L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Jul 15, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #2,206 of 4,419
My lks004's amanero board comes without power supply board. As I know this version of LKS004 only sold in Hong Kong, requested by the dealer. He knows this is the best way to power the amanero.

I think there is a switch to do this? I think someone mentioned here before

Thanks the quick answer.

I suppose a solution, although not a very pretty one, would be to identify which of the 4 pins that connect the amanero board to the power supply provide the - and + DC and solder a cable to them.

Jul 15, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #2,207 of 4,419
firstnano_s.jpg

The wires running thru the beads carry up to 250V AC in some countries, someone can get injured if the insulation fails. The 3 wires are bent at an angle and under tension

I cringed when I saw that.

Jul 16, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #2,208 of 4,419

This is truly disappointing, there is no datasheet for this product so any meaningful discussion on how it could be superior is not possible.
A lot of fancy sales lingo though

Graphene is an interesting material but at the end of the day it acts like a metal shield, it has very low resistivity to move the noise energy elsewhere but it is not dissipated,
inorder to get the best performance the graphene sheet has to be grounded

https://www.electrosmogshielding.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=742&CAT_ID=102&numRecordPosition=1>font size=

The manufacturer makes clear the need for a grounding strap because of the nature of Graphene.
RF Attenuation look awesome compared to the Fairrite M6 and the 3M combined!

...But you need to connect the shields on every chip with wires and it creates a new set of problems.

Graphene is not the only game in town, metal loaded epoxy paint can give even better performance.
MG Chemicals these make products
http://www.mgchemicals.com/downloads/comparison-tables/Water-based Conductive Coating Comparison Chart.pdf
FerritePaint.png

First column is ferrite loaded nickel paint, the others are epoxy silver and epoxy nickel

The ferrite paint resistivity is 20X that of the other metal paints (0.027 vs 0.00053)

This means ferrite converts 20X more of the noise energy to heat, once the noise energy is dissipated it is gone,it is now thermal energy that ends warming up the room by a little bit
The metal paints have very low resistivity so it pushes the noise to the local ground, ground is like the sewer system of the DAC, it still has to move the crap back to the electric utility.

The DAC has to be able to push back to the tap of the local substation transformer and the power plant, eventually the sewer is going to backup if the DAC cannot send all this crap fast enough to the real ground on the generator itself

With ferrite a lot of that unwanted energy is gone and this considerably eases the pressure on the electrical ground from the listening room all the way back to the generator

In really crude terms the ferrite absorbers eat up 20X of the noise before it reaches ground, graphene and metal shields channel nearly all of it untouched to the main sewer outlet aka ground.
Using the DSD256+ rates the noise shaping adds an increasing amount of aliasing noise that has to dealt with, the higher the rate, the closer it is to full scale
On DSD256 it is about 2/3 fullscale, meaning the noise can be louder than the audio signal.

Ferrite absorbers are so effective that they do not need to be grounded, this is why I use them, people can replicate what I do with a minimum of fuss.

Uptone uses 2 ferrite shielded inductors in your LPS-1

The tendency of some audiophiles to champion big numbers ignores some of the subtlety on what it takes to really make things work.
Again this comes back to the point of having meaningful data and knowing how to use it.

Your comment about the use of ferrite is quite ignorant.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #2,209 of 4,419
firstnano_s.jpg

The wires running thru the beads carry up to 250V AC in some countries, someone can get injured if the insulation fails. The 3 wires are bent at an angle and under tension

I cringed when I saw that.
thank you for the comments solely based on the appearance. I have 3 of this pc and they are working very good. very quiet and extremely low noise floor. here is 220v

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #2,210 of 4,419
This is truly disappointing, there is no datasheet for this product so any meaningful discussion on how it could be superior is not possible.
A lot of fancy sales lingo though

Graphene is an interesting material but at the end of the day it acts like a metal shield, it has very low resistivity to move the noise energy elsewhere but it is not dissipated,
inorder to get the best performance the graphene sheet has to be grounded

https://www.electrosmogshielding.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=742&CAT_ID=102&numRecordPosition=1>font size=

The manufacturer makes clear the need for a grounding strap because of the nature of Graphene.
RF Attenuation look awesome compared to the Fairrite M6 and the 3M combined!

...But you need to connect the shields on every chip with wires and it creates a new set of problems.

Graphene is not the only game in town, metal loaded epoxy paint can give even better performance.
MG Chemicals these make products
http://www.mgchemicals.com/downloads/comparison-tables/Water-based Conductive Coating Comparison Chart.pdf

First column is ferrite loaded nickel paint, the others are epoxy silver and epoxy nickel

The ferrite paint resistivity is 20X that of the other metal paints (0.027 vs 0.00053)

This means ferrite converts 20X more of the noise energy to heat, once the noise energy is dissipated it is gone,it is now thermal energy that ends warming up the room by a little bit
The metal paints have very low resistivity so it pushes the noise to the local ground, ground is like the sewer system of the DAC, it still has to move the crap back to the electric utility.

The DAC has to be able to push back to the tap of the local substation transformer and the power plant, eventually the sewer is going to backup if the DAC cannot send all this crap fast enough to the real ground on the generator itself

With ferrite a lot of that unwanted energy is gone and this considerably eases the pressure on the electrical ground from the listening room all the way back to the generator

In really crude terms the ferrite absorbers eat up 20X of the noise before it reaches ground, graphene and metal shields channel nearly all of it untouched to the main sewer outlet aka ground.
Using the DSD256+ rates the noise shaping adds an increasing amount of aliasing noise that has to dealt with, the higher the rate, the closer it is to full scale
On DSD256 it is about 2/3 fullscale, meaning the noise can be louder than the audio signal.

Ferrite absorbers are so effective that they do not need to be grounded, this is why I use them, people can replicate what I do with a minimum of fuss.

Uptone uses 2 ferrite shielded inductors in your LPS-1

The tendency of some audiophiles to champion big numbers ignores some of the subtlety on what it takes to really make things work.
Again this comes back to the point of having meaningful data and knowing how to use it.

Your comment about the use of ferrite is quite ignorant.
just like high quality cables I always mentioned, you never heard, you never known. and high quality doesn't mean must be expensive. you have to spend time to read and find what is the best for the price, and listen to it yourself. but certainly 'studio' cables are a no-go

Jul 16, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #2,211 of 4,419
just like high quality cables I always mentioned, you never heard, you never known. and high quality doesn't mean must be expensive. you have to spend time to read and find what is the best for the price, and listen to it yourself. but certainly 'studio' cables are a no-go

You can go much further than that. I and probably a few others here can get you started on making output impedance measurements on the DAC, and also how to measure the cable impedance/capacitance/reactance, if you are interested.
This puts at least some basic engineering into your cable selection and matching.

Please do not take personal offense when others disagree with your 'studio' cables view point.
Lashing out at @aggielaw and using @Forgisound as a proxy when you should be bringing up the RF absorber matter with me is not acceptable.

Jul 16, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #2,212 of 4,419
You can go much further than that. I and probably a few others here can get you started on making output impedance measurements on the DAC, and also how to measure the cable impedance/capacitance/reactance, if you are interested.
This puts at least some basic engineering into your cable selection and matching.

Please do not take personal offense when others disagree with your 'studio' cables view point.
Lashing out at @aggielaw and using @Forgisound as a proxy when you should be bringing up the RF absorber matter with me is not acceptable.
I understand that you are able to distinguish little differences with different cables
I understand that you are able to judge by just seeing the appearance of the cable.
I do really understand why you have to bring up lots of data, numbers, theories from the paper provided you are able to see and hear some parts of the world.

I am really sorry about that.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #2,213 of 4,419
Thanks the quick answer.

I suppose a solution, although not a very pretty one, would be to identify which of the 4 pins that connect the amanero board to the power supply provide the - and + DC and solder a cable to them.
Another solution is to get an external usb/i2s bridge that uses Amanero https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/l-k-s-audio-usb-100-usb-audio-interface-pcm384-dsd512.html. That cost money of course. Although if you only have the basic Amanero unit (no upgraded clock), this will kill two birds with one stone.

Jul 17, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #2,214 of 4,419
Another solution is to get an external usb/i2s bridge that uses Amanero https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/l-k-s-audio-usb-100-usb-audio-interface-pcm384-dsd512.html. That cost money of course. Although if you only have the basic Amanero unit (no upgraded clock), this will kill two birds with one stone.

I'd forgotten that device even existed.

When I was shopping around for one I ended up buying a Singxer su-1, which is what I currently use.

b0bb's recent insight into the current state of the amanero board's firmware made me wonder if it had become a viable option and i think it really has.

The Singxer still edges it in terms of sound stage and micro detail but, in my case, I think that is coming from the better power supply. I modded my Su-1 (caps/lt3045 etc) and power it via a lps 1.2.

That's the reason I want to find the best power source for the amanero.

I didn't realise I could upgrade the clocks on the amanero board?!

Has anybody else done this?

Jul 20, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #2,215 of 4,419
I can confirm the relatively high output impedance of the LKS phono and balanced outputs. I first tried the phonos driving my power amp directly, using excellent Black Cat Airwave 3202 interconnects and variable output volume. Very poor, limp and with a tilt towards the treble. It simply cannot drive a power amp well. I switched to using the XLR outputs into my Pass preamp and that was much better with the power and slam returning. Even so, I rejected first Townshend DCT-300 XLR interconnects as having some glare, followed by Townshend Fractal F1 XLRs which sounded better but still had a hot treble. I also tried Yannis ConnectLitz XLRs and they just sounded different. Finally, when I tried Coherent 6D XLR interconnects, the results where what I wanted - a balanced and powerful sound with very extended bass and phenomenal midrange clarity without glare.

This to me proves that the LKS doesn't have inherent glare, but it does have an output stage more susceptible to cable performance than many other DACs.

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #2,216 of 4,419
I can confirm the relatively high output impedance of the LKS phono and balanced outputs. I first tried the phonos driving my power amp directly, using excellent Black Cat Airwave 3202 interconnects and variable output volume. Very poor, limp and with a tilt towards the treble. It simply cannot drive a power amp well. I switched to using the XLR outputs into my Pass preamp and that was much better with the power and slam returning. Even so, I rejected first Townshend DCT-300 XLR interconnects as having some glare, followed by Townshend Fractal F1 XLRs which sounded better but still had a hot treble. I also tried Yannis ConnectLitz XLRs and they just sounded different. Finally, when I tried Coherent 6D XLR interconnects, the results where what I wanted - a balanced and powerful sound with very extended bass and phenomenal midrange clarity without glare.

This to me proves that the LKS doesn't have inherent glare, but it does have an output stage more susceptible to cable performance than many other DACs.
6D costs £3000.00 1m. And yes cables do matter. LKS004 is very sensitive to cables.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #2,219 of 4,419

Was this test done with the stock DAC or the one with the modified XO board?
As an aside, what it the crossover frequency between the tweeter and midrange of your Usher speakers?

Jul 21, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #2,220 of 4,419
For me, the LKS does not work well as a preamp. I use it as a pure DAC with fixed volume.

The cable comparisons were performed before the modified clock was installed. That just brought the performance further up (I had already swapped out the 575 for a TXC crystal at that point).

The Usher Dancer Be-20 crosses over at 432Hz (bass to mid) and 3.53kHz (mid to treble).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back