Koss Porta Pro "esque" with isolation?
Jun 12, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #16 of 24
If you like the Porta Pro sound, why not try the Koss Pro DJ 100? It's somewhat similar, but has more forward mids and better bass. The only negative is that it does need a small amp, so there goes that idea..the E5 will do.
If you don't like a ton of treble, the DJ100 would be perfect. I don't think it's horrible without an amp as long as a larger portable player is used.

The UR-50 also sounds similar to the Porta Pro, but doesn't need an amp and is a bit small and uncomfortable for some.
The UR-55 is the semi-open version. Both have different pads. UR-55 uses foam and the 50 uses pleather I believe.

Jun 12, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #17 of 24

Quote:
Thanks man!

The M-Audio Q40 sounded quite interesting, although it's quite big (that's what she said) :p

How is the bass? Is it punchy? I really don't like headphones with a lot of treble. 

You might be in the wrong forum then. Here in the full-sized headphones forum the Q40 is one of the smaller cans. You might have better luck in the Portable HPs/IEMs forum.

Jun 12, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #18 of 24
Oh yea forgot about Koss Pro DJ100... those are good contenders and should be even cheaper but I'm not sure if they got the bass OP is looking for. Then I also saw this review of Q40 comparing to PortaPro and it might not be quite what you're looking for as it seems there's some sibilance according to the reviewer, altough reading other comments by other people there's no hint of sibilance etc but portapro still probably has less emphasized highs though. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/415077/newb-q40-review

If you would go IEM, you'd get quite a lot more options and better isolation too.

Jun 12, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #19 of 24
Well, I'm not to picky about the size of the headphone, but I don't want it to be huge because I want to use it in the city etc.

If it matters, I have a Cowon S9 and I only (well, mainly) listen to flac, therefore I'm really wondering if the Koss DJ1000 will sound good with flac and without a amp. 

Jun 12, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #20 of 24
I should add, not the be picky, but the isolation is quite important, and I don't the music to leak so that everyone in the library or the bus can hear it :p I would really like a warm sounding headphone, not distant and cold.

Therefore perhaps a closed can would be best?

Jun 12, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #21 of 24
Personally, I found the DJ100 fatiguing without an amp. Never tried it with one though. I still stick by the ATH-SJ5 if you don't mind ordering online on Audiocubes. 

Here are some more in-depth comparisons with the K81DJ:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/218198/ath-sj5-vs-k81dj

Jun 12, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #22 of 24

Quote:
Well, I'm not to picky about the size of the headphone, but I don't want it to be huge because I want to use it in the city etc.

If it matters, I have a Cowon S9 and I only (well, mainly) listen to flac, therefore I'm really wondering if the Koss DJ1000 will sound good with flac and without a amp. 

Quote:
I should add, not the be picky, but the isolation is quite important, and I don't the music to leak so that everyone in the library or the bus can hear it :p I would really like a warm sounding headphone, not distant and cold.

Therefore perhaps a closed can would be best?

Oh almost forgot another one that might be great for what you are looking for: AIAIAI TM1.

It's a supraaural hp about the same size as the Senn HD25 II, much smaller than circumaural cans like M50 / Q40. Also apparently it has very tamed highs, and sounds great for its price, also it looks quite classy and conservative, and is very very durable. And it has very strong isolation.

Jun 12, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #23 of 24
If you are willing to consider IEMs (which should be a significant consideration if you want isolation), I really, really, really recommend you try the JVC FX67, which are a measly $13 on ebay.  Much like the PortaPros and the KSC75 (which have very similar drivers), they have punchy bass (with a very surprising amount of sub bass!!), a flattering high bass hump that makes the presentation very warm, a forward but unsibilant treble, and really rare value.  I have the Koss KSC75 and the JVCs, and owned the PX100, which have a similar FR to the PortaPros, so I am used to and very fond of the warm, lush sound these headphones share.

I also am on the road a lot since I commute (that is, I am commuted) to my university, and I've been wanting to get some nice isolating cans that don't lose bass because of the car's rumbles (neutral and/or non-isolating cans sound bass-light and tinny on the road).  Recently I got the JVC FX67s and couldn't be happier!  They isolate quite well, sound really great, and are freaking $13 like the KSC75.  Since it's cheap, I suggest you get that first and see how it works for you.

Don't hesitate 'cause it's JVC.  Here's a hype thread for them (where someone with a LOT of headphones says he prefers them over some really top rated $150+ IEMs)
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/553590/fx67-revew-a-hidden-gem

Jun 13, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #24 of 24

Quote:
If you are willing to consider IEMs (which should be a significant consideration if you want isolation), I really, really, really recommend you try the JVC FX67, which are a measly $13 on ebay.  Much like the PortaPros and the KSC75 (which have very similar drivers), they have punchy bass (with a very surprising amount of sub bass!!), a flattering high bass hump that makes the presentation very warm, a forward but unsibilant treble, and really rare value.  I have the Koss KSC75 and the JVCs, and owned the PX100, which have a similar FR to the PortaPros, so I am used to and very fond of the warm, lush sound these headphones share.

I also am on the road a lot since I commute (that is, I am commuted) to my university, and I've been wanting to get some nice isolating cans that don't lose bass because of the car's rumbles (neutral and/or non-isolating cans sound bass-light and tinny on the road).  Recently I got the JVC FX67s and couldn't be happier!  They isolate quite well, sound really great, and are freaking $13 like the KSC75.  Since it's cheap, I suggest you get that first and see how it works for you.

Don't hesitate 'cause it's JVC.  Here's a hype thread for them (where someone with a LOT of headphones says he prefers them over some really top rated $150+ IEMs)
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/553590/fx67-revew-a-hidden-gem

Wow... call me intrigued. Thanks for posting that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back