L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Jul 10, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #2,176 of 4,419
No. Yes I am one of the few commented LKS004 bass was not an issue and I am listeniing through speakers. And yes I admit the bass is coming from the speakers+room response. But I disagree the cause of "not an issue" is this. If you feel the bass is weak and thin, first please check your cables. I have used some pure silver cables (made by Lavricables, their top of the line Master series, power cord and speaker cables) and serveral interconnects from Oyaide, DH Labs. They all made the sound quality bad including weak bass, harsh high, glare etc. After I changed to good quality cables whole frequency range sound correct and no distortion. What you are doing now adjusting the sound signature of LKS004 is all based on the cables you are using. I would say the stock LKS004 is everything all right.
And my Amanero is powered by uptone LPS1.2

I do not find the LKS004 to be sensitive to cables under 10ft , I run the studio grade stuff from Canare, Mogami and Gotham. The cables are interchangeable.

LKS004 has to be compared to another DAC to bring its limitations into focus. I have the Schitt Yggdrasil and T+A DSD8 on occasional loan, both handily beat the stock LKS004 in the bass department whether it is on headphones or speakers.
Now that Amanero has addressed the Native DSD issue, I am considering getting the T+A which also uses Amanero.

I have started down a slightly different mod path for the LKS004 this time.
1)HQPlayer (HQP) converting everything to DSD512, at that high rate most of the internal DSP processing in the 9038 is bypassed, this processing is partly responsible for the poor bass performance.
2)HQP's SDM modulators are far superior to the on chip ones on the 9038 and it does a better job converting PCM-->SDM
3)Amanero native DSD mode is very close to being completely done.

Bass performance with the polysinc-xtr filters right now is slightly better than the Yggy.
To completely get rid of the 9038's processing would require DSD1024 (its internal rate), we not quite there yet.

Jul 10, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #2,177 of 4,419
I do not find the LKS004 to be sensitive to cables under 10ft , I run the studio grade stuff from Canare, Mogami and Gotham. The cables are interchangeable.

LKS004 has to be compared to another DAC to bring its limitations into focus. I have the Schitt Yggdrasil and T+A DSD8 on occasional loan, both handily beat the stock LKS004 in the bass department whether it is on headphones or speakers.
Now that Amanero has addressed the Native DSD issue, I am considering getting the T+A which also uses Amanero.

1)HQPlayer (HQP) converting everything to DSD512, at that high rate most of the internal DSP processing in the 9038 is bypassed, this processing is partly responsible for the poor bass performance.
2)HQP's SDM modulators are far superior to the on chip ones on the 9038 and it does a better job converting PCM-->SDM

Bass performance with the polysinc-xtr filters right now is slightly better than the Yggy.
To completely get rid of the 9038's processing would require DSD1024 (its internal rate), we not quite there yet.
My 004 is very sensitive to cables. Both power cord and XLR. I have a pair of Gotham 11301 with Neutrik plugs and these are the worst XLR I ever tried with 004. Phase distortion, harsh human voice, glare treble, narrow frequency range and dynamic.
I can tell the difference each and everything single pair of XLR I have tried with 004. And my XLRs are all 1m or less

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #2,178 of 4,419
My 004 is very sensitive to cables. Both power cord and XLR. I have a pair of Gotham 11301 with Neutrik plugs and these are the worst XLR I ever tried with 004. Phase distortion, harsh human voice, glare treble, narrow frequency range and dynamic.
I can tell the difference each and everything single pair of XLR I have tried with 004. And my XLRs are all 1m or less
Gotham 11301 is the GAC 4/1 Ultra Pro, it is the most expensive cable in Gotham's range, normally available only on special order and they need extra large boots from Neutrik.

It is a specialized cable for very long (20ft +) low loss runs driven by preamp.

The LKS004 XLR output stage lacks the power to handle the large capacitance due to the star-quad layout. This is yet another example of the need to understand the DAC's limitations.

Most expensive is not always the best in the proaudio world, prices reflect the intended use.
Saner persons would have chosen something more down to earth like the GAC3 at 10% of the cost for interconnect duties.

I have a set connected to the Yggy which has 10x the LKS004's drive capability.

PS. My set on the LKS never sounded as bad as you describe, on mine it is more of a gentle rolloff of the treble
The cable is needs careful attention to tiedown of the 5 separate shields, if not grounded properly the capacitance can increase making it even more difficult to drive.
The person who made the cable for you probably messed up the construction.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #2,179 of 4,419
Gotham 11301 is the GAC 4/1 Ultra Pro, it is the most expensive cable in Gotham's range, normally available only on special order and they need extra large boots from Neutrik.

It is a specialized cable for very long (20ft +) low loss runs driven by preamp.

The LKS004 XLR output stage lacks the power to handle the large capacitance due to the star-quad layout. This is yet another example of the need to understand the DAC's limitations.

Most expensive is not always the best in the proaudio world, prices reflect the intended use.
Saner persons would have chosen something more down to earth like the GAC3 at 10% of the cost for interconnect duties.

PS. My set on the LKS never sounded as bad as you describe, on mine it is more of a gentle rolloff of the treble
The cable is needs careful attention to tiedown of the 4 separate shields, the person who made the cable for you probably messed up the construction.
Thank you for the information. I only used my set for few days.
I agree the most expensive is not always the best. But nothing good comes cheap.
Canare, Mogami and Gotham are similar in price and should not be any big difference.

Jul 10, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #2,180 of 4,419

The cable is needs careful attention to tiedown of the 5 separate shields, if not grounded properly the capacitance can increase making it even more difficult to drive.
The person who made the cable for you probably messed up the construction.

I use these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MZLZK0C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) between the LKS and my preamp; am I correct in reading your post to say I should change these out because they may be contributing to the glare and harshness I hear from the LKS?

Side note: when I purchased my LKS I had it shipped to Ric Schultz at EVS Audio. He commented on the paucity of bass and improved the power supply in addition to performing this list of mods: (http://tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/LKS_Mods.html) Should I replace the Canare still?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #2,181 of 4,419
I use these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MZLZK0C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) between the LKS and my preamp; am I correct in reading your post to say I should change these out because they may be contributing to the glare and harshness I hear from the LKS?

Side note: when I purchased my LKS I had it shipped to Ric Schultz at EVS Audio. He commented on the paucity of bass and improved the power supply in addition to performing this list of mods: (http://tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/LKS_Mods.html) Should I replace the Canare still?

Your LKS004 will always sound harsh and glared with this grade of cables no matter how much u mod it, even you put an MSB Select DAC into it

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #2,182 of 4,419
Hi everyone, I found out that because the lks XLR output has such a high output impedance, and the output stage is also the I/V conversation stage, picking the right cable is very tricky. Also the slightest HF comming in backwards over the XLR's messes everything up. It's so sad that lks didn't build a good buffering stage for the XLR's into the DAC.
So I'm working with the RCA output at the moment. It's fully buffered.
That's probably also the reason why I don't have any HF degradation coming from the I2S HDMI input working with the SU-1 at the moment .
I find working with high end audio extremely complex and complicated. You can hear everything. Every little change. But that's also why I like the hobby.

Jul 10, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #2,183 of 4,419

Hmm. Is the problem just with 9038 or all delta sigma dacs. Is it an option to convert all audio files to dsd offline. I am thinking using polysinc-xtr filters will put quite a strain on the CPU/GPU which potentially means more power consumption and may be generate more noise.

Jul 10, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #2,184 of 4,419
Hi everyone, I found out that because the lks XLR output has such a high output impedance, and the output stage is also the I/V conversation stage, picking the right cable is very tricky. Also the slightest HF comming in backwards over the XLR's messes everything up. It's so sad that lks didn't build a good buffering stage for the XLR's into the DAC.
That's probably also the reason why I don't have any HF degradation coming from the I2S HDMI input working with the SU-1 at the moment .
I find working with high end audio extremely complex and complicated. You can hear everything. Every little change. But that's also why I like the hobby.
How does harmonica sound with RCA? LKS sounds worst when playing harmonica

Jul 10, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #2,185 of 4,419

The Canare L4-6ES is one of the most transparent and neutral cables on the market, this is one reason it is found extensive use in music recording studios, keep using it.
It does not contribute any significant coloration for lengths < 10ft, so everything you here is straight out of the DAC.

Problem lies squarely with the LKS 004, you may have heard of the term "Sabre Glare", this is it.

@littlexx26 used a massive Gotham cable, it can fit 4 Canare cables within its diameter, the LKS does not have the ability to drive than kind of load and got very poor results.
My comments do not apply to the Canare L4-6ES

I bought the Schitt Yggdrasil as a comparison standard when doing my mods to see if the LKS 004 can be made to sound as smooth as a R2R DAC
My next target is the T+A DSD8

The main ones are

1)
Replacing the stock CCHD575 with a higher performing unit like the Abracon OCXO @Whitigir used, alternative is the CCHD-950X. @MartinWT added a very nice clock board as the XO.
There are quite a few options.
Main effect is to get rid of the ear splitting HF performance of the CCHD575, I have seen this behavior on 2 other ESS DACS the LKS003 and Yulong DA8

2)
RF absorber sheets on the digital transceiver interfaces for I2S and USB, this soaks up a lot of the RF junk and considerably smooths out the midrange.
Crucial if you are using the Singxer SU-1, it shuts a lot of the noise coming from that unit, also add absorbers on the SU-1 this dials down the glare by quite a margin

3)
Move the onboard DSP processing out of the way by using only high rate DSD, do the PCM --> DSD conversion externally if you have PCM, this avoids the internal PCM --> DSD conversion
Roon or HQPlayer are the ones for the job.

Jul 10, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #2,186 of 4,419

You can side-step much of the XLR cable drama by using a balanced preamp to buffer the XLR output.
I use the preamp outputs either of my Schitt Mjolnir or Gustard H20. Both units put out in excess of 2W so there is plenty of drive capability.

Both these preamps contribute very little in terms of coloration, the upside is that there is now a buffered volume control, and you can use the 004's fixed output, this is substantially better than the variable output which can compress the dynamics of the music to an unacceptable degree.

There is the reference schematic for the 9018's I/V and passive XLR analog stage in the LKS003 thread in the computer section that I posted a few years ago.
LKS just replaced the opamps with discrete versions on the 004.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #2,187 of 4,419
b0bb, many thanks for your thoughts. I need to figure out how to get roon to push DSD above DSD64; with the new Amanero firmware I don't see why my SOtM sms-200ultra (linux-based) shouldn't be able to transmit up to DSD512. Unfortunately, roon doesn't give me any options above DSD64.

I'm going to pick up the Abracon OCXO, I think, and find someone to install it for me. I'm in the Washington, DC area, so it seems like I should be able to find someone to do this easily. I recall your post with the photos of the RF absorber sheets near the power supplies. I'll order those from Mouser as well.

Thanks again!

Jul 10, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #2,188 of 4,419
b0bb, many thanks for your thoughts. I need to figure out how to get roon to push DSD above DSD64; with the new Amanero firmware I don't see why my SOtM sms-200ultra (linux-based) shouldn't be able to transmit up to DSD512. Unfortunately, roon doesn't give me any options above DSD64.

I'm going to pick up the Abracon OCXO, I think, and find someone to install it for me. I'm in the Washington, DC area, so it seems like I should be able to find someone to do this easily. I recall your post with the photos of the RF absorber sheets near the power supplies. I'll order those from Mouser as well.

Thanks again!

You have to tell the RoonReady RAAT component in Eunhasu to use DSD512 and native mode. RAAT will then report back to the Roon server and DSD512 will show up.
I use the SMS-200 Ultra Neo with the Amanero.

If you have the Gen2 unit, also ask your installer about low noise power supplies for the OCXO.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #2,189 of 4,419
Hmm. Is the problem just with 9038 or all delta sigma dacs. Is it an option to convert all audio files to dsd offline. I am thinking using polysinc-xtr filters will put quite a strain on the CPU/GPU which potentially means more power consumption and may be generate more noise.

It is an issue of limited resources on chip, this limits how many taps a filter can have for example.
The compromise ESS made on the 9038's filters meant bass performance hit compared to competing designs.
Using HQP means there is no such restriction, and the deep thundering bass was one of the first things I noticed with HQP

My implementation is hqplayerd + NAA.
hqlayerd lives on my central server behind a fiber optic network. It is on a separate electrical circuit in another part of the house.
NAA has a fiber drop from the main network backbbone. NAA talks to the DAC.
The fiber provides the necessary isolation.

Power consumption and temps is not excessive.

Total consumption is about 105W as measured by power meter at the power socket with the setup running, about that of an incandescent lightbulb

The GPUs is consuming about 60W on average from the nvidia-smi trace.
Peak GPU load (%sm) is about 65%.
GPU is a Nvidia Titan V.

Below is the configuration.

roon.pngcuda.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back