Koss Pro DJ 100 (Midrange Monster Mod™)
Sep 3, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #16 of 26
I did more modding today on these. I started over with just super thin blu-tak inside the cup (not the edges). Mids are so forward and there so much extra treble that it's actually ear piercing. I didn't like it. It's very strange how you add blu-tak to the entire inside and it does this, but you remove some and add that foam on the inside it's fixed. Very strange. I also tried to remove all the Blu-tak and only add it to the back of the driver (without covering the hole) and it was just as ear piercing. Since I didn't have any foam I left it as stock for now.

I also notice that below the earpads if you cover up all those fabric covered holes with the pad you get more bass and less treble. The more air inside the pad it seems there is more treble. When I switched from the M50 to M30 pads the treble (and soundstage) was reduced. Interesting...

I did find some memory foam pads that fit the DJ100. OK, they DON'T fit, but I MADE them fit! Too bad almost nobody should bother with this. They're from the Maxel DHP-II and by the time you get them stretched out to fit, you'll probably tear them! Seriously I felt like He-Man trying to get them to fit. Too bad they're not that comfortable, but they're round when on the DJ100.

M50 pads are nice, but if you don't want a lot of extra treble, don't remove the foam backing. The M50 pads add a little bass from stock (and even from M30 pads). It's because of the foam backing. Yes, really! My favorite pads are the M30s when it comes to comfort, but it reduces the treble and soundstage from the M50 pads. M30 pads keep my ears cooler. They're just like the V6 pads but without the foam.

Can't say it enough, but the M50 pads really transform these. I'd suggest not removing the foam until you've tested them long enough with it on. I'm going to buy more M50 pads and test out the differences. It seems that V6 pads with foam backs also add a similar amount of bass.

Sep 4, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #17 of 26
I am subscribed to this thread!

As being a fan of Koss KSC-35 for around 10 years (I have one for daily use and a second for spare) I couldn't find a better alternative for them in the closed-portable headphone category (also including iems) . I really like them that much! My modded and recabled K81DJ's are not up to that sound... And my Vsonic GR-07 falls a little behind the modded KSC-35 (soundwise)...

I have Kramer modded, 75ohm resistor added and recabled them to sound their best. Now none of the portables can reach that sound.

So Koss brand and your mods caught my attention this time.

Did you ever have or heard any modded KSC-35's? If yes, can you please compare their SQ to Pro DJ100?

Where is the cheapest place to purchase them?

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #18 of 26
Well I figure I'll update this thread to mention that adding in some Dynamat offered the best improvement in sound quality. It seemed to improve the sound clarity dramatically without changing the stock signature too much (which is what I want and was my goal!). All it took was a small circle directly behind the driver (not on it!). I also pressed it down VERY hard and made little indentations in it. I did not put any on the "ledges" of the DJ100's cup yet. Add too much dampening material and you'll kill the sound. Dynamat is so thin that it doesn't hurt the sound. It needs to be as thin as possible, so press down VERY hard.

M50 pads, Dynamat and a Mogami recable and these are extremely impressive. Even stock they're very good. I'm going to compare them to my DT-990 Pro tonight just for my own amusement.

One thing I've noticed is that when you add the Dynamat there is a lot more detail. Not sure why the sound clarity and detail improves, but I'll give it a week to pick apart the changes.
It seems like they're a tiny bit more fatiguing when it comes to the treble, but here's the thing...the songs I tested are normally harsh and fatiguing and poorly mastered. Before the cable/Dynamat it seems that the DJ100 was a tiny bit forgiving of extremely harsh and brightly recorded music. Now it just seems like it's more accurate to how it really is and seems to tame the recording less than before. Not that it even really did much, but somewhat.

I actually use a Dynamat alternative that's called "Quick Roof". It's $16 and you get a whole roll. People use it for their cars all the time with the same results. You can get it at Home Depot. Here's what it looks like:

Now I don't want to suggest this yet. I'll give it a few weeks and see how it goes. If it stays on a week or more then I know it's worthwhile. Sounds extremely good right now though, but will still take me a while to really pick apart the differences.

One weird thing about the DJ100 is that the sound clarity would vary a lot between songs (usually because of the recording obviously). Not too badly. Often Female vocals would almost ALWAYS sound crystal clear. It seemed to vary a little less now. Still trying to figure out why the sound clarity shot through the roof. It's strange because there is not really any extra treble or changes in it's signature. Maybe someone can take a guess?

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #19 of 26

Quote:
I actually use a Dynamat alternative that's called "Quick Roof". It's $16 and you get a whole roll. People use it for their cars all the time with the same results. You can get it at Home Depot.

"Ferb, I know what we're gonna do today."

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #20 of 26
I just got the Dj100. I want to kill some of the midbass,any suggestions? Oh  I dont have any type of tone control or equalization in my gear,I want headphone mods only. thanks

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:
I just got the Dj100. I want to kill some of the midbass,any suggestions? Oh  I dont have any type of tone control or equalization in my gear,I want headphone mods only. thanks

Too much mid-bass? The DJ100 isn't known for having too much mid-bass. If it's excessive it could be due to poor synergy or an amp that's overkill for it.
Sometimes if the output impedance of the amp is too high it could add too much bloated mid-bass. I think i've experienced this only once.

Best thing to do is try other amps or sources.

Unfortunately I don't think any mods will help. You could try M50 or other pads, but no mods will help that i've tried.

Jun 1, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #22 of 26
it is the 90hz range that bothers me,if I can get it down 5db i will be happy.  Im really a open phones man but I was  hoping to use these for traveling,cant use open phone in the subway.  tdockweier,which open phones do you like the best(the ones you own)

Jun 1, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:
it is the 90hz range that bothers me,if I can get it down 5db i will be happy.  Im really a open phones man but I was  hoping to use these for traveling,cant use open phone in the subway.  tdockweier,which open phones do you like the best(the ones you own)

Probably the K601 and Q701. My K240 Sextett is slowly making gains though. HD-598 is nice, but I've stopped listening to that as much lately.

If I had to keep only one open headphone it would probably be the K601. It's not as clear or as detailed as the Q701, but it's a little more musical to my ears.
Mids are a little fuller sounding at times.

I also quite like the HD-580 and prefer it to the HD-600. HD-600 puts me to sleep, but most everyone seems to love it. HD-580 has the same driver as the HD-600, but sounds a little different.

Aug 8, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #24 of 26
Hi tdockweiler

I find myself in the fortunate position of having lying around the house, a few car wax application sponges, a length of Dynamat (roofing repair actually) an unopened pack of Blu-tak and a "like new" pair of Koss ProDJ200. Now I'm loving the sound of these phones coming out of my brand new LittleDot+1 amp but if I can make them sound even better with some stuff just laying around... well why the heck not!
Having read this thread I'm thinking that I would get the best results from 1.Sticking a piece of Dynamat behind the drivers - 2. Adding a car wax sponge on top of the Dynamat - 3. Adding a thin layer of Blu-tak around the cup ledges. Is this a sensible conclusion or perhaps a little overkill?

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #25 of 26
This is some awesome work on modding an awesome set of cans tdockweiler!

I bought these for $50 based off your budget king thread and freaking love them! And I also have several other pairs that cost me a lot more.

Currently I run these off an O2 amp while I'm at work.

Nov 10, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #26 of 26
Yeah I think the problem is that very few here still own the DJ100. Or they got a crappy pair (like me a few times) and returned them.
I think a thin layer of blu-tack might be good enough for most. My DJ100 is out on loan, but I got another pair on the way.

Wow, is that obsessive much? I've now owned the DJ100 four times (none of them died). The burn-in variations between pairs make me sick though.
My open-modded pair I use a lot, but I kind of wish I didn't do it considering how much work I had to do it get it to sound right.

With a few experiments I've found you can make the DJ100 bass heavy somewhat but you sacrifice the mids.

The only negative thing about this mod is that it seemed to reduce the soundstage. I don't know if it's still worth it.
If someone does try take EXTREME CARE when doing it. Those internal wires are super thin!

BTW how do you like your DJ100? some pairs seem to need 3-5 days of burn-in to sound great.
My last two pairs needs this amount, but the first didn't need any. Very strange.

I bought some M50 pads for them and will make a report when I can try them.

how are supposed to sound? i've never tried good headphones to at least compare them. Should i do burn-in with pink noise?

i modded them, i oppened two vent holes of the driver with a screw, and (without amp) they sound more bassy but lost a little, little of clarity in mids, also out of the box the bass wasnt impresive, mids were the best and i think it needs more highs.

Not as clear as they described it, FOR ME. Should i burn the **** outta them?

Udate playing with equalizer the mids and highs are good, but i dont know if this is because im using a smartphone without amp.

In the desktop they sound pretty crappy, higher sound but there is A LOT of harmonical distortion.

help me plz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back