etc

Dj100
Dj100
Dj100

Dj100
Dj100
Dj100

Why?

1. Akg99 is a sad headphone. It's plain sad.

2. The Dj100 needs a FiiO E5 and either M50 pads or MDR-V6 pads for best comfort and sound.

3. A little modding to the Dj100 makes it better

Sep 3, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
So I guess I made the right choice :D but.... i still don't have an amp....is it really, really necesary or it just make 'em sound even better?

They need a little more power to them. Just a bit

You can buy everything is stages later.
1. Get Dj100
2. Apply mods. Search forums, they're 5 of them.
3. Buy new pads.
4. Buy FiiO E5

There might be a problem (might) where when you turn them up, the sound crackles. That's shows that they aren't amped enough. That's your source's fault and you'd need a FiiO E5 then. Otherwise, you can hold off if you don't notice a constant distortion from any song. Pads are better to increase sound and comfort. Not needed right now, but if you can power them well at the moment, it's a worthy upgrade. The mods aren't needed, but nice to do. Won't flip everything upside down, but will give a little change to the sound.

Check back on this thread when King DJ100 is online and he'll eventually find this and start to rein over it.

Edit: let them burn in 100+ hours also. Just leave them playing music at a good volume for a couple nights before dictating the sound to yourself.

Sep 3, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #6 of 8
DJ100? Never heard of it.

Ok, seriously...

I was just listening to it tonight for about 2 hours unamped using a tiny Iaudio 7. I NEVER do this. It actually wasn't too bad, but a small amp really helps improve the bass and basically everything.
I don't think any mods are required at all to make it sound good. Koss got most everything right when it comes to the sound. It's well balanced, but leans towards having a fun signature.
It's focus is on the mids, then the bass and then the treble. I kind of view it as a thinner sounding HD-598 that's much more aggressive with it's sound. Maybe I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.
I'd say it's balanced somewhat, but nowhere near like a studio monitor, but it does have a clear sound with a decent amount of detail. I actually find it much less forgiving and more detailed than the HD-598! Yes, really!
I do think the stock pads are not very good, so you can get the M50 pads for them to improve the soundstage, treble and bass. With stock pads the comfort isn't that great. Even MDR-V6 pads will improve them.

I don't think the K99 could be that bad. I owned the K44 and I imagine that MIGHT be similar. If so, I had to EQ down it's terrible bass.
K44 with an EQ is actually quite good, but I paid only $30 and it's comfortable.

BTW for burn-in on the DJ100, you will only need 3-5 days. If it sounds great out of the box just skip it. If it's not clear and has mids that are not forward, you need to burn it in some. SOME DJ100s sound HORRIBLE out of the box until after burn-in. Wish I was kidding.

Another nice alternative to the DJ100 is the KRK KNS-6400. They have some similarities but the KRK has much less bass impact for sure. The 6400 almost comes close to dethroning my DJ100 as budget king, but not quite!

Sep 3, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
DJ100? Never heard of it.

Ok, seriously...

I was just listening to it tonight for about 2 hours unamped using a tiny Iaudio 7. I NEVER do this. It actually wasn't too bad, but a small amp really helps improve the bass and basically everything.
I don't think any mods are required at all to make it sound good. Koss got most everything right when it comes to the sound. It's well balanced, but leans towards having a fun signature.
It's focus is on the mids, then the bass and then the treble. I kind of view it as a thinner sounding HD-598 that's much more aggressive with it's sound. Maybe I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.
I'd say it's balanced somewhat, but nowhere near like a studio monitor, but it does have a clear sound with a decent amount of detail. I actually find it much less forgiving and more detailed than the HD-598! Yes, really!
I do think the stock pads are not very good, so you can get the M50 pads for them to improve the soundstage, treble and bass. With stock pads the comfort isn't that great. Even MDR-V6 pads will improve them.

I don't think the K99 could be that bad. I owned the K44 and I imagine that MIGHT be similar. If so, I had to EQ down it's terrible bass.
K44 with an EQ is actually quite good, but I paid only $30 and it's comfortable.

BTW for burn-in on the DJ100, you will only need 3-5 days. If it sounds great out of the box just skip it. If it's not clear and has mids that are not forward, you need to burn it in some. SOME DJ100s sound HORRIBLE out of the box until after burn-in. Wish I was kidding.

Another nice alternative to the DJ100 is the KRK KNS-6400. They have some similarities but the KRK has much less bass impact for sure. The 6400 almost comes close to dethroning my DJ100 as budget king, but not quite!

See, I told you the king of DJ100-land would be here soon

*sniff**sniff*

"What is that I smell?"

*sniff*

"New thread about DJ100?!"

Faster then a speeding bullet to his computer.

*THERE IT IS!"

Post comment.

"My day is done, now back to bed"

Closes his coffin door and sleeps like the dead in wait of his next meal.

Sep 4, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #8 of 8
So is it worth buying new pads? There are V6 available but i think they're bit overpriced (about 22 bucks both)so i'm not sure...Would they affect sound in a good way??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back