Kramer-mod... KSC75...
Mar 28, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #451 of 542
Quote:

I searched thesource.ca for "replacement pads" and could only find these and these. Are either of those the ones that you are referring to? Neither of them are 7.50 a pair, so I doubt it.

No for unknown reasons they are not listed online. I was just at the source last weekend and they had them on the rack next to the earbud pads.

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #452 of 542
Quote:
No for unknown reasons they are not listed online. I was just at the source last weekend and they had them on the rack next to the earbud pads.

Ok, thanks for that info. I might stop by the store and check it out.

May 28, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #454 of 542
Quote:
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I made this on this subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMFGuNa2WEM

Hey trindysmom!

I finally got your mods done! I was sure that I was going to break something, but I somehow I managed to do them without anything - or anyone - getting hurt lol!

All I can say is that I am kind of at a loss for words about how good these things sound now. I have the ksc75s on parts express headband with the driver covers replaced with steel mesh, and they sound ridiculously good. And now the sportapros do as well! They are now a somewhat darker version of the ksc75s with a HUGE beautiful and well controlled bass that simply has no right sounding this good out of a $25 headphone. Unreal.

Thanks for the awesome mods and tutorial!

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #455 of 542
Did this mod, quick and simple!

The hardest part was actually getting the grille off the driver
I used a knife and pushed in and up on the 3 tabs (not the big one). It required a good amount of pressure, was not a gentle push by any mean

Once I was able to get it off it was easy though
Used a dremel and put a hole in the center and everywhere else there was a marked circle on the grille already (I think 4 in the inner ring and 4 in the outer)

I didn't notice a huge difference in sound quality but my ears are pretty untrained and it didn't hurt so if you're at all good with a drill and DIY projects, I say go for it!
Thanks Kramer for coming up with this

Jul 3, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #456 of 542
Did the Kramer mod to my PortaPros just a minute ago, difference is quite astonishing. 

Much better clarity and presence in the mids and trebles, and the bass has tightened up a little bit too - win win!

Looking to replace the pads next, been looking at Senn HD414 pads - anyone here tried them? 
smile.gif

Aug 5, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #457 of 542
Hi peps, great news ! i got a new mod.

@@REASON@@

my motive to create this mod is simple.Like other ksc75 modders,i'm not happy with the stock sound and i believe the titanium driver got  potential awaiting to be discovered. 

My initial impression for these ear-clip was. it has a very natural clean vocal. Although it can't offer the details level of higher ends headphone but it just feels right when i listen to it. here comes the disadvantages, the open back design of it simply make the already bright sounding titanium driver "brighter" ,bass less pronounced and the vocal sound a tad hollow and messy. apart from that,i do feel that it could be better if more details can be heard.

@@ APPROACH @@ 
the mod is created to:
1) make the sound more focused with better instrument separation
2) increase the bass quantity
3) improve the driver's control, making it sound smoother/mature.

the mod is 100% REVERSIBLE and MATERIAL USED R CHEAP N EASY TO GET.
lastly,

DO NOT PERFORM THIS MOD IF U LIKE THE VAST SOUNDSTAGE AND THIN VOCALS.

@@ PROCESS @@

pictures speaks thousand words so i'll use more picture and talk less 
size]

this mod is called hot glue mod. what we gonna do is seal the middle hole to avoid interference / cancelling of sound wave .
this approach was used in alot of studio headphones ie: SONY's CD900st and 7506/ V6 to achieve better clarity n details

All The stuffs u 'll need!! with an addition of hot glue gun =)

Measure the diameter of the center circle that we're going to seal .i measured 1.4cm

Draw the circle on a piece of paper and cut it, i found put that 1.2cm circle is the best to perform the mod.

prepare to cut the 3M micropore tape. this tape is the base for hot glue. you wouldn't want any glue on the driver surface.

using the paper cut out earlier to sketch out the cutting path. this is the most precise way of cutting a circle IMO.
size]

cut out the Micropore paper and stick it on the center like this with the help of a pair of tweezers. trim out any excessive micropore paper with blade. you can try to listen to the headphone after this, if you like the sound you can just stop at this step. the paper make it sound warmer.

HOT GLUE TIME !!  Apply the glue from the side of the tape then to the circle to ensure perfect seal.

Voila!!

Quality Check!!

i did a bad job T~T

Now the back! seal off the holes as above, i sealed a total of three holes. more holes sealed,more control/ calm sound smaller sound stage
size]

PS: too much holes sealed will make them sound congested !!
size]

Completed!!

@@ Ending @@

The hot glue mod is highly customable. playing with the back hole will alter the sound stage size. more hole sealed = smaller soundstage ,more pronouced vocal , the location of holes sealing can adjust the horizontal and frontal width of soundstage
size]
. thanks for reading =))

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #458 of 542
Interesting idea! I bet there are other ways to do this (felt, electrical tape) that would be easier to reverse but I'm curious to see what others think of it

So to summarize this mod increases clarity and bass while decreasing soundstage?

Aug 25, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #459 of 542
These old threads are a goldmine. Picked up a pair or KSC75's for $19.99 CDN at Canada Computers. They sound very meh when I put them on. Drilled some holes in the grill and still sounded meh. Only after quarter modding the earpads did these open up. Details in the mids and highs are extremely clear, better than my DT880's. Looking forward to modding the cable next to see if I can get more quality sound out of these. My only complaint is that one of the drivers make a popping sound when playing bassy music at high volumes. Might have to send it back to KOSS to get a replacement, but others in the thread said the replacements they got had the same problem, so it might be a manufacturing defect.

Here's a quick tip for those wanting to do the headband and quarter mod. I picked up a pair of airline headphones (Air Canada) at a surplus store for $2 and was able to use the foam earpieces for the quarter mod and the headband to house the two drivers. The hole I cut out of the earpads were quite crude so I decided to use the other side which were exactly the same diameter of a quarter, it looks really professional. Beats having to spend a few bucks buying precut hole foam pads from eBay.

The headband holder was not as easy, as the gap between the two plastic pieces holding the driver were wider than the KOSS clips. The drivers would easily pop out when moved around. To fix the problem I went NASCAR and whipped out the duct tape. I cut a piece of duct tape and folded it several times and placed it in the gap to narrow the width of the socket holding the driver. The driver pops in snug and is secure. I can go jogging and don't have to worry about the driver popping out of the headband.

The detail and clearness is exceptionally good. The KOSS formula beats out other headphones that cost several hundreds of dollars.  

Thanks Kramer for this awesome find.

​
 ​

Aug 25, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #460 of 542
Quote:
These old threads are a goldmine. Picked up a pair or KSC75's for $19.99 CDN at Canada Computers. They sound very meh when I put them on. Drilled some holes in the grill and still sounded meh. Only after quarter modding the earpads did these open up. Details in the mids and highs are extremely clear, better than my DT880's. Looking forward to modding the cable next to see if I can get more quality sound out of these. My only complaint is that one of the drivers make a popping sound when playing bassy music at high volumes. Might have to send it back to KOSS to get a replacement, but others in the thread said the replacements they got had the same problem, so it might be a manufacturing defect.

Here's a quick tip for those wanting to do the headband and quarter mod. I picked up a pair of airline headphones (Air Canada) at a surplus store for $2 and was able to use the foam earpieces for the quarter mod and the headband to house the two drivers. The hole I cut out of the earpads were quite crude so I decided to use the other side which were exactly the same diameter of a quarter, it looks really professional. Beats having to spend a few bucks buying precut hole foam pads from eBay.

The headband holder was not as easy, as the gap between the two plastic pieces holding the driver were wider than the KOSS clips. The drivers would easily pop out when moved around. To fix the problem I went NASCAR and whipped out the duct tape. I cut a piece of duct tape and folded it several times and placed it in the gap to narrow the width of the socket holding the driver. The driver pops in snug and is secure. I can go jogging and don't have to worry about the driver popping out of the headband.

The detail and clearness is exceptionally good. The KOSS formula beats out other headphones that cost several hundreds of dollars.  

Thanks Kramer for this awesome find.

I don't think its inability to handle loud bass is a manufacturing defect, its small drivers are just mechanically not capable of handling it. I've replaced / bought KSC75s several times over and all of them "warble" a bit when playing bassy music at very loud volumes.

Aug 25, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #461 of 542
I would agree with you because they are so cheap to purchase. But I also own a pair of Porta Pros before these and have no problems pumping up the volume without the sound quality going all sloppy. The drivers are exactly the same size between the KSC75's and Porta Pros, the grill is interchangeable. When someone earlier in the thread mentioned that the left earpiece rattled at high volumes, it caught my attention and couldn't dismiss it as a coincident. I bought a second pair and the left rattled as well. I'm thinking if I swap out the left earpiece with the right unit of another one, that might solve my problem. I'll give it a try when I look further into modding the cable.

Quote:
I don't think its inability to handle loud bass is a manufacturing defect, its small drivers are just mechanically not capable of handling it. I've replaced / bought KSC75s several times over and all of them "warble" a bit when playing bassy music at very loud volumes.

Aug 25, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #462 of 542
Quote:
I would agree with you because they are so cheap to purchase. But I also own a pair of Porta Pros before these and have no problems pumping up the volume without the sound quality going all sloppy. The drivers are exactly the same size between the KSC75's and Porta Pros, the grill is interchangeable. When someone earlier in the thread mentioned that the left earpiece rattled at high volumes, it caught my attention and couldn't dismiss it as a coincident. I bought a second pair and the left rattled as well. I'm thinking if I swap out the left earpiece with the right unit of another one, that might solve my problem. I'll give it a try when I look further into modding the cable.

Portapro drivers are completely different from Ksc75s. The latter are with titanium-coated diaphragms and have a different voicing. The former have clear non-coated diaphragms and are most likely identical drivers as Ksc35s and SportaPros.

Aug 25, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #463 of 542
Here something to consider. When I max out the volume with bassy music on my Sansa, the KSC75's cries uncle, but that same Sansa player has no problem driving my Porta Pros, PX-100 or Ultrasone Pro 900s. My sound card on my laptop doesn't go as loud as my Sansa but when the volume is maxed out, the sound starts to fall apart on the KSC75's. The most mind numbing thing happens when I amp the KSC75's, the integrity of the sound is maintained at high volumes. I have a feeling that the higher impedance of the KSC75's is what's screwing up the sound. Which is unfortunate because they were originally designed for mobile use.

Quote:
Portapro drivers are completely different from Ksc75s. The latter are with titanium-coated diaphragms and have a different voicing. The former have clear non-coated diaphragms and are most likely identical drivers as Ksc35s and SportaPros.

Aug 25, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #464 of 542
Quote:
Here something to consider. When I max out the volume with bassy music on my Sansa, the KSC75's cries uncle, but that same Sansa player has no problem driving my Porta Pros, PX-100 or Ultrasone Pro 900s. My sound card on my laptop doesn't go as loud as my Sansa but when the volume is maxed out, the sound starts to fall apart on the KSC75's. The most mind numbing thing happens when I amp the KSC75's, the integrity of the sound is maintained at high volumes. I have a feeling that the higher impedance of the KSC75's is what's screwing up the sound. Which is unfortunate because they were originally designed for mobile use.

That still proves my point, that Ksc75's driver bass-handling troubles are innate to its driver construction, which is different from PortaPro drivers which handle loud bass fine.

Aug 25, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #465 of 542
Just ran a quick test on the amp. The left driver was the first to crack when pushed (buzzing). I think these will sound OK when I swap it out with the right driver of another set. 

Quote:
That still proves my point, that Ksc75's driver bass-handling troubles are innate to its driver construction, which is different from PortaPro drivers which handle loud bass fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back