Krk 6400's or ATH-M50's
Aug 29, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #16 of 39
So do I just give up hope on the kicker clones by monoprice? I like the detachable auxillary chord and the price.... people are saying that their sound signature is very similiar to the m50.... I found this one thread about it...

Aug 29, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #18 of 39

Quote:
So do I just give up hope on the kicker clones by monoprice? I like the detachable auxillary chord and the price.... people are saying that their sound signature is very similiar to the m50.... I found this one thread about it...

I have the M50, HP541 and Monoprice Hifi DJ Pro. The M50 is more analytical with recessed mids. The HP541/Monoprice (same, same same headphone) has more forward mids, a roll off in the highs (thus smooth) and good tight bass that has impact and presence. I can say with honest that the HP541/Monoprice are a more musical/easy going and easy to listen to headphone and sound great for a significantly reduced price. Detachable cords. Also, you can get decals for them to change the outside of the cup with vinyl decals that are not permanent to spruce them up if you want some style. Stupid hard to beat for freaking $20.

The M50 has the edge in pads and construction. But it depends if you think the price increase is worth that. The HP541/Monoprice are quite sturdy, but they're all plastic, and the pads are not as generous as the M50's. That said, you can replace the pads. And still have saved a significant amount of cash if budget matters. If budget does not matter, then simply go high-end now and save yourself the grief of climbing to it eventually and spending more along the way.

Very best,

Aug 29, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #19 of 39

Quote:
Btw tdockweiler, aren't you super against the headphones you recommended for me? I read your posts on other threads.

If you're talking about the M50, then no. I'm willing to admit it's a good headphone (I gave it an 8/10 overall) but it was not a good match for my sound preferences. I preferred the SRH-840 over it and then eventually found the DJ100 which is my current favorite.

My M50 had sort of bloated bass and recessed mids (slightly). Other than that I liked it. I love my forward sounding mids.

From what I've read, the new white box M50 should sound better than the other pair I had. Supposedly they have more treble and better mids, but I'm not sure.

Aug 29, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #20 of 39
Get both the KRK and Monoprice; combined it's less than a new ATH-M50. Experience with different phones is worth its weight in gold, because you get to find what suits you best.

Quote:

Aug 29, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #21 of 39
Where can I get these decals? Are they sold in a certain place, or do I make them myself? I think I'll just buy the monoprice's for now, then later, when I get some more dough, I can get some higher end phones.

Aug 29, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #22 of 39
Btw, I was talking about the monoprice Kicker clones.

Quote:
If you're talking about the M50, then no. I'm willing to admit it's a good headphone (I gave it an 8/10 overall) but it was not a good match for my sound preferences. I preferred the SRH-840 over it and then eventually found the DJ100 which is my current favorite.

My M50 had sort of bloated bass and recessed mids (slightly). Other than that I liked it. I love my forward sounding mids.

From what I've read, the new white box M50 should sound better than the other pair I had. Supposedly they have more treble and better mids, but I'm not sure.

Aug 29, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #23 of 39

Quote:
Where can I get these decals? Are they sold in a certain place, or do I make them myself? I think I'll just buy the monoprice's for now, then later, when I get some more dough, I can get some higher end phones.

Heya,

I got them on amazon. Just search HP541 decal and you'll see like 3 pages of them. And the decals work on the monoprice DJ version too.

Very best,

Aug 29, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #24 of 39

Quote:
Btw, I was talking about the monoprice Kicker clones.

Oh, I wouldn't have suggested those. It must have been someone else. My first pair didn't sound good, but it could have been a defect. My second pair is on the way and will be here tomorrow.

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #27 of 39
I've tried both of them

IMO
KRK-8400 & 6400
AMP is a must
BAD isolation
LARGE and OPEN soundstage
WITHOUT punchy bass
CHEAP build
FLAT
BEST for monitoring
NOT fun
LIGHT and COMFY

ATH-M50:
NO NEED amp
GOOD isolation
MID and CLOSED soundstage
PUNCHY enough bass
GOOD build
COLURFUL
BEST for music listening
FUN indeed
HEAVIER but COMFY

I vote for m50

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #28 of 39
I think "fun" is highly subjective. For me it's not fun when the extreme ends of the audio spectrum mask what is most important... I disliked the M50 very much for the few songs I tried them. "Punchy" for me meant too much, instead of enough... But, to each his own. (I hate me for saying that relativistic peace sign) 
tongue.gif

But anyway, what do you think the KRK's gain from an amp? Don't go saying "bass impact". That's just coloration, ergo not a must :)
I haven't heard them, that's why I ask. 

Aug 31, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #29 of 39
Coloration is something that's to each their own.  There was a big topic about people's preferences in coloration vs neutral responses, and it was a pretty evenly split poll.  Bass impact has always been a 'quality' term-- not quantitive term on head-fi it seems.  It's very possible to have impact without having raw quantity as well (one example is M50 vs D2000.  M50 has a bit more quantitive bass, while D2000 has more impactful bass)

Aug 31, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #30 of 39
.. Yet they both have trouble distinguishing notes and thus are not musically accurate, no matter how fun to some... Of course it's all subjective and depends on what people listen, but those two are complete showstoppers for me :) 

The best bass-impact without losing too much accuracy must be the LCD-2, though I'd still take the HD800 over it any time. Any other "bass-neutral" cans that have good impact? I ask so that you could prove your point on the two factors not having any correlation...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back