Kumitate (くみたて) Lab: A Triumph and Celebration of DIY - Impressions Thread
Jun 29, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #32 of 376
Mixing acrylic with some highlights to get that classic lacquered look...

Or just cut out the gold leaves off of something like this sheet and inlay it (less of a focus on that lacquered look and more on the maki-e design itself)

Jun 29, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #34 of 376
Although he does not have options outside of Japan on his order form, to my knowledge he has been more than willing to do international orders for quite some time, just PM or email him (it's a less formal process). I did so around September of last year. Metalboy from Sweden got his a while ago. Tomscy2000 has a pair of RedGiants sent to him out for reshell but I don't know if he has them yet. I should have some in my hands as soon as Canada Post comes back from the weekend break.

Jun 29, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #36 of 376
Pictures from the e-earphone Portable Show yesterday :-

I tested their universal demo too that @TwinQY mentioned a few days ago. However I've listened to so many earphones I have to admit my memory has gotten so blurry. I intend to meet up with Ito-san to demo his offerings in a more less pressured and rushed environment as it was in the show. Although I can't remember the specifics of each earphone, I can say that remember walking away impressed with what they're offering for the price.

They also are open to international orders however he's concerned about his English ability (which to me was of no concern at all, I think his English level is great).

Jun 29, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #37 of 376
I find that he's fairly adept at communicating via English, however he might show trouble understanding unless you are clear, direct, and succinct. If one is ordering one of his original designs the process should be fairly straightforward (turn-around is almost always two months). If you are ordering something a bit more complex you might encounter some problems with language due to the nature of the questions that would be asked in those circumstances. 

While Tom doesn't have the drivers being used in Mr. K's works listed in his BA spreadsheet, 84audio's spreadsheet does. I assume this is because Mr. K and 84 are pretty chummy so he was simply told which ones uses which (although he doesn't seem too certain in some of the cases) but then again I'm just guessing.

Jun 29, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #38 of 376
Are some drivers better quality than others?  Which ones?  For example, how does the drivers in the TF10 compare to UERM drivers?  Is the quality different?  Do CIEM makes use better quality drivers for their flagships?

Jun 29, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #39 of 376
  Are some drivers better quality than others?  Which ones?  For example, how does the drivers in the TF10 compare to UERM drivers?  Is the quality different?  Do CIEM makes use better quality drivers for their flagships?

I believe Tom has a spreadsheet on which drivers are used in which universals/customs. For the most part, they all seem to use the same drivers from Knowles/Sonion etc. The UERM uses purpose built drivers doesn't it? In any case, it'd seem that purpose built BAs are fairly rare. I think FAD and Sony are two of the only companies off the top of my head that utilize proprietary stuff, which is why I tend to get a bit excited by their announcements moreso than others

Other than that, I absolutely love the finishes on those plates. Which is odd, since I tend to think those pearlescent/abalone style finishes look super tacky on stuff like Schecter/Carvin guitars 

Jun 29, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #40 of 376
  Other than that, I absolutely love the finishes on those plates. Which is odd, since I tend to think those pearlescent/abalone style finishes look super tacky on stuff like Schecter/Carvin guitars 

I agree as I'm seeing is different from the traditional use of it.  It looks to have a better finish than just tacking a pearl plate on it.  It look like the design is cut and a colored translucent material is applied on top of it.  So, the craftsmanship of the plate looks better done than a simple pearl plate.  When I saw Metalboy's CIEMs, the design was what stood out for me.

Jun 29, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #41 of 376
Purpose-specced drivers, that is pre-existing designs that are specced to how the maker requires them, are common for the companies that can afford to order enough of them. Westone, UE, JH, Noble, etc, etc. If you are a smaller outfit, you design around the drivers, but if you are a larger outfit, you can sort of get around that in some cases. Although there is only so much you can get out of having them specced to your needs. A proprietary TWFK will never be a CI no matter how you look at it.

There seems to be a couple of BA manufacturers other than Knowles and Sonion. As you mentioned, Sony does their own, FAD has ties with Molex so some of their things use that. There are other outfits in China that manufacture like DTS but as you can read in the BA100 thread, their QC is probably not up to snuff to the big boys. Heck I have some Star Micronics from a couple of pairs of ER6i. But Knowles/Sonion are probably the best bet for consistency, plus they have a ton of choice across the board. Sonion's product list is a very tedious and mind-wrapping read.

The Home-Made IEM thread is extremely informative on all of these matters and I highly recommend making an offline copy for some late-night reading. Nothing like snuggling in bed with your beloved cat and a cup of coffee, reading about drivers. Unless you have a life of course.

Jun 29, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #43 of 376

what are the available models for order? from the website i saw a 3,4,6drivers but don't see the hybrid that the other forumer ordered, so is there other models that are not listed on the website?

As mentioned above by @TwinQY :-

Although he does not have options outside of Japan on his order form, to my knowledge he has been more than willing to do international orders for quite some time, just PM or email him (it's a less formal process). I did so around September of last year. Metalboy from Sweden got his a while ago. Tomscy2000 has a pair of RedGiants sent to him out for reshell but I don't know if he has them yet. I should have some in my hands as soon as Canada Post comes back from the weekend break.

You can find his PM here.

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #44 of 376
Subscribed, because I really am behind this trend of 'universal fit customs'... Great looking stuff. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back