Koss Portapro Thread
Apr 13, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #631 of 1,313
Ah, nice. Thanks for all the info on interchangeability and tips! It looks like I have my work cut out for me. Now is the waiting phase where I wait for my headphones to arrive. Can't wait to get started with modding these! 
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #633 of 1,313
  Any foam pads have a little more padding than the regular pads? I love my portapro('s), but after an hour or so the plastic starts cutting through the foam.

Try the Sennheiser PX200 pads. You can buy them at E bay for a good price. They fit perfectly, but are a little bit thicker. For my ears it upgraded the sound quality also. Make a small opening in the middle and the sound quality even gets better!  

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #634 of 1,313
Only problem with PX200 pads is they're pleather which I hate

Apr 20, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #635 of 1,313
Only problem with PX200 pads is they're pleather which I hate

Plus, for me, the PX200 pads totally changed the way the PortaPros sounded.  I was not a fan at all.

My favorite pad for the PortaPro is the Grado S Cushion.  It is HUGE, but it puts in what to me is the perfect distance between my ear and the driver.

They have ones like this type that even come in fun colors:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BW5U3HM/

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #636 of 1,313
Just hunt around for some cheap foam pads. I put a pair of daichi 50mm foam pads on my pair, they were about $3 and are slightly bigger and thicker than the original so comfort is increased and bass is less boomy. The sennheiser hd414 foam pads also work quite well.

May 12, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #640 of 1,313
Anyone know where to get a pair of portapro for cheap? I see the colored versions on eBay for $35 with the braided cable style, but the standard portapro seems to be $40 amazon. Are these on eBay, knockoffs? Also, does the braided cable help with tangling?

May 14, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #641 of 1,313
I find the portapro to sound great and get better comfort with the comfort zone adjustment but find them lacking in sound size and comfort as well. I found the ur-40 with the same drivers to have a much bigger sound and way better comfort and sound stage with the portapro sound signature.

+1, stuck my Portapro drivers in my UR40 headband after the stock UR40 drivers became unusable due to a bad plug, and love the results of that swap.

May 15, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #643 of 1,313
Yep. Actually, when you open up a pair of UR40s, you'll find that its drivers and the Portapro drivers use the exact same shell design. Driver internals are slightly different, but externally, the only difference is the shell color.

Basically, swapping the stock drivers in UR40s for KSC35/Sportapro/Portapro drivers is really easy, take the housing plate off, cut the wire guides down the middle so you can stick them on the Portapro drivers' cable, take the thick foam covering the mesh backs of the earcups out so as to let the drivers breathe a bit, and then put the headphones back together and save the UR40 drivers for future projects, like one I'm considering that involves recabling them and putting a decent 1/8" plug on them so as to have titanium-driver Portapros for portable use.

Also considering recabling the Portapro drivers just to give them a long enough cable to make the UR40s powered by them comfortably usable in a home environment, using a 1/4" plug for them.

May 24, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #644 of 1,313
Hey guys, the parts express headband is $6 plus. Can't find any deal that doesn't include shipping. Amazon, eBay. Any alternatives? Seems like I'm paying too much for shipping a lightweight .99 headphone. Tried to qualify for free shipping on amazon. Yes, i am being super cheap!

May 24, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #645 of 1,313
Hey guys, the parts express headband is $6 plus. Can't find any deal that doesn't include shipping. Amazon, eBay. Any alternatives. Seems like I'm paying too much for shipping a lightweight .99 headphone. Tried to qualify for free shipping on amazon. Yes, in being super cheap!

Any old second hand store. Goodwill Sally Ann etc is bound to have old 70's or 80's wire band headphones. Just about every one of the Koss cheapo's I have ever bought will fit the Porta drivers and a good many of all the other no namers will too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back