Krk 6400's or ATH-M50's
Aug 28, 2011 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

vvackdavid

New Head-Fier
I was originally torn between the M50's and the V6's, however, another head-fi'er recommended the 6400's, and now that I've read the few reviews that are out there, I'm torn between the two. So...can you guys please help me decide? Or recommend a pair that bests the two in the same (100ish) price range? I listen to a wide variety, from pop, to punk, to classical. Any help is much appreciated and thank you all in advance!

Aug 29, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 39
8400's
because pads are glory

Aug 29, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 39

Quote:
Anyone hear about the Vmoda Crossfades? whadyu guys think compared to these two??

horrible

but if your 12 and care about what you think people think of you, go ahead and get them

M50's would be best as a starter

6400/8400 would be better for studio/stage use. But good for home use also

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #6 of 39

Quote:
Only reason I brought up the V-modas was because I can get them for like 75 atm... I'm looking mostly for the best bang for my buck

Best bang?

T50RP

But they need a amp like a fish our of water

Otherwise, check out a Superlux HD681

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #8 of 39
I'm not too sure, but even though the bass for the M50s are flawless, I heard a lot of people saying that their mids are seriously recessed so you might wanna know that first. You might already know that, just telling you.

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #9 of 39

Quote:
The HD681's are WAY cheaper than expected. I don't think I can fork up the cash for an amp atm... so would you say the 681's are on-parish with the M50's?

the HD681 doesn't need a amp

Oh, OP, check out the monoprice cans that's been reviewed on the forum. You might as well get them for $25 and the same thing with a Kicker name at $55 is a steal.

Aug 29, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #11 of 39

Quote:
I'm not too sure, but even though the bass for the M50s are flawless, I heard a lot of people saying that their mids are seriously recessed so you might wanna know that first. You might already know that, just telling you.

Bass on the M50 flawless? Hey, don't be silly now 
tongue.gif

Aug 29, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #12 of 39
If you want a lot of extra bass and treble and are willing to give up some mids, get the M50.
If you want better (and more forward) mids, less bass impact and a smoother sound signature with better portability and better comfort, get the KRK.
The KRK isn't for everyone though, but it's signature is hard now to like. It's very clear sounding for the price and has a lot of detail.

Call me crazy, but I actually think the M50 would be harder to like..seriously..

Aug 29, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #13 of 39

Quote:
If you want a lot of extra bass and treble and are willing to give up some mids, get the M50.
If you want better (and more forward) mids, less bass impact and a smoother sound signature with better portability and better comfort, get the KRK.
The KRK isn't for everyone though, but it's signature is hard now to like. It's very clear sounding for the price and has a lot of detail.

Call me crazy, but I actually think the M50 would be harder to like..seriously..

When you ask people (especially people who just started delving into the rabbit hole known as audiophilia) whether they would take bass+treble heavy cans, or mids heavy cans, not many people would take the mids one. Why get the cans without visceral bass impact and sparkly detailed highs? is what goes through their minds.

Of course for most of those who have listened to decent cans for a while, the realization would change (that treble needs to be just clear enough without sounding too scratchy / mechanical, mids should be as high as possible without looming over other frequencies, bass should be at a point where impact balances with texture, etc).

Aug 29, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #14 of 39

Quote:

Oh you're not crazy at all... Everyone else is :)

People are given bass and bass they shall have!

Aug 29, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Dead on.

I say get the KRK KNS6400 if you don't mind losing some bass to gain a lot of clarity, or, get the Superlux for a midrange "overall performer". Classical and pop will blow your mind on the KRK though, with maybe a bit of a bass boost on your player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back