Koss Porta Pro or AKG 518 DJ?
Aug 22, 2010 at 9:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

necoicould

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I am using the Koss Porta Pro for over a year, but since a week one of the earphones of the Koss does not work... so I want to buy me a new Portable Headphone... normally I would buy me the koss porta pro again, because i liked them very very much - but I think they could be more "beautiful" ....

so I searched and find the AKG DJ 518 which shall be good too... 

but can somebody tell me whether the AKG DJ 518 are same good (or better) as the Koss? because i dont want to buy something worse than the koss.... 

Or do you have other ideas for an headphone for < 50€ & < 60$ which is better than the Koss Porta Pro?

ciao ciao :)

Aug 22, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #2 of 7
Do you like a lot of bass in your music? The K518 apparently have got a lot of bass, more than the PortaPro. The PortaPro also are much cheaper than the K518.

If I can recommend another headphone, how about AKG K420? They are smaller than the K518, more like the PortaPro, and their sound is not too unlike the PortaPro.

Well, perhaps someone else can comment on the K518. I have not heard them, but I am thinking about buying a pair to my wife who likes a lot of bass in her music.

Aug 22, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #6 of 7
I'm thrilled with my new Porta-Pro's. The lifetime warranty was a huge selling point. 
wink_face.gif

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 7
Hi, I know this is years later, but for anyone still reading up on these cans:

I recently bought a set of akg 518 dj's from Saturn in Germany for 50eu. Have also used porta pro's before. After using the 518's in different situations I'd say they are good value for money. The isolation is really effective (I used them in busy streets, trains, planes and shared hostel rooms). I would liken the isolation to using a set of IEM's that aren't so good at isolating - like the RE0's. It's hard to quantify this, I know, so maybe just try them in-store. But to my ears, very good isolation for headphones of this size/type. The bass is way too intense for me, and much more powerful than the porta pros, considering that the mids are less forward. I turned the bass down on my source and I'm happy (samsung S3, stock player's EQ + sometimes with an Fiio E6). My other cans are the Alessandro MS-1 and RE0 - so this may be the reason why I find the bass so confronting. If you're a bass-head you'll love the 518's. I'm digging the bassiness more and more though, especially when listening to the kind of music that the "dj" designation would be appropriate for (these are, after all, marketed as DJ headphones) - hip-hop, club stuff etc.

I agree with Danneq about the 420's being a better comparison with the portas. Definitely audition those if you can. I would have bought 420's if I wasn't so keen on isolation at the time. (plus, the MS-1's make the 420's a bit redundant in my collection as I don't commute much).

Jauzef - I'd love to know more about the "g-mod" you mentioned. I did some searching on this forum and some googling but can't seem to dig up any reference to 518's and "g-mods". I could really do with an excuse to experiment and mod something :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back