L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Jul 22, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #2,237 of 4,419
These passive components added something? I don't think so.
Cables are complex transmission lines. They can add nonlinear distortions.

Jul 22, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #2,238 of 4,419
It sounds so real that it scares me.
After listening to tons of music I then tryed diferent settings. But 192KHz and sinc-m is the only setting that gives this effect.
I hope someone can explane what is happening here.

HQPlayer is the gold standard for upsampling, it just sounds better than the others, and I am still running HQP 3.xx, I have not upgraded to 4.xx. For perhaps a year I used Poly-Sinc-XTR-mp-2s as my main filter it was so organic so real. Then this year I started playing with others. I liked Poly-Sinc-ext2, then I went to Closed-Form-16M and enjoyed that for a while then I tried sinc-M, OMG now we are talking it was XTR-MP-2s but more organic and full, more transparent more dynamic. I fell hard for it. Sinc-M is a linear Phase filter, with a very sharp cutoff and high degree of attenuation. It also has 1 million taps and requires a very powerful CPU and a GPU for cuda offload at least at DSD512. Now I ask why are you only running up to 192K PCM, it is DSD512 where the magic happens try that and you will never go back.

Really with this dac the goal should be DSD512, it sounds so much better, why mess with the other stuff. (BTW, my CPU and GPU cannot do the non-2s XTR-MP filters they are to intensive for my rig so I have not heard what some say are the best sounding of all.)

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #2,239 of 4,419
HQPlayer is the gold standard for upsampling, it just sounds better than the others, and I am still running HQP 3.xx, I have not upgraded to 4.xx. For perhaps a year I used Poly-Sinc-XTR-mp-2s as my main filter it was so organic so real. Then this year I started playing with others. I liked Poly-Sinc-ext2, then I went to Closed-Form-16M and enjoyed that for a while then I tried sinc-M, OMG now we are talking it was XTR-MP-2s but more organic and full, more transparent more dynamic. I fell hard for it. Sinc-M is a linear Phase filter, with a very sharp cutoff and high degree of attenuation. It also has 1 million taps and requires a very powerful CPU and a GPU for cuda offload at least at DSD512. Now I ask why are you only running up to 192K PCM, it is DSD512 where the magic happens try that and you will never go back.

Really with this dac the goal should be DSD512, it sounds so much better, why mess with the other stuff. (BTW, my CPU and GPU cannot do the non-2s XTR-MP filters they are to intensive for my rig so I have not heard what some say are the best sounding of all.)
I tried different filters and also higher frequencys, but only 192KHz and sinc-m had the magic with my lks 004.
Hopefully I can try DSD upsampling next weekend.

Jul 23, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #2,241 of 4,419
Yes. HQP+192K+sinc-M --> LKS004 is spacious.. instruments (like trumpets) more pronounce.. vocal image well defined.
BUT minus bass (b0bb also points this out earlier), bass cello disappeared in Vivaldi's summer concerto !!

Jul 24, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #2,242 of 4,419
Interesting to read some comments here about bass from the LKS. Mine produces extraordinary, potent and very extended bass down into infra-bass air movements. It's the best DAC I've ever heard for bass.

I had a Topping D70 on my system a couple of weeks ago. Not bad, verging on good in the midrange, but the bass was lightweight in comparison and the dynamics a little bit restrained.

Jul 24, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #2,243 of 4,419
Interesting to read some comments here about bass from the LKS. Mine produces extraordinary, potent and very extended bass down into infra-bass air movements. It's the best DAC I've ever heard for bass.

I had a Topping D70 on my system a couple of weeks ago. Not bad, verging on good in the midrange, but the bass was lightweight in comparison and the dynamics a little bit restrained.
What other dacs have you compared the lks to. D70 is less than half the price of the lks004. I know price is not everything. But on the other hand, there is also a saying that you get what you pay for.

Jul 24, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #2,244 of 4,419
The Topping is significant as it uses dual AKM DACs, which some people prefer to the ESS Sabres. To my ears, they are softer without the extreme dynamic edges of the 9038s.

I have heard a variety of DACs in my system, brought over by friends. Not all are memorable but a Chord Hugo and Novafidelity X45 all-in-one stand out for sound quality. Nothing has yet matched the LKS, so I guess I chose right.

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #2,246 of 4,419

The hardware LKS has bass.
DSP with HQP (192K+sinc-M) somehow de-emphasizes the lower end.
DSP with foobar (176K) is more balanced to my ears, but lacks the nicer quality of HQP.

Jul 24, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #2,247 of 4,419
I use Qobuz Studio and the bass is excellent in everything from 16/44 Red Book up to 24/192 streams, recording dependent of course.

Jul 24, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #2,248 of 4,419
Yes. HQP+192K+sinc-M --> LKS004 is spacious.. instruments (like trumpets) more pronounce.. vocal image well defined.
BUT minus bass (b0bb also points this out earlier), bass cello disappeared in Vivaldi's summer concerto !!
That was also my first impression, but then I listened more closely.
The Bass is only more pressies, less boomy. More transparent .

Jul 24, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #2,249 of 4,419
Today I had the chance to listen to an Accuphase dp 560 and a Chord Hugo in my system.
The LKS 004 clearly outperformed the Accuphase.
The Hugo was a little bit more transparent in soundstage and depths comperd to the LKS when fed with Foobar.
When fed with HQPLAYER 192KHz sinc-m, the LKS sounded way better.

Jul 25, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #2,250 of 4,419
I read the first 21 pages and didn't see one thing mentioned that especially interests me - tone. On the cool to warm continuum, where would you place the LKS 004? I realize this is a headphones forum, but am especially interested in the answer using speakers. Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back