOUT the headphones connected and the source off ( or not connected also ) and the volume set on zero
- let the amp/tubes warm up for at least 15 min
- connect/switch on the source
- connect the headphones
- play the music and slowly adjust the volume on ur 337/339 to ur liking

Switching off:
- turn down volume on 337/339 to zero
- switch off source
- disconnect headphone
- turn 337/339 off

ps..dont switch off and then turn on immediately..they dont like that..let it off for at least 15 sec.

ps2 if u wanna change tubes..let the amp cool down completely!!

oops..i sound like momma telling u to wash ur teeth in mornings and evenings..sorry guys..just wanted to share the infoi got from a a very good tube modder.

Ok great thanks for this. I was pretty much following this, except the first time I only allowed 5 minutes warm up - I think that was the problem.

5998s were really fantastic while they lasted. They worked yesterday, and now today one tube has stopped working. I switched tubes around and confirmed it was one of the tubes. I guess I'm back to stock tubes until I can get replacements :frowning2:. Is this weird for a tube to stop working after 1 day? I followed that procedure of turning on and off pretty much the same..

BTW Stock tubes + 5693 is big bass punch, but little extension. Overall, stock tubes are quite crap lol. V200 is much better than LF339 with stock tubes, even my Yulong D100MK2 is probably better.

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #1,517 of 6,900
Quote:

you guys are real mind readers and your knowledge and experience shows!
after hearing the he500 and 339, I was really thinking what to do with the hd650 & crack speedball.. both are great but one Im not trying to start a collection.
But what I"ll do it keep he500/339 in the bedroom and move the hd650/crack to my family room, as these are open back they disturb my wife from falling asleep
when cranked up a little bit at night.  This way I have alternatives both very good which are pretty good.

The real question is what to do with my LCD2.2, I love how these sound and look but really don't want to buy a dedicated amp for it.
right now I just use it with a dragonfly dac no amp at my workstation, I know it could be better but probaly not from the 339 / crack though I haven't tried.
I know the best amp for it is probably the Violectric v200, but don't feel like dropping $800 on a solid state amp anymore.  I rather use the money for tube rolling!

The other thing part of it is and I'm implying the LCD2.2 isn't transparent , but it doesn't seem to scale up as much as he500/hd650 though I admit I haven't heard it with the top amps like Cavalli Liquid Fire.  I do have the Q Cable with banana plugs ends, so I think I will run the LCD2.2 off speaker taps for the time being.

Well I just got LF339, V200, HD650 and LCD2.2. I'm not "feeling" the LCD2.2 at the moment in general. It does definitely perform better on V200 due to slightly better bass response, smoother treble than the LF339+5998+5693 but it doesn't change the whole signature of the LCDs. I say, if you don't already prefer the LCD2.2's sound to your other headphones, I doubt your going to prefer it much more with a better matched dedicated amp. Just my opinion and trying to help :)

Oh, and that 339 + my tubes combo is truly awesome with HD650s - exactly what I was looking for!.. V200 is really great and I would definitely have kept it with HD650s if I was sticking to solid state. LF339 however is just that much better musically and in overall detail - only with upgraded tubes though. Time for me to try HE500 :p

Mar 8, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #1,518 of 6,900
Quote:
I didn't say that it doesn't excel in any genre, I said it was great with every genre, but unlike a headphone such as the HD800 for instance, it doesn't master one particular genre with a firm grip.

I thought the HD650 paired with the Crack allowed it to sound faster, but also never said it was particularly amazing with electronica music.  To my ears, the HD650 will always be a slower, more laid back pair of headphones, but the crack makes its bass so crisp and impactful, and background so clean, that electronica music works.

I apologize for any misleading information above.

I do agree, I have both amps as well

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #1,519 of 6,900
After reading some recent posts, I can't wait for mine to arrive! 

Fricking customs, I have to pay $40 in taxes for four tubes worth $100.  Add $30 on top for shipping.  Very sad right now, but hopefully the sound will be worth it.

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #1,520 of 6,900
Quote:

Fricking customs, I have to pay $40 in taxes for four tubes worth $100.  Add $30 on top for shipping.  Very sad right now, but hopefully the sound will be worth it.

Let us know if they turned out to be mesh plates

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #1,521 of 6,900
Quote:
WOW, you have both the speedball and the 339 set.

How does the 650 + Crack compares with the HE500+339?
Do you agree with VC that He500 doesn't excel in any genre and 650 excels in electronic?

Thanks

the he500 is really is a well rounder it does sound pretty good with all genre's.
that second point is very interesting, I use my hd650 mainly for acoustic /jazz / classical because its wider soundstage spaces things out more then my he500/lcd2.2 which seem more narrow in comparison also instrument separation is very good.  As far as electronic, I haven't tried much with the hd650 so I'm really just guessing but I can't see it beating the he500/lcd2.2 for electronic for one important attribute for me with electronic music.  he500/lcd2.2 can get very physical/visceral in the bass whereas the hd650 really can't, I really need that tight slam for electronic  (yea I started off with car audio having 2 15's in my trunk :) ).

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #1,522 of 6,900
Quote:
Well I just got LF339, V200, HD650 and LCD2.2. I'm not "feeling" the LCD2.2 at the moment in general. It does definitely perform better on V200 due to slightly better bass response, smoother treble than the LF339+5998+5693 but it doesn't change the whole signature of the LCDs. I say, if you don't already prefer the LCD2.2's sound to your other headphones, I doubt your going to prefer it much more with a better matched dedicated amp. Just my opinion and trying to help :)

Oh, and that 339 + my tubes combo is truly awesome with HD650s - exactly what I was looking for!.. V200 is really great and I would definitely have kept it with HD650s if I was sticking to solid state. LF339 however is just that much better musically and in overall detail - only with upgraded tubes though. Time for me to try HE500 :p

thanks for this feedback especially since you own the V200 and going through same thing with your lcd2.2, yea I love my hd650/crack speedball and my 339/he500, so with the lcd2.2 aren't getting much use.  As good the lcd2.2 is its become the odd man out I don't want to buy yet another amp, there's something about these tube amps that makes me not want to buy a solid state amp anymore.

btw when you try the he500 with the 339 , its going to be a life changing experience!

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #1,527 of 6,900
Hahaha, I've been changing my mind about the LCD-2 ever since I got it (sell or not sell). If I do ever sell it (I wouldn't see why atm) I don't think I'd buy another one in the future. Well ok, maybe the LCD-3 which I enjoy more.

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #1,528 of 6,900
Quote:

I completely know how u feel..i had same situation twice while ordering 3 pairs of excellent tubes..my bendix 6080 wb graphite columned, the 5998 and my 5693..although i hated dutch customs..am so happy with my tubes..especially the 5998.
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #1,529 of 6,900
Quote:
I only really started liking the LCD-2 with the V200 when I got a higher level dac, now I don't want to let it go anymore

Ahhhh.. I suspect my Yulong D100 might be letting me down here if you feel like that - although I think it does a reasonable job. The deal breaker for me was the pressure it inserts on my upper cheeks. Can't deal with it, so I'm moving on. Plus, HD650 is a gun on 339.

PLUS, tubes are the best novelty ever! They look so cool as well! See ya later solid state - never going back.

LF339 4 LIFE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back