L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Jul 13, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #2,193 of 4,419
The LT3042 was bought on eBay. Attached is an image. Hope it's OK?

LT3042.jpg

Jul 13, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #2,194 of 4,419
Today I have separated the transformer space from the rest of the device. A 3M 1 mm thick panel (used to protect RF and EMI) has slipped between the transformers and the main board. It is fastened between a transformer and a green connector. It seems to me firm. So I did not touch anything in the device. I also cut a piece of this board onto the top of the HDMI connector and wound it over the open rear connector.
It seems to me that the distortions and hardness in the high resolution area are reduced. It seems to me that the sound is a little better. If I'm not mistaken and the background is a bit darker.
I tried that piece of 3M board to stick to the oscillator, but the result was bad so i took it off.

Jul 14, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #2,197 of 4,419
I tried that piece of 3M board to stick to the oscillator, but the result was bad so i took it off.

The 3M absorbers have metal power in them, this will disrupt the magnetic field in and around the XO, the shield just reduces the amount.
You have discovered how sensitive XOs can be to their surrounding magnetic fields.

Use the absorber on the 2 square chips.

There is some scope for experimentation here, I also used the Fairite M6 and @MartinWT used a Laird absorber with a slightly different range.

If you can get those other absorbers give it try to see if the high range 3M sheet is better, of if the Fairite sheet that absorbs at the card operating frequency range (1-25MHz) is the better choice.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #2,198 of 4,419
The 3M absorber only eliminate noise starts from a few hundred megahertz which, like cheap cables, is typical low performace passive device ability. 1K to 1M frequency remains untouched.
OK, but the difference is heard. The board is firm and dense. Transformers are probably damping because the board is pressed tightly against the windings of one of the transformers, along with the green connector. Also, the HDMI connector is damped. So, maybe it's more about damping and less about EMI RF protection.
But the result is a cleaner sound.

Jul 14, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #2,199 of 4,419
OK, but the difference is heard. The board is firm and dense. Transformers are probably damping because the board is pressed tightly against the windings of one of the transformers, along with the green connector. Also, the HDMI connector is damped. So, maybe it's more about damping and less about EMI RF protection.
But the result is a cleaner sound.
Certainly it still has effect but not the best results provided it is not full range. Furthermore ferrite is not the best material. The latest effective products are having graphene as one of the effective materials dealing with RF, plus rare earth metals. Ferrite is very old school and has its side effects. So Fair rite M6 which is ferrite is also not recommended.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #2,201 of 4,419
Certainly it still has effect but not the best results provided it is not full range. Furthermore ferrite is not the best material. The latest effective products are having graphene as one of the effective materials dealing with RF, plus rare earth metals. Ferrite is very old school and has its side effects. So Fair rite M6 which is ferrite is also not recommended.
Do you know which absorbers contain graphene and where can they buy it?

Jul 15, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #2,202 of 4,419
Does anyone mention to change the RCA Sockets with better ones? Like WBT Nextgen? I don't like Rhodium plated plugs and sockets.

Regards
I think, WBT NextGen is a good choice. Do you need to check the diameter of the holes in the chassis of the DAC.
But Cardas is a great choice, and Jinbo did not choose it for no reason. It's rhodium over silver. It is characterized by clarity of sound.

Jul 15, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #2,203 of 4,419
No. Yes I am one of the few commented LKS004 bass was not an issue and I am listeniing through speakers. And yes I admit the bass is coming from the speakers+room response. But I disagree the cause of "not an issue" is this. If you feel the bass is weak and thin, first please check your cables. I have used some pure silver cables (made by Lavricables, their top of the line Master series, power cord and speaker cables) and serveral interconnects from Oyaide, DH Labs. They all made the sound quality bad including weak bass, harsh high, glare etc. After I changed to good quality cables whole frequency range sound correct and no distortion. What you are doing now adjusting the sound signature of LKS004 is all based on the cables you are using. I would say the stock LKS004 is everything all right.
And my Amanero is powered by uptone LPS1.2

Can I ask how you're powering the amanero board via your lps 1.2?

I disconnected the internally mounted power supply hoping that power could simply be provided via the USB cable but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Jul 15, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #2,204 of 4,419
Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #2,205 of 4,419
Can I ask how you're powering the amanero board via your lps 1.2?

I disconnected the internally mounted power supply hoping that power could simply be provided via the USB cable but this doesn't seem to be the case.
My lks004's amanero board comes without power supply board. As I know this version of LKS004 only sold in Hong Kong, requested by the dealer. He knows this is the best way to power the amanero.

I think there is a switch to do this? I think someone mentioned here before

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back