Koss UR-55 Soundstage and Grill MOD
Jan 5, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #31 of 41
also wanted to mention, if you don't want to rip your pads off and stick them back on a bunch of times, you could simply stab through the foam to the screws and get it apart that way. in retrospect i think it would have been better to do this. i also tried to remove the cloth that covers the driver from the pad assembly, which i did successfully, but its not really usable anymore and the pad and the plastic adhesive are now separated and not sticking very well.

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #32 of 41
I found these on Amazon for $20 today and bought a pair. I'm looking forward to trying out some of these mods.

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #33 of 41
These finally showed up and initially these aren't very impressive. What have people noticed about break in time?. I'll probably attempt the mods this weekend. If these modded are even remotely close to the performance of the KSC-75 or KSC-35, then these could be my new work headphones. I understand that the sound signature is supposed to be different with these, but if they aren't annoyingly deficient in the mids/highs, then this could be my new work headphone. I love the KSC75 and '35 but the clip style isn't my favorite and can take a few seconds to get adjusted right. This gets a little annoying at work if I have to remove them a lot.

Also, every other set of headphones I've owned with a headband,  left extra room to make the band larger. Meaning, after I adjusted them to fit properly there was room to spare. Not these. They fit well enough but I have them adjusted all the way out. So anyone with a large head will have issues with these fitting correctly.

Jun 9, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #34 of 41
I modded mine. I removed the fabric under the grill, removed the bass port filter, and added some acoustic fiber inside the cup. The bright headphone has been transformed into a smooth, bassy headphone. It's such a big difference I can't believe it's the same headphone.

Jun 26, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #35 of 41
These just came in for me and just got done doing the mod. I did a side by side comparison with the KSC75. The sound signature are much better on these! The bass feels very controlled and needed. Where the KSC75 has very little deep bass. Also the soundstage on these are MILES better than the KSC75. My new fav and now all around headphones.

Oct 26, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #36 of 41
Had a set of these before and was a tad underwhelmed. I also had Tascam TH-02, Sennheiser HD429 and Koss KSC-75's too so they had some competition.

My go to pair now are the Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80) but I have come across the UR55 for 11.99 locally new and am considering them as a more portable option for myself and my son.

Wish someone would do a mod video on these!

I've never done any headphone modding and even at $12 wouldn't enjoy ruining a pair.

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #37 of 41
I was wondering if the fabric under the grill is like the fabric directly over the housing, surrounded by the ear pads. If this is the case then could this fabric be removed instead of the fabric in the OP mod, under the grill, making them interchangeable, and acheiving the same sound?

Aug 22, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #38 of 41
Just got these on sale, the bass is rather boomy, very much so for my tastes but probably because I need to burn them in. If someone could PLEASE make a mod video of this I'd really appreciate it! This is my first ever mod so I'm really excited and nervous at the same time.

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #39 of 41
I did the mod just that as he had torn the fiber had to replace the pads for a couple of phone Razer Kraken . I loved the soundstage and love playing TACTICAL games like Rainbow Six : Siege. It gave me quite an advantage for a handset that tava forgotten. I have a Sennheiser HD 25-1 II that has absolutely nothing soundstage . I loved the modification.

I have some pictures but i can't insert here =/

Sep 30, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #40 of 41
Just got mine. I'm having some serious problems, unfortunately. If anyone could help me out on my thread, it would be appreciated! (I don't want to modify it yet.)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/821763/koss-ur55-unbearably-bright-and-harsh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back