Krk 6400's or ATH-M50's
Aug 31, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #31 of 39
Trouble distinguishing notes is usually moreso a factor of the headphone's instrument separation than its frequency graphI say-- unless the bass is bloated to the extent that it covers up a good chunk of the mids-- which for some reason you think is very easy to do.  I personally have just an easy time distinguishing detail in a song coming out of a Denon vs a Beyer, but the difference is that the Beyer gives more crispness and separation-- either way they're both colored.

You gotta tell me a specific example in which a bass neutral headphone has problems revealing a note compared to something bass light (I already know your history with loving bass light headphones and have no problem displaying it :D)

This is all completely ignoring the point that having impact can be regarded as accuracy as well.  I'd put some money into the thought that a lot of electronic mastering is intended with visceral bass in mind, as well as someone mastering for rock music wanting the kick drum to give visceral qualities to the song.

Right now I can't really give any other examples on a headphone with less bass quantity surpassing another headphone with more quantity in the impact department, because I don't own every can on the market.  There is a correlation between the two, but it's definitely not a completely parallel relation.

Aug 31, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #32 of 39
Heh, yes you have a point. I have to clarify that when I speak of accuracy, I mean distinguishing pitch variations, to the max! 
tongue_smile.gif
 ... I'll happily give away some sense of realism for that. You might be right that it's also a matter of instrument separation (fast transients?), since Grado's for instance are in no way the worst in this area (distinguishing notes)

Just posted in another thread, how I find speaking of accuracy or reality in a headphone difficult and I've given up on that.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/533716/shure-srh-940/1095#post_7720833

Sorry for being lazy :)

Regarding your second paragraph. Bass neutral is a difficult matter... LCD-2 is good on paper, so is something like the HD800. Both are heaps better than a T1, for instance. My K272's, yes are very bass-light to some. I think they're fabulous and quite neutral.
Here they are: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK272HD.pdf 
Real drop off starts only after 40-30Hz, and with the music I listen to, VERY little musical information can be found lower than that. Unless we speak of modern music... As you said about the mastering with today's music: VISCERAL BASS! :)
... I'm not really into that :frowning2: This isn't so with a lot of cool stuff from the 60's and 70's. 

Shall we specify what counts for bass-light? I think a headphone shouldn't have a bass-boost exceeding 5dB or so. If that's used to give more extension, I don't approve! But let's say anyway, that my K272's are much better at distinguishing pitch variations than the T1, for instance, which I think were rather disappointing...

Aug 31, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #33 of 39
Yes, I would agree with you on the difficulty of real fidelity in a headphone when it comes to audio-- their two main disadvantages in my book being bass impact and soundstaging.  With a full-fledged speaker system you don't have to have immense amount of bass to get real good impact.  It's why I refuse to spend more than 500 dollars on a headphone 
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #34 of 39
Heh, same in speakers for me. I didn't get the Linn Akurate 212's for impact, to be honest 
regular_smile .gif

Oct 28, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #35 of 39
What I like about the 6400 is its flatness. You actually hear how your music was produced. I have my 6400 for 2 months now, and I'm really satisfied with the sound. It doesn't have that eye candy appeal but I really go for the sound quality. This may seem overkill but I connected my 6400 in series with FiiO E5 and E11 ( Player --> E5 --> E11 --> 6400 ). The midst are so clear and crisp, and the sound stage and bass are breathtaking.

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #36 of 39

Quote:
I've tried both of them

IMO
KRK-8400 & 6400
AMP is a must
BAD isolation
LARGE and OPEN soundstage
WITHOUT punchy bass
CHEAP build
FLAT
BEST for monitoring
NOT fun
LIGHT and COMFY

ATH-M50:
NO NEED amp
GOOD isolation
MID and CLOSED soundstage
PUNCHY enough bass
GOOD build
COLURFUL
BEST for music listening
FUN indeed
HEAVIER but COMFY

I vote for m50

if im producing then i need monitoring right? then i should get KRK?

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #38 of 39

Quote:
i am also trying to pick between the two for producing EDM. if krk has no bass..? how are you supposed to produce and monitor music where bass is important

Who says the KRK has no bass? Don't think anyone has. The KRK probably has better bass (NOT quantity) than the M50, but it's just not bloated and excessive. It has very good extension and it's not rolled off.
I was actually kind of surprised about this. If you want a little more pronounced mid-bass (compared to the 8400) you can try the 6400 (or the M50).
Why not just get both and sell the loser?

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #39 of 39

Quote:
Who says the KRK has no bass? Don't think anyone has. The KRK probably has better bass (NOT quantity) than the M50, but it's just not bloated and excessive. It has very good extension and it's not rolled off.
I was actually kind of surprised about this. If you want a little more pronounced mid-bass (compared to the 8400) you can try the 6400 (or the M50).
Why not just get both and sell the loser?

im actually thinking of the Sennheiser HD25s now over both of those!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back