Koss Porta Pro "esque" with isolation?
Jun 11, 2011 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Wholelottalove

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I'm new here, so thank you for this forum.

So here is the case, I love the sound of the koss porta pro, but the headphones leak a lot! I can't even hear anything in the buss.

Is there any headphone with that same punchy bass and fierce sound with good isolation? I actually liked the AKG 518DJ sound, but it was so uncomfortable.

Any advice?

Jun 11, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 24
Ath-SJ5's. A good alternative to the akg 518's. Not as much bass but definitely more comfortable and isolating. And they have much more of a balanced sound.

Jun 12, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #5 of 24
I find that my AKG K240 MKII have a sort of "grown-up" Porta Pro sound. Maybe their closed equivalent, the AKG K271 MKII, could be what you're looking for. They will be harder to drive though.

Jun 12, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #6 of 24
Thank you!

They are too big, I'm not really into that kind of headphones. Now I have a Denon AH-P372 which I really dislike. They are to uncomfortable and the bass isn't...good, they sound to sterile and cold.

I love that rich "bassy" sound. 

Jun 12, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #7 of 24
Have you tried stretching the headband for AKG K518DJ? That usually takes care of the uncomfort. I could only wear my K518DJs 15mins or so b4 intense earpain started but after some headband stretching to loosen up the clamp I could wear it for hrs. Did 2-3 overnight stretching sessions over the box they arrived in on of the sides of it (can't remember which) but I think it might have been 18.5cm or so (I was worried about it getting too loose personally from too wide stretching but yea it definitely didn't become that).

I'm suprised people doesn't try that out first before going for another headphone if they're liking the sound and otherwise K518DJ has a very good design for portable use, good isolation & no leakage, small & lightweight.

Jun 12, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #8 of 24
Well, I'm tall and have a big head, so even when I try to stretch them, they still are so tight that it feels like my head is going to explode.

I don't get it, many people have complained about the same thing, why doesn't AKG fix the problem? The headphone is quite amazing but so uncomfortable. 

Jun 12, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #9 of 24

Quote:
Well, I'm tall and have a big head, so even when I try to stretch them, they still are so tight that it feels like my head is going to explode.

I don't get it, many people have complained about the same thing, why doesn't AKG fix the problem? The headphone is quite amazing but so uncomfortable. 

How long did you try stretch them, I needed to stretch with a wider than my head width for at least over 2 nights, could have been 3 before the grip loosened up suitably. I don't have the smallest head either. :p Like I said it went from ~15 mins usable to at least 2hrs usable. It's all about the width and how long you stretch them.

Jun 12, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #10 of 24
The Sennheiser PX 100 (I think that's it's name.... ) is supposed to be a direct competitor to the Koss Porta Pro - BUT I do not know if you'd have the same problem with those or not. Definitely an alternative to that Koss though apparently. Same price point too.

Jun 12, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #14 of 24
Well if that's the case and you can stretch your budget a bit concider especially M-Audio Q40 or AudioTechnica PRO700MK2, Q40 is a bit more portable I'd say (250g vs 320g) and is cheaper at ~$100 / 100 EUR / ~1000 SEK. They have significantly boosted bass as well as "warmish"/a bit rolled off highs (there's spike at 10kHz but it shouldn't be too bad), like this frequency response graph for Q40 I found also hints:

Both should have a similar sound, PRO700MK2 probably slightly bassier.

You were from sweden right? http://www.djservice.se/?http://www.djservice.se/cgi-bin/db.pl?id=IDS0005647&sok=&q=1&s=1&o=0&l=15&sida=1&template_file=db_vara.html&ref=prisjakt

I'm quite positive M-Audio Q40 is among the most suitable picks you can do, it's very well regarded among bass lovers, the stock pads usually receive some complaint as they aren't of very good quality (can be swapped out for other pads obviously) but other than that it seems to be what you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back